Are Machines Gaining Control Over Mankind? - AI Answers

Are Machines Gaining Control Over Mankind? - AI Answers

Well, it could be a sci-fi flick; but I have began believing that machines around us are smart and intelligent enough to act dumb and slowly gain control of human race.

Last month; while driving at night, we lost our road and drove about 50 km before we realized we were on the wrong track. Instead of using our brains to figure out where we are, we simply turned on GPS and reached our destination.

We use Google and Wikipedia to get instant information about anything we want. We don't remember anyone's birthday's anymore - because the cell phone remembers it for us.

Don't you think machines are making us their slaves?

Update: June, 2023

This discussion is almost a decade old. We had no idea back then about the advancements in Artificial Intelligence. However, we are in 2023 now and technologies like ChatGPT have taken over.

Instead of asking humans if they think machines are gaining control over them, I thought of asking the question to Artificial Intelligence (AI).

Here’s my prompt to ChatGPT-4 model and following is the response I received-

Response By AI-

As an AI, I don't have personal beliefs or feelings, but I can provide an analysis based on available data.

As of my last training data in September 2021, it's accurate to say that machines are becoming increasingly integrated into human societies, and their roles are growing.

This includes everything from smart home devices to automated manufacturing systems to AI like me.

These advancements have led to improved efficiency, convenience, and capabilities in many areas.

That being said, the concept of machines "taking over" mankind can be interpreted in a couple of different ways. If you're asking whether machines are becoming self-aware and seizing control, the answer is no. All machines and AI systems still operate based on human-created rules and programming. They can't develop ambitions or desires outside of their programming.

If you're asking whether humans are becoming overly dependent on machines and technology, that's a more complex question. Technology has indeed become deeply ingrained in our daily lives and many societal functions. It has altered the way we communicate, work, play, and even think. This heavy reliance on technology could have potential negative consequences, like a loss of certain skills, decreased privacy, and increased vulnerability to cyber attacks.

Yet, on the flip side, technology has also brought numerous benefits, such as improved healthcare, greater access to information, increased connectivity, and more efficient use of resources. It's also worth noting that as societies, we've gone through similar transitions before, with the advent of writing, the printing press, the industrial revolution, and so on.

So, is technology "taking over"? It's not in the sense of autonomous machines controlling humanity, but it's true that we're becoming more dependent on it. How beneficial or detrimental this is depends largely on how we manage and regulate the use of technology.

As of my knowledge cutoff in 2021, no machine has attained self-awareness or anything close to human consciousness. All AI are tools created and controlled by humans. However, it's a rapidly evolving field and opinions differ on what might be possible in the future. Thus, it is necessary for ongoing discussions and regulations around the ethical use of AI and technology.

Ok, that’s what the AI said. Do let me know your thoughts below. Let’s see where are we going with this.

Replies

• abhishek1814
    abhishek1814
    This is a very good topic biggie.I had this topic in my GD.Well I agree with you that we are becoming slaves.To increase our comfortness we are making machines for every silly thing.Lets start from the beginning of day.A man uses a trimmer,for shaving,which is a machine.There may be days in future where these machines will start ordering and taking charge of humans.e.g movie terminator-rise of machines
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I read in some book that Donald Trump neither uses computer nor cell-phone. He wrote, he shouts name of people in his office and thinks it works quicker than the intercom 😁

So I guess smart people refrain from depending themselves too much on technology and machines.

But, it won't be too long, when machines take over the mankind.. at least the common man.. 😲
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Good Point Ankita.

There should be limits in usage of machines. We should not be lazy such that machine works for us!! We are depending yes ,but machines overtaking humans I think its take a bit long.

But looking at TED's devices , I wonder the day may be near too.
  • rishi0922
    rishi0922
    Its 100% true fact that machines are taking all the controls slowly and slowly from Human Being. And it is the creation of human only, and I think it's very necessary for the restful life of human. There is not a single field where human is not making machines work, but the main thing about this is the super control system of all the machines is taking place in the human MIND, so in a short sentence we can say that

MINDS are developing itself to give a calmful rest to itself
  • gohm
    gohm
    Being that the machines currently are designed, manufactured, maintained & programmed by humans to serve our needs I think it is the other way around. At any point I can choose to turn the device off or begin to commit to memory dates and phone numbers.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    But , there may be something like Artificial Intelligence where in you cannot control it?

