Direct Signalling For Trains.

I am IIIrd year electronics and communication engineering student and i want to work on following project and i need your help........

Now a days trains have offline signaling. The train driver will have to look for the signal manually and take an action according to the signal available. If by any chance if he misses a signal that can be very fatal. So if there is a direct signaling mechanism to get the signal inside the train itself then its really useful in saving a lot of lives.The concept is to setup a short range transmitter on every signaling pole so that the train can pick up the signal as it approaches the pole.

I am not getting how to start with this project please help me, please help me.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yes we can make one by setting up GPS device in each train.
  • Someoneyrs
    Someoneyrs
    But this method is quite costlier and i want some economical method.
    Can laser work?
    Please suggest some more methods.
  • Someoneyrs
    Someoneyrs
    By the way how can i go with GPS.
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    May be you can do this by using shortrange wireless transmitter. It is the same concept being used in walkie-talkie.
  • payala
    payala
    That system you are talking about is already developed and in-use (at least in Spain). It is called ASFA. It works since the 70's and is based on electromagnetic transponders that are linked to the signals. In some cases the system can even force an automatic brake.

However, it is finding some limitations with high-speed trains, and it will soon (railway-order soon.... 10-20 years) be gradually substituted by GSM-R.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well trains are already fitted with anti-braking systems,which are working perfectly fine,this concept can be further extention of anti-braking systems but what happens if it fails??? i would really like to know the limitations??
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    payala
    That system you are talking about is already developed and in-use (at least in Spain). It is called ASFA. It works since the 70's and is based on electromagnetic transponders that are linked to the signals. In some cases the system can even force an automatic brake.

However, it is finding some limitations with high-speed trains, and it will soon (railway-order soon.... 10-20 years) be gradually substituted by GSM-R.
    Welcome to CE payala
    nice information there
  • payala
    payala
    sauravgoswami
    Well trains are already fitted with anti-braking systems,which are working perfectly fine,this concept can be further extention of anti-braking systems but what happens if it fails??? i would really like to know the limitations??
    That is one of the biggest difficulties in railway systems design, safety is critical. If a system failure implies loss of life, it has to be designed so that failure is almost impossible (and I say almost because impossible is nothing).

In the railway, there are many systems that have these strict requirements. They are known as RAMS requirements (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety) and here Safety as in plane crashes not as in policemen. Depending on the implications of the failure of that system it is assigned a SIL(Safety Integrity Level) level, which goes from 1 to 4.

Believe me, designing a SIL4 system is really difficult, and it is almost impossible that a dangerous failure could occur.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Good point! Many systems now are going fully automated with a human interface, i.e. conductor, only as a backup and operator of the doors. Some short distance limited stop routes are even fully automated as ground transport between buildings, lots or airport terminals.

payala

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    @payala : well i would have like to have provision of manual operation too,secondly,fully automated systems are more prone to be breached and when it comes to security chances cannot be taken,however,i am more insterested in technical limitations??? and how different it would be from anti-braking systems???
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Pardon my ignorance i have a doubt ๐Ÿ˜€
    Guys i would like to know one thing .
    If security is concerned , if some one hacks the network and guides the train some where ??
    Manual intervention is required i think ๐Ÿ˜€. Just let us know the limitations .
    But regarding the project your idea and knowledge is excellent.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Systems are put into place to prevent this from happening. All operations are controlled and overseen from a command center that has full monitoring and override capability. So far I have never heard of anyone being able to hack in and control trains, switch gear or signal systems.

English-Scared
    Pardon my ignorance i have a doubt ๐Ÿ˜€
    Guys i would like to know one thing .
    If security is concerned , if some one hacks the network and guides the train some where ??
    Manual intervention is required i think ๐Ÿ˜€. Just let us know the limitations .
    But regarding the project your idea and knowledge is excellent.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Continued Below is a pic of the tube connection and powered up. Next was to mount the Inverter. Since the BenQ one was of low profile type, the sharp one...
From waste to transport fuel, a two-day event to be held in Loughborough London, 11 May 2009 โ€“ Cenex, the UKโ€™s Centre of Excellence in Low Carbon and Fuel Cell...
Front picture A close up Notice the front screws, well the TV was used in a place without AC, and it is pretty hot here in Maldives. So the plastic...
Dear All I'm from Kuala Lumpur and working with National Oil Company. I'm been train in Mechanical Engineering. Currently involve more with procurement for offshore project requirement. Hopefully can share...
A completely new and Unique Training Program launched by Prof. Krishnansh Ashwani Agarwal on Technology Oriented LifeStyle named Next Orbit of Life A Slide Show on Pranwatch.blogspot.com on the Subject...