Difference between ball and roller?

What exactly is the difference between ball and roller? I've been studying this topic in my mechanical engineering textbook. Would appreciate your responses.

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    Is it about bearings?
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    this is quite simple a ball is a sphere while a roller is a cylinder. both can roll: a ball makes point contact while a roller maks line contact ideally. Speaking of bearings, you can easily visualize and differentiate a ball bearing with a roller bearing by seeing the rolling object in it. generally roller bearings are used in heavy loading conditions to reduce the stresses developed in the bearing.
  • The myth buster
    The myth buster
    type of contact explains the difference..ball has a point contact whereas roller has a line contact..A ball is a sphere whereas a roller is usually a cylinder or a frustum(a tapered roller)..!!
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    maybe this question is about the types of bearings.

it has already been discussed about the type of contacts, balls and rollers , make with flat surfaces.

another point is that balls can easily change their direction of rolling. but a roller on the other hand which is cylindrical (and makes line contact) cannot do so that easily.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's my talk from the TEDx Event conducted at Sona College, Salem. I talked about how I transformed from being into a state of perpetual confusion to someone who's discovered...
hi.. i am also a newbie here. and i currently need some helpful information or tips about reinforced concrete design.. is there any idea as to where i can find...
Fellow CEans, attached are the precis of two ready to go innovations developed by me,offered for taking up for societal benefit free.One is a LPG saving device.The other saves street...
Any books suggestion and ebook recommendations about REINFORCED CONCRETE DESIGN???
Facebook operates and maintains petabytes of data on their servers and powers the website through PHP. Facebook's engineers have figured out a way to turn PHP code into highly optimized...