Situation may arise!! so the more developed systems we use, the more lazier people are becoming.
    Moreover, the systems taking control may happen. echelon conspiracy 😀
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, all movies based on the negative, unwanted effects of AI, like Echelon Conspiracy, Eagle Eye etc.. are based on the assumption that the humans just allowed the machines to grow and gain intelligence on their own until a tipping point was reached and a threshold was crossed, after which, the machines started controlling the lives of humans.

But, on deep thinking, it will be evident that this problem can be countered by just implementing some form of control over the intelligence of machines. That is, even at the preliminary stages of designing of new AI based machines, if we impose control over what all a machine can learn and what would be the limit to a machine's intelligence, then there will be no such fears.

Well, we can argue that imposing such a control would be impossible due to competition in research et all.. But still, in my opinion, if at all there is a possibility of machines gaining control of humans, it is definitely very far far away in the future, and I doubt we'll be there to witness it.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The present situation is that humans are pampered by the machines a lot. If someone wants to talk to someone who sits in the same room, but a different cubicle, we use an intercom. They are too lazy to walk up to that cubicle and talk. This is just one case. Why do you need to waste money by going to a gym, muai thai classes, and (yes) pole dancing classes. Just walk when you get a chance, and stop being lazy. The ease offered by machines are just making you lazier and lazier. The laziness is only in your body, but slowly, it will creep in your mind. Nowadays, no one multiplies a number greater than two digits to a single digit number. Why should he do, you have a calculator. Then you take seperate coaching to develop your brain. You don't have to walk to your workplace which is 100-150 metre away, but why should you walk, machines will do it for you. And we blame the food we eat for being too oily or calorific.
    Think humans!
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    I agree we are totally hooked on to all kinds of devices around us. But my opinion is very basic about this-when it is MAN vs MACHINE we'll just PULL THE PLUG.😉
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    We are creating machines which can be self powered, that is, we do NOT need to use a plug to operate them. What can a man possibly do if they can make their own food? Answer me people!
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    If you were driving at night, you weren't walking; you were relying on a machine to transport you and light the way. So if "control" is accomplished through dependence, you were already dependent on machines before you turned on the GPS.

I don't think machines "control" people unless there are situations where the machine has some will and purpose of its own. Things such as organizations and social customs "control" what people do, in some sense. However, even with those things, one must take an abstract view to imagine that an organization or a society is something that has a will and a purpose.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    tashirosgt
    If you were driving at night, you weren't walking; you were relying on a machine to transport you and light the way. So if "control" is accomplished through dependence, you were already dependent on machines before you turned on the GPS.

I don't think machines "control" people unless there are situations where the machine has some will and purpose of its own. Things such as organizations and social customs "control" what people do, in some sense. However, even with those things, one must take an abstract view to imagine that an organization or a society is something that has a will and a purpose.
    I understand. I'm concerned about devices getting smarter. I believe by the end of the century, we'll actually have thinking machines and they'll be able to decide whether they want to follow human instructions. I think we're taking baby steps closer to artificial intelligence.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    Machines are build to help us & serve our various needs so that we can stride faster. If we don't use machines we will lose our efficiency by atleast 80 percent. They are made to increase your potentials & capabilities. Your phone remembers phone numbers & birthday of your near & dear ones for you so that you can concentrate & remember other important & urgent works. It depends how you see the matter. If machines makes you lazy then its your fault. You would have used them to increase your capability. When you are unnecessarily chatting & wasting time in social networking site, its your fault you could have used that time & energy to search something important in the internet. Its all your fault. Machines can't do anything on their own, atleast till now, its your mind & senses that bends & feeds you whatever you want.
    At present machines have very low level of AI. Machines have limited capabilities like holding a cup of tea, learning to walk & mimicking facial expression. AI is in incipient stage now. Scientists have predicted that after 40-50 years, machines will have an intelligence level of 3 year old chimpanzee's baby. It's quite inevitable that the AI will progress at accelerated rate after that.
    In my opinion future is going to change abruptly & it will occur in our lifetime. In future, current division of people by their caste, creed religion, color etc will diminish. They will be divided into two groups - super humans & normal humans. Super humans will be genetically enhanced people & cyborgs who will have machines embedded within them. As machines will possess higher level of AI, we will be needing to enhance ourselves & become like them before they surpass & conquer us. This process has already started, at present, there are some people who have embedded capsule chips in their body so that they can interact with home appliances. Some have even embedded metal parts within their bones which makes them stronger. They are the primitive cyborgs.
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    A critical question is what will the exact nature of successful artificial intelligence turn out to be. If it can be accomplished with conventional software then programmers can understand and control the goals of the machine. If is must be programmed by something like neural net architecture and "trained" then it won't be possible to precisely state the goals of the machine.

