Do you agree with Steve Jobs that we're in a post-PC era?

Steve Jobs, while unveiling iPad 2 said that we're living in a post - PC era and Apple started that era back in 2000 when they introduced the iPod (not sure of the exact launch year).

Do you imagine a future where there will only be handheld gadgets, tablets that will entirely replace the desktops and laptops?

What's your take?

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    yes i think this happen soon by the latest and advanced tech
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    The_Big_K
    Steve Jobs, while unveiling iPad 2 said that we're living in a post - PC era and Apple started that era back in 2000 when they introduced the iPod (not sure of the exact launch year).

Do you imagine a future where there will only be handheld gadgets, tablets that will entirely replace the desktops and laptops?

What's your take?
    The Buzz Word for the Future:
    For Heaven's sake please take all the chargers with you!!! ๐Ÿ˜

But this will happen! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, but the tablets aren't powerful yet and can't do everything a laptop or desktop can. For example, it won't run Crysis ๐Ÿ˜‰ . However the pace at which technology is advancing, we can surely expect talbets to be more powerful. I however think tablets need at least 5 years to be accepted as the primary means of computing.

Office workstations and desktops will stay at least for next 10-15 years.
    The_Big_K
    Office workstations and desktops will stay at least for next 10-15 years.
    Servers and Clouds definitely need Desktops and Servers to handle their load and stuff. Right? How can they be replaced???
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We are not in post PC era 'right now'.
    But yeah, as praveen pointed out we will them for servers, till we find out other hardware alternatives.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    praveenscience
    The Buzz Word for the Future:
    For Heaven's sake please take all the chargers with you!!! ๐Ÿ˜

But this will happen! ๐Ÿ˜”
    One of the CEans should discover Solar Powered Tablets ๐Ÿ˜‰
    The_Big_K
    One of the CEans should discover Solar Powered Tablets ๐Ÿ˜‰
    He he... Now what's gonna be happening with the petrol stuff? How long will they provide us fuel???
  • H.Ali
    H.Ali
    pc will never die.๐Ÿ˜
    the battery back up for the laptops and tablets very low๐Ÿ˜”
    in my openion if after laptops with months of back up,solar charged tablets or some thing like that have been invented, pc's will be in use
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    pc will never die
    I doubt that! Earlier, even Bill Gates thought that humans won't need more than just few KB RAM. ๐Ÿ˜€ PCs will die - totally in next 20 years. The need of the hour is smaller and longer lasting batteries. Plus, with electronics advancing to a state where the components consume lesser power, solar enabled devices will soon be a reality.
  • andyKane
    andyKane
    In next 10 years probably.. PC Die Die Die !!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I hope so. I still wonder that when we have laptops more powerful than desktops (at least for business use), why are desktops so bulky and space eating? Desktop sizes should have been shrunk by now except for the monitors.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    I hope so. I still wonder that when we have laptops more powerful than desktops (at least for business use), why are desktops so bulky and space eating? Desktop sizes should have been shrunk by now except for the monitors.
    We have ITX form factors.. they aren't so bulky ๐Ÿ˜‰

Besides, in the future "PCs" will not be standalone devices sitting on the desk, it'll probably be integrated within the environment or the display. Also, it is kind of fun to do case mods.. so desktops will still have their appeal for some time!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I got the following technical specifications of Bajaj Pulsar 135 LS. Being totally new to automobile engineering and the engines, I'd like to have your opinion on this motorcycle -...
Aruna Shanbaug is bedridden since last 37 years, she can't see properly or hear. She's mostly under coma following an attack on her in the hospital. Aruna's friend, Pinki Virani...
Indian IT industries are experiencing massive growth and are planning to recruite thousands of candidates in the current fiscal year. Read: Infosys Hiring 26000 in 2011. Domain Experts Will Be...
Twitter - the rapidly growing status update service is now valued at whooping $7.7 in the second market. Investors have agreed to pay $34.50 a share for Twitter in the...
Check out this cool video from our friends at Engineering.com [video=youtube;fmefeTajAT8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmefeTajAT8&feature=player_embedded[/video]