Different between Black Hat and White Hat SEO techniques

I was reading about SEO and came across two terms : Black Hat SEO and White Hat SEO.

Could someone explain what exactly is the difference between the two? Does black symbolize something unethical?

How can SEO be unethical?

Replies

• Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    AbraKaDabra
    I was reading about SEO and came across two terms : Black Hat SEO and White Hat SEO.

Could someone explain what exactly is the difference between the two? Does black symbolize something unethical?

How can SEO be unethical?
    Balck Hat Refers to as the Term which says "something which is against search engine policies"

example

1) Creating texts with the same color as backcolor for keyword stuffing
    2) Showing separate pages to search engines and separate pages to visitors
    3) Link purchase

etc,

white Hat simply are the allowable techniques:

adding meta and description to the pages
    using proper 301 redirections
    using links from authority sites. etc
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    For a layman like me, It seems like I am not getting a thing.
    Tell us do we unknowingly use this Black Hat SEO?

P.S: While publishing blog, I fill SEO titles.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Publishing articles with a SEO title isn't a 'black hat' technique. However, it could be seen as a black hat technique because you show one title to visitors and other to the search engines. Sometimes, you might want to write a magnetic headline that attracts visitors but does not make a good headline for the search engines. One of the most common black hat SEO technique is purchasing links on higher ranked blogs.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Thanks Biggie. I think I am getting the feel of things. Between, what do you mean by "purchasing links on higher ranked blogs?" 😀
    Is it similar to spamming?
    For example, if someone spamming a higher ranked website with the links of his/her lower rank website?
  • SKsinha
    SKsinha
    My opinion - very personal opinion, may be - The world fights for Black or White issues but same time "Gray" has made his place in group of white.. Black Hat techniques are tactics to cheat search engines and white hat techniques are going normal as per search engines theories. When we say white hat, I feel that actually we are using gray as we first understand how search engines reacts and then we start acting like that only. After all human rules computers ....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

- The magnetic poles will turn (north becomes south and vise versa). During this event the earth won't turn and the magnetic field will disappear (or: it's a few days...
Suggest some new and innovative gift ideas for Diwali 2011. If anyone is celebrating Diwali in some awesome new way, please share with us, so that we can use some...
I saw some websites that offer increasing facebook 'likes' and followers overnight for cheap. 😲 Do you think it is good to use such fake 'like' increasers? It is a...
Who visited my profile on Facebook? are fake apps on Facebook. Plus, I don't know why people are so bothered if they have agreed to put their personal data on...
The Google Toolbar's PageRank is updated infrequently, so it often shows out of date values. The last confirmed update was 27 June 2011 however, there was previously no confirmed update...