diplomacy or straight forwardness

There are many instances in life, where diplomacy comes handy.what are your thoughts on diplomatic approach?
Is it beneficial to approach someone straight stating what has gone wrong and what was expected? or you tend to deal with the situation diplomatically?
will dealing the situation diplomatically help build relation ship? As I believe no job is complete without a trust being built.
I am not asking how do you tackle a person, i am asking how do you tackle a difficult situation without knowing the nature of the opposite person.

EDIT: I ended up posting the thread in wrong section, please move to debate section

Replies

• Vega
    Vega
    My first hand opinion on this topic is that it depends on situation and party to which you are dealing with. Speaking straight to your customers can offend him so it's always adviced you use diplomacy with them. The same is applicable for bilateral relations between countries. On the other side if I have to talk to my friend, i won't mind talking straight and sharp.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Durga,
    IMO, as long as you are not negatively impacting anyone, it might make more sense to be diplomatic when the situation demands it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Always be diplomatic. Straightforwardness ain't so cool.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Vega, Kidakaka and Biggie.
    I agree.
    Personally, this is what happens, when I start sensing a diplomatic approach towards me, I defaultly categorize the person to be manipulative. This infact affects the whole point of getting into discussion as I tend to stop heeding to them.
  • gohm
    gohm
    In logic straight forward honest is the best, however people are far from logical and have emotions so in the "real world" diplomacy is usually the better sollution.
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    No don't agree with him because everything last with truth that always triumphs...straight forwardness is the best methodgy to tackle anyone...but needs courage and confidence in oneself's
  • rajivtiwari
    rajivtiwari
    I would rather be flexible than limit my approaches in some boundary by making always straight forward attitude
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    vibhor_one
    No don't agree with him because everything last with truth that always triumphs...straight forwardness is the best methodgy to tackle anyone...but needs courage and confidence in oneself's
    Assuming of course, what you say IS the real truth, rather what you think it is ๐Ÿ˜‰

Diplomacy does help with perspectives. Understanding how the other person thinks and why would help diffuse/fix the situation. One's assumptions can change, given more information.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Guys,
    If you want to see how diplomacy and straightforwardness are in real life, do read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. The story is about a very straight forward architect called Roark, and a manipulative diplomat by the name of Toohey.

It takes guts and a sense of foolhardiness to be that straight forward.
  • madugula
    madugula
    hi friends.. to be diplomatic or to be straight forward in nature depends on the situation and persons we are dealing with. i think if the situation is sensitive, we need to opt for diplomacy only. people think more emotionally rather than logically. i am not gonna blame it. but i think its general human psychology. so in such a situation, being straight forward may hurt their feelings..
    so, in my opinion both are necessary to maintain good relations with anyone, provided that you know when and where to use them.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I know a couple of guys who think they are straight forward and blunt, but in actual fact, they just talk before they think. Its easier that way, I suppose? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Sandrat
    Sandrat
    ash
    I know a couple of guys who think they are straight forward and blunt, but in actual fact, they just talk before they think. Its easier that way, I suppose? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Ah, yes. I also know people who think they are straight forward and blunt because they consciously don't consider the other party's view or position. As if insisting you are right and the other person is wrong solves everything.๐Ÿ˜’

But I think a combination of both straight-forwardness and diplomacy is the best if you are unsure about the situation. As many people said, it all depends on the situation, but being too diplomatic or too straight-forward could be rude, or misunderstood. I personally am usually very diplomatic, which is troublesome if I'm debating with very straight forward and undiplomatic people.

And thanks for the book recommendatin Kidakaka. I might look into it this summer:smile:
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    that is actually correct, rudeness and straightforwardness have thin line of difference.
    But again, its agin how the opposite party sees it as!
  • csiscool
    csiscool
    strait forwardness is best...
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    being an honest diplomat is difficult but the best way to proceed in life. Straight forwardness as in being blunt , as many people have said is not so good. there's always a way to react to things. Thus diplomatic is the key but without any kind of corruption(u may call that wrongful manipulation)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mumbai won Ranaji Trophy 2010 by defeating Karnataka in what can be called as a thrilling final contest on Gangotri Glades Stadium in Bengalore. They won just by 6 wickets....
I am an Electronic Engineering, working on my FYP; using a TFT display 320x240 in pixels, and RGB format of 666. it is using the SSD1963 controller for graphics and...
Hi ! I'm doing my 1st year electronics and instumentation. I'm interested in submitting a project. so, can any one suggest me a project ? simple for a first year.
we want an machine which dissovle one inch of crystal in one liter in lase than 5 min, we have 12 volt of supply and only electrical applications are use...
I am trying Programs related to Socket Programming... whenever i tries to make client and server as my own PC..it refuses connection...I think it is because of fire wall....can anyone...