DIY Microscope Built From A Smartphone And $10 Hardware For Biology Labs

If you are a biology enthusiast and love exploring the nature around you with your own custom built microscope, the solution from the students at Missouri University of Science and Technology is something to capture your interest. With the use of hardware worth $10 and a smartphone, you can build your own microscopes for your school's biology lab or your mini projects at home. The Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Microscope was built using nuts, wing nuts, washers, plywood and carriage bolts. Other things used in the project are also something you can easily find at home, such as LED click lights, laser pointer lenses and your old smartphone for viewing and enlarging lab specimens.

smartphone_microscope_study

The microscope built by the students at Missouri University of Science and Technology is capable of magnifying samples up to 175 times with a single laser pointer lens, or up to 400 times when stacking two lenses. The teachers at the institute are pleasantly surprised at the results these microscopes showed. In fact, they were better than most DIY kits available for purchase online.

How do you like the idea of making a DIY microscope at home? Share your thoughts and ideas with us in comments.

Missouri S&T – News and Events – Reinventing biology lab with $10 and a smartphone

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Awesome DIY for budding enthusiasts .
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Impressive while reading.
    I would love to hear from any CEan who will actually plan to use this for the DIY microphone for college project?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A lot of people tend to forget taking their pills when they are on long term medication. Those who suffer from chronic pain need to take pills at regular intervals...
https://www.flipkart.com/mi3/p/itmdxsvrrerjhztf?pid=MOBDXSVH7HHHNK8J
Join Us For The Grand Launch Of CrazyEngineers T-Shirt! Thursday, 7 August, 2014 @ 6:00 PM (IST) ​It's been a really long wait! We're now ready to reveal the CrazyEngineers...
Fiat India Automobiles Limited has unveiled their all new premium hatchback in India with Fiat Punto Evo at a launch event in Delhi, India. Coming in four engine variants with...
hello sir, I am B.Tech(civil) 2nd year student.I want to Prepare for GATE exam from now onwards.sir,please suggest me how to start and what is the preparation strategy for preparing...