CVT or manual transmission

hello all,
i was pondering that what kind of transmission would be better for an all terrain vehicle of 10 bhp engine, top speed 60kmph and car weight 300 kg. Continuously variable transmission gives a lucrative option over conventional gear box but its not reliable. On the other hand gear box gives jerky motion to the vehicle while shifting to other gears. Help me on this.

Replies

• Abhijeet Khandagale
    Abhijeet Khandagale
    cvt is not at all recommended for atvs... uses belt drives which have a *big* slipping problem.don't tell me you want smooth drives on harsh terrains!! go for gears anytime!!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hello R.Chitkaria, are you trying for SAE baja?
    By the way yes try gears, they are reliable. Also go with simple mechanism of rear wheel drive. In case of climbing up the hill, the vehicle may overturn.

So you need to fit everything in proper place to adjust C.G. What say?
  • r.chitkaria
    r.chitkaria
    @ both thanks for help.. yes this is for baja sae.. since the engine was not decided yet and engine used last time needed a particular type of transaxle.. therefore i asked about CVT but i guess its not as reliable as gears.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hello r.Chitkaria 😀,

SAE provides us with an engine. Is this the first time you are participating in this event? Can you share with us your experiences? 😀

Besides, good going man!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Lecture Series on Foundation Engineering by Dr.Mahendra Singh, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Roorkee. [video=youtube;J2MEki2HAVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2MEki2HAVw&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Hi there, Recently, I started small industry for making printed circuit boards and some type of PCB boards as beginning. So I am looking for a vendor who can supply...
I just graduated as a Civil Engineer. I have always had this idea of building artificial cave homes. Basic idea is inserting a 'cartridge' underground a lot like an RV...
Watch this New Ideas Company TV commercial. Religion is knowledge, too. Bringing religion back to school. [video=youtube;2JgpARGvBnc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JgpARGvBnc[/video]