Difference between Domain & Workgroup

What is DOMAIN ?
What is the difference between Domain and a workgroup ?
How to join a system to the Domain ?

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Domain is basically related to configuration of server and managing of user accounts (insertion,deletion)

workgroup is just a logical connection of 5 to 10 computers ,any one can access network resources without any user name ,password.

Domain can conists of more than 100 computer where as work group can consists of not more than 20 computers

For joining a system to domain ,you have to create a user account on server computer.

There are some steps for a whole procedure ,you can search those for window NT server in google
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Good to know about workgroup. Anybody have idea about that how to create my own workgroup.
  • Zaraphrax
    Zaraphrax
    mohit007kumar00
    Good to know about workgroup. Anybody have idea about that how to create my own workgroup.
    Workgroups are easy, you don't require anything like a Domain Controller running on a box on the network. By default, when you install Windows, you're automatically in a workgroup. If you want to change the name of this workgroup (I think by default it's called "WORKGROUP"), you go Control Panel>System>Computer Name and look for a button titled "Change".

I think Windows 7 has this new thing called a 'Homegroup', which adds some extension to the workgroup paradigm like easier file and media sharing and a few other things (totally unnecessary in my opinion since Windows already makes that blisteringly easy). But I've not used it since all of the Windows machines on my home network are joined to my domain (I like being a masochist 😀).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1. You cannot touch all your top teeth with your tongue . 2. All idiots, after reading this first truth will try ii. 3. And discover that the first truth...
Hiiiiiiiiiiii guys, I thing everyone here know about Thathagat Tulsi who born in Bihar and presently he is the youngest professor ever in IIT Mumbai, he is doing research on...
hi.....i m a final year EEE student frm Vel tech, chennai.....i m interested in measurements nd instrumentation stream.....cud anyone guide me 2 chose a project......thk u....
Google Chrome has a very good advantage. There is a incognito mode for surfing in chrome . Incognito Mode : Web pages that you open and files downloaded while you...
A professional college has a strange principal. On the first day, he & his students perform an odd opening day ceremony: There are one thousand lockers and one thousand students...