Difference between various types of Disk Partitions?

can CE'ns tell me the difference between the fat, fat 32 and ntfs type of disk partitions?? i have no idea about them..

Replies

• LORD_EC
    LORD_EC

Following are Microsoft's Windows Glossary definitions for each of the 3 file systems:
    File Allocation Table (FAT): A file system used by MS-DOS and other Windows-based operating systems to organize and manage files. The file allocation table (FAT) is a data structure that Windows creates when you format a volume by using the FAT or FAT32 file systems. Windows stores information about each file in the FAT so that it can retrieve the file later.
    FAT32: A derivative of the File Allocation Table (FAT) file system. FAT32 supports smaller cluster sizes and larger volumes than FAT, which results in more efficient space allocation on FAT32 volumes.
    NTFS: An advanced file system that provides performance, security, reliability, and advanced features that are not found in any version of FAT. For example, NTFS guarantees volume consistency by using standard transaction logging and recovery techniques. If a system fails, NTFS uses its log file and checkpoint information to restore the consistency of the file system. In Windows 2000 and Windows XP, NTFS also provides advanced features such as file and folder permissions, encryption, disk quotas, and compression.
  • vikki2point9
    vikki2point9
    thanks LORD..EC...
  • mahul
    mahul
    yeah...lord_ec is correct...as far as my knowledge goes the fat and fat32 differ with the size of the hard disk it can address i.e with fat16 u will have 16 bits 4 the block address i.e. u can address max of 2^16*block size(usually 512bytes) which comes out pretty less...thus we started using fat32 where this field became 32 bits in size

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i hav xp sp2 operating system installed on my PC.. i installed IE7 yesterday.. after installatrion i gave command for restart.. windows booted nicely but give an error message.. desktop...
Hi everyone, I was searching through the web for information on joining/ sealing underground precast units and this site came up in one response. How could anyone not join? What...
Hi friends.... I thot of preparing for GRE... I want to kno abt the new GRE pattern.... pls help me...
plz..... let me know about computer science engg seminar topics for final year students. plzzzzzzz................ suggest some good topics
Hii for all Crazy Engineers here i'm builing a CNC Software using Parallel Port to Interface steppers... how can i make a fast switching - 3 MHZ for example-on the...