From the Archives
Archived discussions on CrazyEngineers

@Vila • 24 Oct, 2009
Hi everybody,

What is the difference between Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) ? When does a company/organization uses VPN and when it uses VLAN? And how to set up a VPN and VLAN ?

Thank you.
@durga ch • 26 Oct, 2009 Hi

VPN
more of you trying to access a different LAN(say LAN1) through a different Network ( LAN2)all together. You would be needing VPN access softwares (infact client and authentication) is needed for you to 'remotely' access the computers on the other networks.

where as in a VLAN, you pick few computers and create something called as a virtual LAN covering them . They need not be belonging to same LAN.The systems can be grouped on any of the layers. ie MAC layer/Network Layer/IP layer. This technology ( as far as I know) is put into telco companies replacing the normal ATM switches. Thus in telco sense, instead of VCI/VPI values, you would rather be talking about VLAN IDs.
@Rahul Jamgade • 15 Dec, 2009 Hi ,

Here are the details,

VLAN: It is group of computers that can have same broadcast domain. So the group of computers in that particular VLAN can directly talk to each other . It is generally used when you need to have separae set of computers to whom you can't directly talk from outside the VLAN and need special permission to get access to the resources in the VLAN generally via ACL (access control list).

VPN: It is used to communicate is a secure way in a non-secure environment. If you want your computer in one network to communicate to another computer in some snother network than they teh communicate has to happen over internet which is insecure medium. And hence teh packets are are transeferd over a encrypted channel (tunnel) between teh two computers so that person sitting on internet cannot sniff/decode the packet.

Related Posts

Archives

@Jason Estibeiro · Jan 16, 2016

After launching the Coolpad Note 3 back in October 2015, the company has now come out with Coolpad Note 3 Lite for its Indian audience. And just like the Note...
Archives

@marikit · Nov 30, 2012

Sirs and madams, i'm an engineering student from the philippines and i'm a bit confused on what would be the perfect topic/prototype/project/thesis for my final year. Can anyone help me?...
Archives

@Ankita Katdare · May 8, 2014

Samsung India has launched their much-talked-about Curved and Flat Screened 4K resolution televisions in India today. The Samsung Curved TV range includes - 105-inch Curved UHD TV, Samsung UHD HU9000...
Archives

@Satya Swaroop Dash · Jan 25, 2015

When you travel abroad the biggest worry that bogs you down is internet connectivity. Sure, your mobile operator has partners around the world to keep your data connection alive but...
Archives

@Ankita Katdare · May 12, 2014

Lava Mobiles has started showing teasers of its upcoming smartphone - Lava Iris X1 and the excitement about the new Android phone is starting to build up. Expected to go...