Designing a green house using PVC tubes

Hi,
I am a second year mechanical engineering student currently working on a project which involves designing a green house with PVC tubes. The green house will be tunnel shaped comprising of arches formed by attaching multiple PVC tubes together(say 1 meter tubes).
I needed some help from structural and civil engineers. It would really help me if you answer following questions
1. Is there any method by which I can find the force required to bend a straight PVC tube mathematically if I know the diameter?
2. Should I do the analysis of bending stress induced using the formulas applicable for bending of straight beams or curved beams?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not a civil engineer, but I really like what you're thinking! Keep it up 😀
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    TheDarkKnight
    arches formed by attaching multiple PVC tubes together
    PVC has poor thermal characteristics. It can lose significant mechanical strength even at the high ambient temperatures in Summer.
    Why was PVC chosen as the material?
    PVC can be easily shaped by heating it to about 80C.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Xiaomi brand has become immensely popular for introducing gadgets that offer pathbreaking specifications for incredibly low prices, making them a must-have for the masses. Be it in the smartphone...
i need a seminar topic
Hello EveryOne, My age is 33.I did my MCA in 2011 from IGNOU.My session was 2006- 2007(2 yrs)before that I did my BCA session 2003-2005. Because of some personal problems...
The Mobile World Congress (MWC 2015) event is going on in full swing and some of the biggest tech giants are making some of the biggest announcements of the year...
The mobile manufacturing company from Finland, Jolla Ltd. is an independent designer, developer and vendor of Jolla smartphones and Jolla tablets. It is also credited with developing an open source...