Design of a five speed gearbox

The best example for such a gear box is the gear box used in all modern cars.

now as far as automobile gearboxes are concerned,

1) does the reverse gear actually count as a speed ? due to which while designing a gearbox for 5 forward speeds and one reverse speed, the gearbox can then be designed as a six-speed gear box ?

2) now leaving aside the reverse gear, and considering the 5 forward speeds alone, what would be the steps of speeds and the number of shafts required ?

for a four speed gearbox, steps of speeds would be 1x2x2 and hence the number of shafts are three.

but then what would it be for a 5 speed GB ?steps of speeds would be 1x5 by which number of shafts again turns out to be just 2

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    come on guys .no takes on this ?

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    A 5 speed gearbox refers to five forward speeds.In all gearboxes there are only two shafts, a lay shaft and a main shaft.And what do you mean by step of speeds , I din't understand.
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    ah...you forgot me tag..anyways I got some time to visit CE before my last exam this semester.

@topic 5 Speed Gearbox means five forward gear and one reverse gear. As reverse gear has similar working to that of 1st gear (just reverse in direction, speed wise both are same). Therefore its not called as 6 speed gearbox.

1st and Reverse are in contact with same gear but difference is that gear has one Idler gear that forms a gear train and output gets reversed.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

steps of speed is nothing, but a term which has to be dealt with, while designing gear boxes. actually this is what helps you to decide the number of shafts.

the steps of speeds are obtained by decomposing the total number of speeds of a gear box into its prime factors including 1. the number of factors gives the number of shafts.

for example for a 4 speed gear box the steps of speed are 1x2x2 (4=1x2x2). hence three shafts are required.

for an 18-speed gear box, it goes as (1x2x3x3). hence 4 shafts are required. (1 motor shaft, 2 intermittent shafts, and one spindle shaft).
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

sorry dude, did not see your profile properly, and mistook you for an electronic guy. by the way thanks for your reply.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This happened in my engineering college. Did it happen in yours?
If a capacitor of equal microfarads is connected in parallel with the existing capacitor of a single phase induction motor, then the speed increases drastically. then, 1) does this increase...
It appears that gaming can add ten years to one's life span. At 73 I am not too enamoured to add ten years more to whatever is left for me....
Quote: In a new study, a team of researchers from South Korea, Japan, and the UK has fabricated a half-adder logic circuit using just five transistors Their paper, titled "One...
Here is mouth watering basket of gadgets and more including a camera, which lets you shoot first and focus later! I am glad that I am not a gadget freak....