Does anyone know about shortcut virus?

I use a lot of pendrives in my Pc and a problem that I faced which made me mad was those "Shortcut virus".Let me explain it in detail so that you could give me the best solution.I used a Sony 4GB pendrive to copy a movie from my friend. He copied it to pendrive and gave it to me.When I inserted it in my Laptop, All the films which were inside the folder changed to Shortcut of the folder and the films which were not in folder remain the same. So only the films which were outside the folder were not affected.I cant access the folders.Its ok if it was films.What if it was an important document?My friend suggested that it was "Shortcut virus" and it can be only retrieved by using Linux.He used linux and retrieved the data.He also said that you can use USB disk security to safeguard the PC.Does anyone know how to extract the file if I don't have a Linux?Had anyone experienced the same problem?

Replies

• Alok mishra
    Alok mishra
    Yes i had been through this , the quick fix by me was that i stopped putting files into folders . As i experienced files did get affected but folders were more susceptible .
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    You got name of virus, a simple google with "shortcut virus remover" would might have helped you.

Once a virus breaks in your system, you got to look into your system and change the antivirus (I am sure no one here uses legit copy). You never know when your system going to crash.
    Use HiJackThis download | SourceForge.netto see what are program might affecting your machine and fix them.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    I use a lot of pendrives in my Pc and a problem that I faced which made me mad was those "Shortcut virus".Let me explain it in detail so that you could give me the best solution.I used a Sony 4GB pendrive to copy a movie from my friend. He copied it to pendrive and gave it to me.When I inserted it in my Laptop, All the films which were inside the folder changed to Shortcut of the folder and the films which were not in folder remain the same. So only the films which were outside the folder were not affected.I cant access the folders.Its ok if it was films.What if it was an important document?My friend suggested that it was "Shortcut virus" and it can be only retrieved by using Linux.He used linux and retrieved the data.He also said that you can use USB disk security to safeguard the PC.Does anyone know how to extract the file if I don't have a Linux?Had anyone experienced the same problem?
    I faced this virus a year back ๐Ÿ˜€ From what I can remember, it makes shortcuts of files as folders and hide the original files! so if u change settings to show hidden file/folders, your files are safe and sound, present in the same place ๐Ÿ˜€.

Now regarding removal, Use updated Norton Antivirus, even the updated trial version can remove it.๐Ÿ˜
    Lastly, hope that it is the same virus, and not some variant of that virus, because if that's the case, the above steps may not work ๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I felt this question relates a lot of radiative heat transfer and hence i'm posting it here. Actually came up during the moonlit night yesterday. It was disturbing my...
Just hopped across this SpaceX's Grasshopper video which made another feat this month. Is it good (or i would prefer the word feasible to introduce re-usable / balanced re-entry rocket...
This is an amazing feat by an Indian who has seen more and experienced more than any of us here. Around The World On a Motorcycle: An Indian Does It...
WHY SOMETIMES WE GIVING CHOCK TO VEHICLE
Apple's new event will take place at 10 AM Pacific at Yerba Buena Center for arts in San Francisco, California. The even is expected to see the public release of...