Diaphragm action in building

What is difference between rigid and semirigid diaphragm in Etabs.And how it takes place in load bearing structure

Replies

• rekcah
    rekcah
    in staad rigid here are some explaination regarding your query:

1. Rigid Floor Diaphragm which assumes that the floor is very rigid to experience
    any in-plane and out-of-plane deformation. The rigid diaphragm action of floors
    assumes that the floor is stiff enough to undergo rigid body movement.
    2. Semi Rigid diaphragm which assumes that the floor is very rigid to experience
    any in-plane deformation but no out-of-plane deformation.
    3. Flexible diaphragms which assumes that the floor has no rigidity to resist lateral
    loads.
    The rigid floor diaphragm assumption may not be appropriate if a relatively narrow
    building has closely spaced shear walls (i.e. the shear walls are stiffer than the floor
    diaphragm). In the case of a low rise building, the floor diaphragms may be flexible
    compared to the shear walls as in light wood framed construction. For long narrow
    buildings with deep beams the rigid floor diaphragm assumption has to be evaluated
    carefully. The presence of a slab opening for elevators or stairs can weaken the floor
    diaphragm action. Wood and metal decks without concrete fills may not be modeled as
    rigid diaphragms unless the floor system is braced properly. Hence, the use of these
    options in STAAD.pro requires good engineering decision making based upon the actual
    site conditions.
  • rekcah
    rekcah
    i just read this one in csi knowledge:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Rigid diaphragms have infinite in-plane stiffness properties, and therefore they neither exhibit membrane deformation nor report the associated forces, whereas semi-rigid diaphragms simulate actual in-plane stiffness properties and behavior. For most reinforced-concrete slab systems, where the slab is sufficiently thick and membrane deformation due to lateral loading is negligible, rigid diaphragms produce results nearly identical to those of semi-rigid diaphragms, while taking advantage of faster computation. Semi-rigid diaphragms should be modeled when significant in-plane deformation does occur, or when required by code.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I wish to know what is active low and active high in electronics?
Which is better and why ? Just going to be using it for normal purposes and no complex tasks are going to be performed But I want some advice in...
i don't understand how a capacitor(however small its value might be) can hold the peak value of voltage supplied to it
I was thinking of trying out Windows and decided to download a copy on my Mac. Now, as soon as I head over to Microsoft India website and click on...
Hello everybody! It's so nice to see e books if they are new.