Direct injection of petrol

hi everyone..

i just have a small query...is the direct injection of petrol a commercially successfull one? if so where.... because gasoline direct injection engines are in use for luxury cars only.....

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well petrol in every sence is costlier,but if it can increase the mileage then it will be surely welcomed!!!!
  • gohm
    gohm
    I guess it depends on where you live. Mazda has some direct injection in cars far from luxury.

kingsly
    hi everyone..

i just have a small query...is the direct injection of petrol a commercially successfull one? if so where.... because gasoline direct injection engines are in use for luxury cars only.....
  • vijaypise
    vijaypise
    as petrol is most flamable than diesel it has to be mixed with proper amount of air hence direct injection is not used
  • gohm
    gohm
    Doesn't the VW tdi use direct injection in it's diesel motor?
  • veena912
    veena912
    i think instead of direct fuel injection u can be more focussed on micro injection fuel system which will be more effective
  • gohm
    gohm
    Can you give some specifics to kingsly why?
  • khooper
    khooper
    most of the manufacturers have direct injection petrol engines in europe and its the latest technology in petrol engines after fuel injection it might come in india in another 2-3 years,it might make its indian debut with audi A3,VW group calls its DI petrol engines fsi and offers it in the RS version of the latest octavia in europe,i wish skoda offered the engine option with the laura.
    Conventional gasoline engines are designed to use an electronic fuel injection system, replacing the traditional mechanical carburetion system. Multi-point injection (MPI), where the fuel is injected through each intake port, is currently one of the most widely used systems. Although MPI provides a drastic improvement in response and combustion quality, it is still limited due to fuel and air mixing prior to entering the cylinder.
    To further increase response time and combustion efficiency, while lowering fuel consumption and increasing output, systems may use direct injection. Gasoline direct injection engines are engineered to inject the gasoline directly into the cylinder in a manner similar to diesel direct injection engines.
    Direct injection is designed to allow greater control and precision, resulting in better fuel economy. This is accomplished by enabling combustion of an ultra-lean mixture under many operating conditions. Direct injection is also designed to allow higher compression ratios, delivering higher performance with lower fuel consumption. Currently, direct injection gasoline engines are being deployed throughout Europe in passenger cars.
    Its main benefit is it saves fuel and emission is very less.

ford is introducing direct injection cars for more information go to:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    In internal combustion engines , gasoline direct injection is a latest variant of fuel injection employed in modern two and four stroke petrol engines. The petrol/gasoline is highly pressurized, and injected via a common rail fuel line directly into the combustion chamber of each cylinder, as opposed to conventional multi-point that happens in the intake tract, or cylinder port.
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    Theory of operation

The major advantages of a GDI engine are increased fuel efficiency and high power output. In addition, the cooling effect of the injected fuel, and the more evenly dispersed mixtures allow for more aggressive ignition timing curves. Emissions levels can also be more accurately controlled with the GDI system. The cited gains are achieved by the precise control over the amount of fuel and injection timings which are varied according to the load conditions. In addition, there are no throttling losses in some GDI engines, when compared to a conventional fuel injected or carbureted engine, which greatly improves efficiency, and reduces 'pumping losses' in engines without a throttle plate. Engine speed is controlled by the EMS, which regulates fuel injection function and ignition timing, instead of having a throttle plate which restricts the incoming air supply. Adding this function to the EMS requires considerable enhancement of its processing and memory, as direct injection plus the engine speed management must have very precise algorithms for good performance/drive ability.
    The engine management system continually chooses among three combustion modes: ultra learn burn, Stoichiometricstoichiometric, and full power output. Each mode is characterized by the air fuel ratio. The stoichiometric air-fuel ratio for petrol (gasoline) is 14.7:1 by weight, but ultra lean mode can involve ratios as high as 65:1 (or even higher in some engines, for very limited periods). These mixtures are much leaner than in a conventional engine and reduce fuel consumption considerably.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    nice brief up,how much it costs???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

These are the words typically used by your boss in meetings, coffee rooms, seminars, presentations etc. These words bore you, confuse you, annoy & irritate you. Let's collect all these...
Dear fellow engineers, Kindly give me the applications for the following: 1) RC coupled Amplifier 2) Direct Coupled Amplifier 3) Emitter Follower
CEans, I got following question from one of the senior executive of power generation company. I'm pasting the text from email :- It is observed that solid state electronic relay...
CEans, Is there any equipment/machine which gives instantaneous, proximate or ultimate analysis of coal. Any ideas about the cost of such equipment?
I'm surprised no one started this topic on CE 😀 ! Right now, I'm on Windows Vista (32) [Business Edition] and running Firefox 3 (latest) and Google Chrome (latest). I've...