DC current through capacitor and inductor...

HI FRIENDS...... i had a doubt ...what happens when a dc current flows through capacitor and inductor?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    DC is blocked by capacitor and Inductor is short circuited in DC

PS: Pls refer some books given in reference books thread in Electronics and Electrical section
  • satty lavanya
    satty lavanya
    Conqueror
    DC is blocked by capacitor and Inductor is short circuited in DC

PS: Pls refer some books given in reference books thread in Electronics and Electrical section
    can u say.me in detail........
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    You must know that impedance of a capacitor is inversely proportional to the frequency of the message signal

Xc=1/jwC

and when f=0 Xc=infinity

Also in inductor Xl= jwL

and when f=0 Xl= 0

You know that if impedance is infinity the resistance is very high and if impedance is 0 we have a short circuit
  • satty lavanya
    satty lavanya
    Conqueror
    You must know that impedance of a capacitor is inversely proportional to the frequency of the message signal

Xc=1/jwC

and when f=0 Xc=infinity

Also in inductor Xl= jwL

and when f=0 Xl= 0

You know that if impedance is infinity the resistance is very high and if impedance is 0 we have a short circuit
    my doubt was.....see in the case of dc current f=0.as f=1/t i.e as f=0 t=infinity .so now consider by these equations....i=c.dv/dt and v=-Ldi/dt now explain those statements please...
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    That is really a great assumption here Friend

But don't you think resistance plays a role when current flows through a conductor

All I explained was using impedance of capacitor and inductor not the voltage and current rating

PS: Pls note that for a small change in time is never assumed to be infinity in any of the equations u quoted here

dt = a small period of time not the total time in which the inductor or capacitor is charged or excited

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm currently doing a project related to condenser and need latest fluent software for the analysis. I have googled over some sites but couldn't find the need relevant site for...
You do not need to be a "Doctor Who" fan to know about UK’s iconic red phone boxes. One would have thought that with the invention of mobile phones these...
This thread is a discussion on various smart android apps that entitles android phones as "Smart Phones".
​ Remember AltaVista? The search engine that everyone used when the Internet wasn't as big as it is today. Yahoo, the current owner of AltaVista search engine, has decided to...
The Nokia Asha 210 smartphone is now up for pre-order in India with a price tag of Rs. 4,499. Famous for having the dedicated keys for Facebook and Whatsapp, this...