Design of belt drives

From my design course, i learnt how to design a belt drive connecting only two pulleys. (a driver with a driven).

now i want to know the procedure, for designing a flat belt connecting more than 2 pulleys. (a driver pulley with 2 or more driven pulleys).

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Input speed/Output speed = (Db/Da)*(Dd/Dc)*(Df/De)......etc.

where D = diameter of the pulleys
    the terms in the brackets are just a ratio of the driven pulley diameter to the driver pulley diameter
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Unless there is a substantial angle of contact between the pulley and the belt power transmitted will be reduced.The total power of the drive pulley has to be the sum of power drawn by all the pulleys in the circuit plus a little more to take care of inertia of the connected loads.

Each driven pulley will run at a speed = RPM(Drive Pulley) x (dia.D.P/dia (driven pulley)).
    If you are cascading pairs of pulleys, what CE Dsigner has posted above applies.
    We were not sure about your exact application.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    In my case i have to couple a motor to a couple of alternators using belt and pulley.

I have not decided the pulley diameters yet.

all three machines in this case are going to be fixed rigidly to a support, and the centre distances between the shafts will be constant(which even i don't know yet).

Now what i want to know is that provided the given data:

maximum power, torque and speed of motor.

speed of rotation of each driven machine shaft, and the torque to be provided to it.

the centre distances between the machine shafts.

Now how do i determine this:

the length of the belt connecting all these machines

the number of plies of the belt. (the pulley diameters can always be varied as per requirement).
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Well pulley sizes are dictated by the the final speed you require and the speed the speed of the motor. Your space limitations of the setup will dictate the center distances of the pulleys.
    Once you have both pulley sizes and center distances you can find your belt. Belts are standard. You can refer to a supplier or to a data sheet.
    Use this #-Link-Snipped-# to help.
    There are also different types of belts to consider for special applications. You have flat belts, v-belts, cogged v-belts, timing belts etc.
    Depending on the operating characteristics such as speed and torque transfer you need to select the ideal type of belt.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    For further help you should post a schematic drawing of your setup.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks a lot dude.

I will post the schematic diagram soon. As of now i am interested only in flat belts.

the calculator link which you have provided is usefull, but then is there anyway by which i can calculate for a system consisting of more than two pulleys.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    What exactly do you want to calculate, power and torque for a system of pulleys?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well i want to more about this device, which does not seem to be used anymore nowadays. from all that i know, they were used to power a small headlamp...
hey, I was hoping to know which colleges are best to pursue mba, and how can i find out their actual rankings? I would also like to know bout the...
latest information about marin in Bangladesh. Have any more effective information?
HI Guys I am new to this forum. Can Anyone help me with information on how to design a Rechargeable LED Lantern.
What better way to let off steam than in Classic Malkauns?