DIP : How To Calculate Megapixel Of The Camera From Its Captured Image File ?

So, let's say i have a file of 14.5 MB & resolution of 4243 x 2828. I don't know the model number of the camera being used. And I want to find the MegaPixel of the camera with mathematical calculation. How that can be done ?

I know it is possible to calculate Megapixel by knowing two parameters i.e total image size & resolution, but how ?
Anyone ?
(Or is it possible to know megapixel of camera by mere one parameter, resolution ? )

Replies

• Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Abhishek Rawal
    So, let's say i have a file of 14.5 MB & resolution of 4243 x 2828. I don't know the model number of the camera being used. And I want to find the MegaPixel of the camera with mathematical calculation. How that can be done ?

I know it is possible to calculate Megapixel by knowing two parameters i.e total image size & resolution, but how ?
    Anyone ?
    (Or is it possible to know megapixel of camera by mere one parameter, resolution ? )
    hello,
    A megapixel is a rounded number found by multiplying the total number of horizontal pixels by the total number of vertical pixels.
    4243 x 2828=11999204
    1 megapixel =1,000,000
    Now might this camera is of 11 megapixel .m nt sre. I am not sure (Edited)
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Apurwa.Thakur
    hello,
    A megapixel is a rounded number found by multiplying the total number of horizontal pixels by the total number of vertical pixels.
    4243 x 2828=11999204
    1 megapixel =1,000,000
    Now might this camera is of 11 megapixel .m nt sre. I am not sure (Edited)
    Thanks Apurwa.
    I just googled & found 1 MP = 10^6 pixels.You're right.

So one more question,
    From only one parameter i.e Total number of pixels, Can we calculate memory of the picture ?
    If yes,then how ?

Every pixel contain specific amount of memory ? How much ?
  • lal
    lal
    It isn't just the resolution that defines the space occupied by a picture. It depends on the detail each pixel contains too. Now, detail is dependent on the light, say brightness.

For instance a very dark image uses less memory when compared to a picture at right exposure though both are shot with the same camera at exactly same resolution.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    lal
    It isn't just the resolution that defines the space occupied by a picture. It depends on the detail each pixel contains too. Now, detail is dependent on the light, say brightness.

For instance a very dark image uses less memory when compared to a picture at right exposure though both are shot with the same camera at exactly same resolution.
    Yes, the colour depth. Just to add regarding file size, you also need to consider image compression techniques used (lossless vs lossy).

Disregarding compression techniques (we'll pick BMP format), you can estimate the file size from the color depth profile as well.

Say, monochrome photos are represented by 1 bit per pixel x width x height. Divide by 8 to get bytes.

So for 24 bits per pixel (2 power of 24 = 16777216 possible colours), you multiply accordingly.
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    Abhishek Rawal
    Thanks Apurwa.
    I just googled & found 1 MP = 10^6 pixels.You're right.

So one more question,
    From only one parameter i.e Total number of pixels, Can we calculate memory of the picture ?
    If yes,then how ?

Every pixel contain specific amount of memory ? How much ?
    Here is explanation,check whether this is useful or not? 😕

let scan resolution is 75 dpi(dot per inch)
    and image size is 6*4 inch
    then you can calculate pixel which is 450*300
    n pixel count is 135000

now to calculate memory i think you should know type of

image(RGB COLOR IMAGE,GRAY SCALE,LINE ART)

1.for 24 bit rgb color
    memory size in byte is
    135000*3=405000 (24 bit=3 byte per pixel)

2.for 8 bit gray scale
    memory size is 135000*1=135000(8 bit=1 byte)

3.for line art
    mmory size is 135000/8=16,875( (contain 1/8 bit per pixel)
  • lal
    lal
    By the way, you can always check the exif details of the picture to get the information about camera used and the method used for shooting. Provided the exif details weren't removed by any external software.

By default all digital cameras write exif details to the pictures taken with them which include camera make and model, resolution, date, time, flash status, ISO, even focal length and more.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar

4243 x 2828=11999204
    1 megapixel =1,000,000

Now might this camera is of 11 megapixel
    +1, simplest way to find camera megapixel.
    Picture of 4000*3000 resolution = 12MP (12,000,000).

File size depends on DPI (Dots per inch) , color depth and compression mechanism.
    As you know RAW files always take lots of space, A 12MP camera generally takes 18mb RAW file which DPI(similar to jpg) and color depth (generally 8 bit or 16bit), here compression mechanism comes into picture as RAW files are uncompressed.

But more DPI and Color depth means bigger file size.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

LG has unveiled world's thinnest full HD 1080p display - ideal for the next generation of even thinner smartphones and tablets. The company showed off a 5.2" panel that is...
An audio engineer from Glasgow UK has come up with a new pair of solar headphones that make sure the battery life of your phones and tablets does not falter....
After the launch of the really successful Discover 100T and the sporty Discover 125ST, Bajaj Auto adds to its portfolio the all new Discover 125 T. Launched in India on...
more information in following site https://www.decodedscience.com/nanotechnology-breakthrough-single-atom-transistor-created/11011
IDK whether this is technical discussion or not, SO I am posting in Chit-Chat discussion : I have PC with loads of wires coming out of cabinet : ethernet cable,...