Design a system that that can detect leakage of an industrial valve?

Dear CEans,

A little background:

I work for Industrial Valves Mfg firm. We make industrial valves of bigger sizes & larger pressures(up to 23000 psi) , so it is a part of the process that we test the valve for LEAK TIGHTNESS.

That is we pressurize the valve in a Pressure Test Stand & check for leakage manually.

Demerits are as follows

1. Because of the size & pressure, it becomes difficult to check manually.
2. False conclusions
3. Safety threat to work men
4. No permanent record

To overcome the above, i am working to design a system.

Few bullet points on the macro idea

1. 4 Cameras to capture all the sides of a valve.
2. Connected to a PC which can record the video being captured for testing time(10 mins approx)
3. A software that can highlight the leakage if any.

Friends, need your help to proceed & ideas to materialize the same.

Also please comment on the feasibility of the above idea & pls post the details of the similar systems you may have come across already.

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I think what type of software you are demanding is good and needed in your field. But there are somethings you are missing.

Sensors will be more efficient in detecting your Leaks. Cameras won't be that efficient.
    on my views, maybe I am wrong, Making a software for that isn't that necessary. Why don't you isolate the valve testing region and put a pressure sensor in that chamber can tell you if the pressure there has increased, That means If there is any leakage can be judged. I may be wrong but I think this should work.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    A nice Idea
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Dear CEans,

A little background:

I work for Industrial Valves Mfg firm. We make industrial valves of bigger sizes & larger pressures(up to 23000 psi) , so it is a part of the process that we test the valve for LEAK TIGHTNESS.

That is we pressurize the valve in a Pressure Test Stand & check for leakage manually.

Demerits are as follows

1. Because of the size & pressure, it becomes difficult to check manually.
    2. False conclusions
    3. Safety threat to work men
    4. No permanent record

To overcome the above, i am working to design a system.

Few bullet points on the macro idea

1. 4 Cameras to capture all the sides of a valve.
    2. Connected to a PC which can record the video being captured for testing time(10 mins approx)
    3. A software that can highlight the leakage if any.

Friends, need your help to proceed & ideas to materialize the same.

Also please comment on the feasibility of the above idea & pls post the details of the similar systems you may have come across already.
    A nice Idea sir.You can use thermal sensors which can help in detecting the variation in temperature.As if there is any leakage I assume there will be a high pressure difference in the near area so as temperature and this would give you a rough idea on leakage
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Tagging experts to give better idea on this topic
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    Tagging experts to give better idea on this topic
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

I already gave my solution. I don't think there is a need to build a dedicated software for that synced with cameras. Pressure Sensors would do behind an isolated chambers
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Have you considered ultrasonic leak detection? It may be suitable for leaks more than some minimum rate. But it is a far more easy and forgiving process. Please see here:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    @#-Link-Snipped-# sir where would be the pressure sensor be placed????? I guess, would the pressure sensor could sustain in such high pressure????
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If the testing is at the manufacturing plant, it is best to use compressed air and an ultrasonic detector on the outlet. This will not contaminate the inside, costs very little and very simple to use.
    Even at 100 psi pressure (shop compressed air will be about this) the leakage rate will be as high as 6% of the leak of air at 23000 psi.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    divya nair
    @#-Link-Snipped-# sir where would be the pressure sensor be placed????? I guess, would the pressure sensor could sustain in such high pressure????
    Please dont call me sir. On the point, pressure sensors can be engineered to sustain ultra high pressure too. So that won't be the issue. When we are testing leakage, we need to record slight change inside the testing chamber.
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    A.V.Ramani
    Have you considered ultrasonic leak detection? It may be suitable for leaks more than some minimum rate. But it is a far more easy and forgiving process. Please see here:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Sorry for the delay guys.... ideas suggested are simply superb....
    Ramani sir's, the above quoted article was very much informative...

@#-Link-Snipped-# - Dude, the valves are bulkier, that is more than 5 tonnes, building an enclosed pressure chamber is not possible practically considering the material handling of the valves.

@#-Link-Snipped-# - Dude, Since it is not a closed chamber, the minute differences in temperature cannot be detected i suppose.

Great Ideas are triggering out... More please...
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    Guys... Please suggest me on how to proceed.....
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    I guess can't the leakage from valve could be detected via whistle or alarm system?
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    It depends on whether you want to detect a fluid leak or a gas leak. I'd recommend having appropriate sensors installed (gas detectors/pressure sensors) and monitoring them through SCADA for surges in electrical output. An alternative is to run a timed helium leak detection test using a probe on regular intervals and measure the output of that probe. Either way you'd need to do a lot of trial and error to see what works best for you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the difference between "members" and "guests" in this site ?
just saw an TV debate highlighting those words . there was a debate which i felt had had an intentional say that technical degrees are of no use because investors...
Hey guys, I am writing this article on some basic tips to apply security on your web accounts. This will help you to secure your account and data, and help...
Its not new but on our Independence day, It hurts a lot CEans.Pakistan has dared to fire again on India's 67th independence day.They violated ceasefire and fired twice which injured...
Recent article in Hindu said that According to a Academic Ranking of world Universities Only one Indian institution had made in the list of top 500 colleges.Do you believe the...