vik001d brings up another crucial point: will intelligent machines appear suddenly or gradually. How much time will people have to adapt? Another question is whether intelligent machines will have a scheme of effective communication with each other. Given current trends, they probably will. Perhaps part of our brain will be replaced with an intelligent machine.

However, there is a phenomenon known as "prophetic foreshortening". Prophets who forsee the shape of the future, usually see it taking shape a long time before it actually does.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    But it is still in our hands,we can switch off them anytime. 😁
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear CEans,
    Just imagine you have a PA who looks after all your private and official financial matters. Suppose that person is the best at the job, and you get pampered by that person's work and you trust him/her, you never mind and monitor anything which that person does. The person, on the other hand, can deceive you without you noticing it. Similar is the case of AI powered machines. When the machine you use learns the act of deceit, what can you possibly do? Get doomed, most probably.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Whats In Name
    But it is still in our hands,we can switch off them anytime. 😁
    I said,"We are creating machines which can be self powered, that is, we do NOT need to use a plug to operate them. What can a man possibly do if they can make their own food? "
  • crazyaddiction
    crazyaddiction
    but don't you people think that this is a good sign !! "THE INVENTION TAKING OVER INVENTOR" !! machines controlling us doesn't always mean we are becoming slaves here ..
    feel it , we are making things which can control themselves ... they may become needy in saving us in the future too !!
    i agree to the point that we are becoming lazy !! but that doesn't mean we are struck helpless !!
  • Smell Smoke
    Smell Smoke
    Todays hindu had a small article by George thomas who wrote about a hard incident in which he had to spent half an hour infront of a e machine inorder to put a cheque at his bank and failed in the end.He wrote a valid point about checking the spaces where all the technology willl be useful and there only implementing it. Blindly going behind technology is not good to anyone.
    So yes,these incidents prove we are turning out to be the slaves of technology than the other way it should be.
  • Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    From the day the wheel was set into motion, mankind have had always depended on machines for their leisure and to make things better. Machines are definitely an integral part in today's world, but the day will soon come when the machines will gain control over mankind. Today, we are so dependent on machines that we even depend on them for our daily morning exercises or so, instead of going for a good healthy morning walk.

A person is buying a machine or that machine is buying the person(indirectly) is what needs to be given a thought!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

uTest - an online service that allows companies to crowdsource their testing needs to over 30k+ professional software testing engineers has raised $13 million from Scale Venture Partners. With this...
Hi fnds,do anybody know how to execute the java constraint program in netbeans 6.8? i searched in google but i could not find out..
Hi all, The name is Rao, Pavan Rao. I'm a Production Engineer by graduation but a Software QA Test engineer by profession. Don't ask how I got there. It's a...
I have a HTC Desire handset obtained from Europe recently through a friend. The device is an original and has not been modded / broken in any manner. I also...
larceny (n): Theft; robbery The strict legal definition of larceny is theft without breaking in, or without the use of force. Grand larceny is major theft. To be larcenous is...