Direct from Yashwant Kanetkar - Author of Let Us C

CEans!

Good news for all of you! πŸ˜€

Mr. Yashwant Kanetkar, renowned author of 'Let us C', has agreed for a small talk with CE 😁😁!

This time, we want to do it differently. If you have questions for Mr. Kanetkar, please post them in this thread. The best questions will be picked up & will be included in our questionnaire! [​IMG]

We have 3 more days to collect the questions. So let's get started. Post your questions!

-The Big K-

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh yes, forgot to add - Make sure your questions are the 'Interview' Questions. Don't post your 'C/C++' related problems πŸ˜‰

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    "Can I have a complimentary copy of your book, pretty please?" πŸ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    "Can I have a complimentary copy of your book, pretty please?" πŸ˜›
    You think I'm joking? Can we have better questions, please 😁

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sorry πŸ˜‰ Hey, who knows, maybe you need to add some humour in the interview to lighten things up! Anyway, I'm not too familiar with the author, so I just googled him up.

what about: "What is the main challenge to author/write about a technical language such as C so that even those who have no knowledge in it will quickly learn"... or something like that. hmm..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Sorry πŸ˜‰ Hey, who knows, maybe you need to add some humour in the interview to lighten things up! Anyway, I'm not too familiar with the author, so I just googled him up.

what about: "What is the main challenge to author/write about a technical language such as C so that even those who have no knowledge in it will quickly learn"... or something like that. hmm..
    Good question, Ash 😁 !

I don't know about Malaysia, but "Let us C" is read by almost all CS students in India 😁 . What say, fellas? Have you read 'Let us C'?

He has many top ranking titles to his credit. I'm going to ask him about his early days after post graduation. Of course, its not going to be a 'serious' interview. But this is our chance to extract as much as possible (with the possible exception of complimentary books) in a short time.

So there will be serious, techie type of questions (hopefully) and a rapid fire which is going to be 'funny' 😁

Keep flooding your questions, fellas!

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How about something like.. what is the importance of C in today's world.. or what is the future of C with the advent of JAVA and stuff.

Or do you think those are too general?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good questions, waiting for more! πŸ˜€

CEans! Keep adding your questions!

-The Big K-
  • Elisa
    Elisa
    "Sir, you are a mechanical engineer. What motivated you to join the computer world?"

and

"Tell us about the toughest programming challenge you have faced in your career"

Please tell me if these questions look ok. I will add more later.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Wow, good Q's Elisa! and yea we should have more humor like, is it possible for youto give all the members of CE a free copy? OR a little more serious.

"What do you think about your books being sold by street vendors for half the price?? Do you support free distribution of knowledge?"

OR something more serious.

"What made you getup one fine morning and think of writing a book? What was your motivation?"

And beggie if he can join the forum, we will fry him up with much more difficult questions.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm going to ask him to do that but the probability of Mr. Kanetkar joining forum & posting actively is like 1/344994888995920. πŸ˜›

Waiting for more questions !

-The Big K-
  • xero
    xero
    Finally something called Language D(m not joking !!) has arrived; as a re-engineer of C++, though pretty influenced its not a variant of the same, but by Java, C#, Eiffel and some special features include mixins. Do you think this new language can be as efficients as the rest ?

For more info on Language D

refer

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mayank
    Mayank
    Hi Biggie,

Here is one of the question that I myself always wanted to ask to Yashwant Kanetkar. Though it is a bit negative question but I know you will be able to frame it quite well πŸ˜€.

"All the books that you have written on C are exceptionally good. But why is that your books on C++/VC++ and other similar stuff also follows the same pattern. 'Let Us C' being a procedural language the style of description suits its applicability. On the other hand books on C++/VC++ follows the same procedural approach while elaborating Object Oriented Concepts, which is, in a way an injustice to the Object Oriented Methodology. These books mainly talk about the syntax and the semantics of the language without emphasizing on Object modeling and the underlying change in approach to programing."

Biggie, in my question above I have tried to explain things in a bit detailed fashion and you may not state it as it is. Frame your own words and phrases that suits you and the momentum/pace of your questionnaire with him.

Regards,
    Mayank
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Friends, we've (well, CEan Xero & I) had a wonderful time interviewing Mr. Kanetkar. The interview will go live on CE on 15th of this month πŸ˜€

We couldn't cover all the questions because of the limited time we had for the interview. We will continue to discuss Kanetkar Sir's replies to our questions.

