Do planes have specified route?

Do planes and ships have a specified route..or can they roam simply in air/water...so as to reach the destination.

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Of course they do.. If not, there are bound to be worst collisions and accidents..

For all purposes, ocean and the sky are nothing different from roads, except they don't have traffic signals.
    Other than that, air planes and ships do have a very definite route prescribed for them. If for some reason like a storm or lack of visibility, that route could not be taken, then some alternatives will be there.

Again, I'm not exactly sure how it all works, but common sense will tell you that if you allow planes to randomly take whichever route they want to reach a destination, then sooner or later, some plane or the other will crash into some other plane.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Well, SS, you are right... Planes use Radar technology to track their location and send it to the base. The base will be monitoring the traffic and the route and they would be giving them the instructions like when to take a turn and the angle of flight. I guess I am right... Something called autopilot mode is also available where, these activities are done by the automated machine, instead of the human intervention... 😀
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yes they have specific route. i'll tell you what i know of the air traffic route control. there air air traffic control centres situated in many places around the earth. they have a specific region under their supervision. when a plane moves from one place to another the ATCC keep giving them the instruction as the altitude and angle which they have to follow. most of these air traffic control towers are located in the airports.

[​IMG]
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    even while landing they will be given instruction by these ATC centres and the planes have to be circling in the air till they get the permission to land. so the plane is controlled from the ground throughout it's journey.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yep it uses Radar technology, you have to move in a direction if you are making a mistake it corrects you.

Its more or less uses satellite communication etc.

and Auto pilot mode is something else, as I know it is used in scenarios where pilot will be unable to control the plane.

For example if the left engine is malfunctioning then the pilot has to pull with much force on the left side in these scenarios Auto pilot will help.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Hey, someone said me that, when the fuel gets low or drained, the flight bursts! Is it true and why does it occur???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Money magazine and PayScale.com teamed up to rank the top 100 careers with great pay and growth prospects, as well as categorical lists such as job growth potential, stress levels,...
Lecture Series on Soil Mechanics by Prof.B.V.S.Viswanadham and Prof.G.Venkatachalam,Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Bombay. [video=youtube;V1m3cB-Aqy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1m3cB-Aqy8[/video]
Let's solve this problem civil CEans!!!! 😀😒 PArabolic load
this thread will feature the video lectures for the topic: compaction of soil under the soil engineering subject [video=youtube;nyVfT473u68]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyVfT473u68&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Let us discuss on the facts and technology mentioned in this video. 😀 [video=youtube;nPusHeDlBxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPusHeDlBxQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]