Do Certificate Courses Help In Interviews?

I am a second year Engg. student.
1) I want to ask you that is certified course are beneficial at the time of interview ?
2)I am thinking for GRE so what can i do for that as i am in second year Computer Engg. student? Is there is some extra things which helps me in future?
Thank you.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    suyog
    1) I want to ask you that is certified course are beneficial at the time of interview ?
    2)I am thinking for GRE so what can i do for that as i am in second year Computer Engg. student? Is there is some extra things which helps me in future?
    Thank you.
    1. Not sure what certified courses you're talking about. Assuming that you're talking about courses like RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) and others; the answer is yes - they will help. But looking at the trend among engineering students to collect certificates by attending courses and not knowing a thing about technology / domain it can seriously go against. The expectations from a certified professional will be slightly higher and the interviewers may go asking questions of higher difficulty.

The bottom line is - you've to know the subject well to make an impression in the interview. Certification is just a confirmation of it.

2. Unless you've a strong reason to take GRE while you're in second year of engineering; you should typically appear for it when you're in final year. Else, you could go for a trial attempt in second year and 'final' attempt when you're in final year.
  • manishks
    manishks
    The_Big_K
    1. Not sure what certified courses you're talking about. Assuming that you're talking about courses like RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) and others; the answer is yes - they will help. But looking at the trend among engineering students to collect certificates by attending courses and not knowing a thing about technology / domain it can seriously go against. The expectations from a certified professional will be slightly higher and the interviewers may go asking questions of higher difficulty.

The bottom line is - you've to know the subject well to make an impression in the interview. Certification is just a confirmation of it.

2. Unless you've a strong reason to take GRE while you're in second year of engineering; you should typically appear for it when you're in final year. Else, you could go for a trial attempt in second year and 'final' attempt when you're in final year.
    Sir even i had the same question in mind. Many of my friends are thinking of doing some certification courses from institutes like NIIT, APTECH etc. They say it will give them an edge over others! Is it true? If one know C# or any other language then is it necessary to give some proof of it to the interviewers?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Certificate - is what it is - certification of you skills. If you have 4 certifications then interviewers will definitely be interested in you. But given the declining quality of education offered by even the renowned institutes, the big question remains: Do you really know the domain in which you're certified?

Imagine yourself in an interviewer's position. You are interviewing a candidate who's got certification in XYZ domain or technology. You, being an experienced expert in that domain start questioning the basics and the candidate looks at your with a blank face. Would you hire the candidate? You need not give any proof to the interviewers. If you've mentioned C# in the languages you know - then you're expected to have the basic and intermediate level knowledge of the language.

I remember interviewing one such candidate. Couldn't answer simple questions. Was rejected on the spot.

The summary is - you can go for any certification - but make sure that you're interested in it and actually become good in it.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    suyog
    Thank you.
    Good to know that you have decided to take the GRE exam while you are still in your 2nd year. ๐Ÿ‘
    If you want to go for higher studies immediately after your Graduation.
    I would say take the GRE exam while you are in your 6th Semester. So that you get your score card by the time you complete your 6th Semester.
    You will get sufficient time to prepare your application envelope.
    In the 7th Semester you can start applying to the Universities, most Universities have December / January month as their deadline if you want to apply for fall.

Also, if your college is providing scholarships or fee waiver for higher studies to students; then if you have your score card ASAP, it will be in your advantage.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    suyog
    Thank you.
    Yes, they are really beneficial in proving your skills in a particular domain
    But, I would suggest you to appear for internationally recognized certifications like
    Microsoft Certification programs
    for more : #-Link-Snipped-#

Oracle Certification :
    for more: #-Link-Snipped-#

You should be thorough in the domain you are getting certified.

Don't just rely on Dumps available to pass the exam then the certification is useless.
  • suyog
    suyog
    Thank you very much for good suggetions really happy but i have another question that if i will go for GRE exam in 6th sem. 1)In which sem. i can start my studies?
    2)should i go for GRE books ?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    suyog
    Thank you very much for good suggetions really happy but i have another question that if i will go for GRE exam in 6th sem. 1)In which sem. i can start my studies?
    2)should i go for GRE books ?
    You can start immediately after your 4th semester exams. Prepare a study plan for your vacations post exam and a study plan while you are attending your 5th semester. Get a hang of it (the GRE pattern and syllabus) in your vacation time and during your semester devote to revision and solving mock test and many many many questions. Verbal will be tough, Quants is pretty easy to score.

I don't know much about the new GRE pattern. I have taken the old GRE pattern.
    You could start by improving you vocabulary, 'Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis' is a good book to start with. It explains words through Etymology, will be very helpful in the initial stage.
    Buy Barrons book, start solving the Quants from day one.

These are the books I can suggest as of now. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ‘
  • suyog
    suyog
    thank you.
  • suyog
    suyog
    Hello,
    1)AS i am thinking for GRE at same time i am also confused about GATE which i think economically comfortable so should i go for GATE ?
    2)Tell me information about GATE exam.
    Thank you
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    suyog
    Hello,
    1)AS i am thinking for GRE at same time i am also confused about GATE which i think economically comfortable so should i go for GATE ?
    Thank you
    You're confused between GRE & GATE? Tell us why do you want to go for Post Graduation in the first place? Is it because your family told you so or all your friends are doing it?

2. Do you know Google search? -> Google
  • suyog
    suyog
    I am going for Post Graduation because it wiil be beneficial nd may helps for good job. And personally i want to be highly qualified..
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    suyog
    Hello,
    Thank you
    Do some good research on both GRE and GATE, you understand it better when you read it yourself.

Here is a trusted link to get some really good information on higher studies:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    suyog
    I am going for Post Graduation because it wiil be beneficial nd may helps for good job. And personally i want to be highly qualified..

You can get good jobs if you are skilled in your field.
    Don't rely on higher studies for good jobs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bike. Run. Jam. Introducing Motoactv by Motorola, the ultimate fusion of fitness and music It is an android powered watch. WORLD'S FIRST GPS FITNESS TRACKER WITH SMART MP3 PLAYER, check...
Electrical or electronics engineers can just work on this idea as a final year project. I believe we've discussed it in tits & bits in various discussions on the forum....
Online protest seems to be a range among the youth. You can now join a protest right from the comfort of your home or your cozy cubicle in the office....
When i search for some particular topic for latest news, i mostly end with older messages which gets me annoyed.
Sir , I am doing 3 year BE electrical electronic engineering . I would like to join in the Tneb as a government servant . So what is the procedure...