-The Big K-
  • crook
    crook
    I'm late !!!! πŸ˜” I had few questions for Mr. Kanetkar πŸ˜”

waiting for the interview!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Fellas! Check out our front page! Our small talk with Mr. Kanetkar is live on CE!

Do not forget to post your thoughts in this thread 😁

Rock On!

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Great interview! Thanks Big K and Xero.. can't wait for the next interview πŸ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    I'm going to ask him to do that but the probability of Mr. Kanetkar joining forum & posting actively is like 1/344994888995920. πŸ˜›

Waiting for more questions !

-The Big K-
    Asking a question out of blueπŸ˜’ and No link with this thread...

Why you choose this number... 1/344994888995920 Any specific reason? I am a bit puzzledπŸ˜•πŸ˜•.

CrazyBoy
  • rosh009
    rosh009
    even i am late!πŸ˜” but still atleast from s out here i would like to know the answer for this sentence by yashwant kanetkar-"After coming here, I found that I cannotπŸ˜’ start a mechanical engineering industry."

to be frank,personally i am feeling very let down by this sentence. because as a mechanical engineer i [am sure even other mechies] dream of building my/their own automotive/aerospace production company.but often than not we dont get to know the reality problems. only when we get into that situation some years from now , we get to know the real problems/impediments and eventually give up the dream.

so, i would like to ask biggie/xero to get the answer for this one question[atleast by mail PLEASE]. because he has gone through this particular problem and would definitely have some answer & suggestion to this question.

so,once again i ask biggie/xero to get the answer for this question,please!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    rosh009
    even i am late!πŸ˜” but still atleast from s out here i would like to know the answer for this sentence by yashwant kanetkar-"After coming here, I found that I cannotπŸ˜’ start a mechanical engineering industry."

to be frank,personally i am feeling very let down by this sentence. because as a mechanical engineer i [am sure even other mechies] dream of building my/their own automotive/aerospace production company.but often than not we dont get to know the reality problems. only when we get into that situation some years from now , we get to know the real problems/impediments and eventually give up the dream.

so, i would like to ask biggie/xero to get the answer for this one question[atleast by mail PLEASE]. because he has gone through this particular problem and would definitely have some answer & suggestion to this question.

so,once again i ask biggie/xero to get the answer for this question,please!!!
    Hi Rosh,

First of all, let me explain why Mr. Kanetkar said that he found out that he could not start a mechanical engineering industry. Mr. Kanetkar did not come from a business family & was an aspiring entrepreneur 15 years ago. He tried to get funding to start the industry but could not gather enough money. That's why he started a computer institute - KICIT.

Now there is a lesson that we all can learn from Mr. Kanetkar. He did not give up on his dream of becoming an entrepreneur. Rather, he fought back & excelled in what he could do. KICIT is a successful computer training institute & Let us C is read by almost all engineering students. Big achievement, right?

The journey of entrepreneurship is not for everyone. I'm not discouraging you, but simply putting the facts. For any entrepreneur, the path is full of uncertainty and he/she must be prepared to fight any situation. There is no money in the beginning, no salary, no security and you have to put in your 200% in everything you do. Its not easy to be an entrepreneur.

But look at the rewards! Freedom, money & ability to be your own boss. In the end, its you who decides how you want to live your life.

I hope I've answered your query to some extent.

-The Big K-
  • pvsdeepak
    pvsdeepak
    Hi All,

This is Deepak. I'm very glad to be in this community...
    Thx 4 everything...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good to have you on CE. Please post your detailed introduction in our Introductions section πŸ˜€

-The Big K-

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hii friends......... im shahul from trivandrum... im new to this community and im in need of ur help.. im studying final year b.tech automobile engg and im doin a hybrid...
It is surprising to see that we donot have any threads or queries realated to Fluid power engineering. Whereas the shift from elctromechanical to fluid systems is very evident. It...
Friends, I'm a Skype Fan ( πŸ˜› ) & love the voice quality. But since last 7-8 days, I've been facing a strange problem. - Skype doesn't connect in one...
😁 Q.1)A mixture is composed of 8 parts of whisky and 3 parts of water.After adding 28 liters of water,if the mixture contains whisky one half as much as water,then...
Wishing very happy birthday to CEan - Gaurav !😁😁 Gaurav is the second official member of CE Forums (Check https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/memberlist.php?&order=ASC&sort=joindate&pp=50). I remember I had worked on setting up CE Forums...