Designing an Electric Bike

I was repairing my bike! I tried to connect motor to the back tyre and see how it is rotating!
With a proper shaft I am sure it runs well. But today I failed to connect it properly.

So here I have an idea to develop a Electric Bike Altogether!
I guess there are Electric Bikes already still I want to give it a try!

Now ,I am just thinking of the necessary components for that!

I actually want to design something small , I mean of smaller size as a prototype!

So here goes my list of necessary items,

1. Starting Circuit.
2. Stopping Circuit.
3. Speed Control.
4. Sudden Brake. (Disk Brake ๐Ÿ˜)
5. Acceleration.
6. Battery and power saving.

So tell me your ideas on this!!

Replies

• thisisananth
    thisisananth
    Interesting idea ES.

My suggestion would be pick one of those and start working. As electrical engineers, it would be easy to design the start and stop circuits but for that we need to know how much power is required for starting and stopping to provide it. All these factors can be simulated so, it would be easiest start point.

Then probably you can tackle the mechanical motion part. I don't have a great idea but may be you can get some idea on all the types of motors available and decide. Ofcourse, fellow CEans would contribute to the discussion too.

Next comes the fuel part and if the mechanical motion part is done, then this should be comparitively easier to acheive..

all in all... not a new idea..but a great idea and has a lot of potential if executed well..

So all the best..
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I fore see the disadvantages like , braking may reduce the efficiency of the motor.
    But my idea is like this , I have 2 batteries one which will power the motor and the other donot power anything mostly it is the uncharged battery or a battery half charged back up!! (software language) ๐Ÿ˜
    Then when ever I brake the circuit the connection between the electric motor and battery goes off and connection between battery 1 and battery 2 will be established and I use mechanical braking which can stop the wheel. Meanwhile the battery 2 will be charged! I mean we donot lose the power!
    For this I am thinking of using DC - Induction Motor (since series is high speed and shunt is constant speed) in induction motors we can attain different speeds!
    I mean the gear shift pattern , that is 20KMPH to 60 KMPH the curcuit will operate same as the braking circuit!

Now post your suggestions /Advantages/Disadvantages etc!!

The follow up idea would be powering the Motor with Solar energy.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Keep solar energy lowest in the list right now. Lets first run that thing.
    I had toyed with the idea of making one bike, did a bit of research, but didn't have enough money!
    You have to first look at the advantages of using bike powered by an electric motor.
    *You don't need idling(instant start and stop of motor). That means, no power consumption in a stationary vehicle, Higher fuel efficiency.
    *The accelerator would be nothing but variable resistance...so simple...
    *The transmission system would be the most interesting part. While stationary, you don't need to hold the clutch(so no pain in the hand)
    *The motor can work as a brake by itself, and its braking action can be used to charge your batteries.
    *No smoke, no pain.
    *Silent operation(Surprise your friends)
    Now, lets get to business. The brush-less DC motor is the most efficient motor you can use here. It has an impressive performance characteristics, and greater efficiency(ah hem.. its brush-less!)
    Let me tell about my idea. I wanted to make a bike equivalent to a 150cc bike, that means 13bhp motor powered thing. Sounds crazy! But this, I tried to make! ๐Ÿ˜
    My design looked like a conventional, freaky, crazy and stylish sports bike!
    Any questions, please ask! I will be happy to answer!!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Great!

I want to simulate first, then try with a small HP! I mean for a toy or something!
    Then go for the big one!

Thanks for the inputs!
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Nice move ES. Can you tell me in which software are you going to simulate it?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    After trying out with just mathematical calculations , nothing practical the max speed is just 30KMPH!
    My friends said that , the idea is already implemented by others so why not trying a new one?

But , what I said was I am designing this for myself , IF it goes well we can increase the speed as well.

Speed is not , but the main concern is the power , since the battery drains away easily! *Thinking of another reliable power source*
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I faced the same problem, The battery draining is the problem haunting people who venture into this area. If you can supply all the required batteries, the problem comes in storage. Its due to the same question that I started thinking about ultracapacitors. They have some high density storage. But all I could find about them is what you normally get when you Google for it. But I also found that I won't be able to afford it. So, I dropped my project then and I am now gathering every penny towards it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Did you calculate the power budget of the bike? Won't a pack of LiPo batteries do for the initial trial run if the current discharge isn't that high?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    I did not aim to just move the vehicle. That I found so real old and 'uncool'
    I aimed at showing a 13.5bhp output at the crankshaft. And even ride it to a small distance. If I used any other battery, I couldn't achieve these aims. So, just after hearing the per unit cost of this thing., I quit out of it temporarily!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Sorry, my post was initially aimed at ES ๐Ÿ˜› Forgot to quote!
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear ash,
    I think I must take a break. I am not looking before I am posting, The business strategies thread is an example. I posted something without thinking. I should really take a break!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Yes, I want to design a television in this way. I have a screen a big screen in fact in a single hall. The Television should have the capability of...
OHMpad is a Ohm's Law calculator that uses segmented controls, keypad style entry, and is SI unit aware. It has became my favorite for the ipad so far -< no...
when I inserted ubuntu cd into dell inspiron 1456 I got the linux command line instead of installation window with GUI format .First time I came across this situation.I have...
Can anyone tell me the difference between Broadband and dial-up connection.....?
When you are angry or deeply hurt, you may blow small problems out of proportion. Just as love sometimes clouds our objectivity, hurt and anger have a similar effect too....