Difference between dual core and core 2 duo processors

hi,
what is the difference between dual core and core 2 duo processors, plz explain with reference to performance

Replies

• sushant005
    sushant005
    Well i think, both are of embedded with two processors but the difference is that in case of Dual core two processors are separate and have different cache memory but in case of core 2 duo the two processors are embedded in a single chip and have same cache memory.
    So i think core 2 duo is better then the dual core but if we considered dual core motherboard and core 2 duo , in case of dual core its as fan rotating in both the direction clockwise and anticlockwise so there is less chances of dusting and system hang rarely as compared to core 2 duo.
    With reference to performance core 2 duo is better.

Do me correct if i m wrong!
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    @sushant as we know fan rotating in both direction is better for any processor.Can you tell me why in duel core fan is rotating in both direction why not in the case of core 2 duo ?
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    yup..................... heard such thing 4 d first tym.............................. when d fan will b rotating d other direction, even the flow of air would also b changed....................... isn't it............................ please put some more light on d topic.....
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    mohit007kumar00
    @sushant as we know fan rotating in both direction is better for any processor.Can you tell me why in duel core fan is rotating in both direction why not in the case of core 2 duo ?
    Got the same question! Rotation of Fan depends on?
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    @saithi Actually there is two way to embed multiprocessor in our system.One is to do multiple processors on separate chips and the other way is to multiple processors on a single chip.As we know on single chip communication is faster than multiple chips.

I don't know actually on what the rotation of fan depends on but i think if you have one chip(in case of duel core) rotate your fan in one direction than in multiple chips(in case of core 2 duo) one may rotate apposite to the first one.

Actually i don't know the reason i just guess that this may be the reason behind it.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Do you mean dual core processors have 2 cores in two separate chips with separate cache memories and core 2 duo processors have 2 cores in a single chip with single cache memory?

And really the fan of core 2 duo processors rotates in both the directions?

Sorry if ask anything wrong, I am very confused about this!
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    sahithi pallavi
    Do you mean dual core processors have 2 cores in two separate chips with separate cache memories and core 2 duo processors have 2 cores in a single chip with single cache memory?
    Oh shit !!
    I edited my post !!
    Actually the duel core processors have 2 cores in single chip and core 2 duo have a separate chips for 2 processors.
    sahithi pallavi
    And really the fan of core 2 duo processors rotates in both the directions?
    I don't have any idea about the fans.I came to know after reading the post by sushant !!
    sahithi pallavi
    Sorry if ask anything wrong, I am very confused about this!
    hehe
    Engineers always have doubt's.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Does this means that the 2 processors of dual core have a separate fan each, which rotates in opposite directions and the single chip of core 2 duo processor has just one fan to rotate in one direction.?
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    The_Small_k
    Oh shit !!
    I edited my post !!
    Actually the duel core processors have 2 cores in single chip and core 2 duo have a separate chips for 2 processors.
    I never heard of having separate chips for processors; Are you sure about your point?

I googled a lot about this and noted some points...

1) Dual core processors are the processors having 2 cores embedded in a single chip(used for multitasking), Similarly Single core processors are the processors having 1 core.
    2) Core 2 duo processors are the dual core processors, yes, it means they have 2 cores embedded in a single silicon chip. Core 2 duo is just the name given by Intel for their second line dual core processors. Other dual core processors aside from Core 2 Duo are the Core Duo from Intel and the X2 series from AMD
    3) So, Both Dual Core and Core 2 Duo has only one physical "technically" processor, but virtually both of them has 2 cores meaning 2 processors virtually.
    4) Core2Duo is much better than Dual Core because of "Cache" and with that Core2Duo has much throughput than Dual Core. ---didn't get much information about how the cache memory works! But I guess, yes, Since Core 2 Duo is the recent version, definitely it will be better. If you know tell me how the cache works here.

And didn't find anything about fans! Sushant raised this point, May be he has to answer!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Many people watch DVDs on their computers. Often a person would like to sit back and relax while watching a DVD instead of sitting in a posture to use a...
Hi All Back again, please give your valuable comments on the course, reputation of institute, placements, and will you prefer to join? Regards Vibhor Mittal Allahabad
Official Website: Aayam '10 This November, get set for a spine-tingling ride of NITA's very own technical fiesta “AAYAM” featuring exciting competitions, high-on-charge events and inspiring people. Aayam is meant...
The NOIDA based Lava mobile is heavily advertising the A9 Model on Indian Television. Let's take a look at this phone an find out whether the phone is worth the...
Dear friends! I was out of the reach of internet for two days. Kindly forgive me because I couldn't give you the good news. I bought a phone at last!...