Does anybody know how to calculate rivet dia for lap joint

I have 2.6 mm(2+0.6) thickness of plate for lap joint now i want select the rivet dia.How to calculate rivet dia for lap joint.If anybody knows please let me know.assuming zero load acting on it.????????/

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Here are my suggestions
    A] For theoretically zero load, you will not need any joint. Only two plates on one another will solve the purpose (See "Successfully constrained motion").

B]However, if at all there is any load, check for
    1. Tearing efficiency
    2. Crushing efficiency and
    3. Shearing efficiency. Whichever is the least, will be designing parameter for safest design.

C] For economical design, use 3D software.

For developing concept, refer Design of Machine Elements by V.B. Bhandari.

Also check this resource from IGNOU #-Link-Snipped-#
  • gsk_ssit
    gsk_ssit
    Issue
    Here are my suggestions
    A] For theoretically zero load, you will not need any joint. Only two plates on one another will solve the purpose (See "Successfully constrained motion").

B]However, if at all there is any load, check for
    1. Tearing efficiency
    2. Crushing efficiency and
    3. Shearing efficiency. Whichever is the least, will be designing parameter for safest design.

C] For economical design, use 3D software.

For developing concept, refer Design of Machine Elements by V.B. Bhandari.

Also check this resource from IGNOU #-Link-Snipped-#
    THAnk you

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

why heat treatment is required for H13 die steel before machining??
We just wrote about the latest innovation from NXP Semiconductors - production of Yellow LEDs that give you the old 'Yellow' light from the Edison's times. I'm not familiar with...
Engineers at Rice University and Israel's Technion University have created the nanotube fibers which exhibit totally unique properties. First the conductivity is 10 times that of the graphite conductors, strength...
Love free music on your phone? Gaana.com has launched an app for the Android, iOS, Blackberry, Nokia and Samsung platforms - that lets you have access to millions of the...
The next smartphone to wait for is definitely the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Samsung's finally confirmed that the upcoming Galaxy S4 screen will be massive 4.99" wide (diagonally), will have...