Design Phone For Blind People: What features do you suggest?

We've earlier talked about an alarm clock for deaf people: #-Link-Snipped-#

Thinking on the similar lines, what features would you suggest for a phone especially made for the blind people?

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    the keypad should be designed in alphabetical pattern
    so they can type them easily and number system should be in the way of easy understanding
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...that means you're suggesting non-QWERTY keypad? Just wondering how'd that make it easier for them?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    ...that means you're suggesting non-QWERTY keypad? Just wondering how'd that make it easier for them?
    ya i mean that
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    :-|, key pad wont be the only issue.
    There are other issues as well, for example; how will they 'scroll' the phone book for caller names? or 'read' the messages?
    i feel a voice oriented mobile phone would help us. Like the person scrolls the phone book and the phone reads out the names for him/her to dail. or may be the person can just say a name and phone automatically calls, like person saya " call xyz", and the call is connected. more of voice recognition sort.

as far as keypad goes, it would be a lrger one. It should be able to accommodate braille
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    For reading incoming messages we need to use text-to-speech software!
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    as durga said voice based phones will be more helpfull to blind people.And blackberry uses a software for voice recognition and it works pretty well for me while driving
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    A touch screen where they can feel the characters over there, may be some thing like carved characters.. 😒

PS: will come up with more thoughts very soon. (To be continued... 😉)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There are going to be more issues in design - especially with the software. For example, how'd the phone's software be designed to help find a specific entry from the contact list?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think we have to install some software that records the voice and store the contacts and auto search when it lisens to the same name again
    and all the operations should be done by voices
    i hope you all understand my idea
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    narayana murthy
    i think we have to install some software that records the voice and store the contacts and auto search when it lisens to the same name again
    and all the operations should be done by voices
    i hope you all understand my idea
    Way back in the early 70s AT&T introduced a land line phone with memory for 64 numbers to which a voice tag could be attached. Not only that but it could compensate for different accents (Spanish, American Indian and various local state accents) as well. A person could lift the receiver and say call 'mom' and the call would be put through.
    With all embedded systems and software now available this should be no problem The only issue is that the numbers may not justify the development effort/cost.
    Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Fanatic about cars? It’s time you get hands on how it is styled and conceptualized, from the senior consultants at designskillset.com and visiting Senior designer from Maruti suzuki india ltd...
CEans, It always helps to have the 'basic concepts' in your engineering discipline 'clear' in your mind. Why not pick up topics from your text books and start new discussion...
Taiwan based cell phone manufacturing company HTC has launched their new touch-screen Smart phone called Thunderbolt. HTC makes it to be the first to launch a cell phone that has...
i am a second year ece student. Our college allows for summer training of about 4 to 6 weeks . So, please tell me which topic will be good for...
Micromax's x560 features full 3.2" touchscreen and 3D cube interface and motion sensor. Following are specifications - Form Factor: Bar Style Band: GSM/EGPRS/ 900/1800/1900 Weight : 102gms Display : 8.1cms...