View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12933 Members
Join this group to post and comment.
Herin HR
Herin HR • Dec 26, 2015

Current, Voltage & Resistance

How does the current, voltage & resistance are related with each other? Which plays a major role?
/-/®©™
lal
lal • Dec 27, 2015
Why don't you try state Ohm's law and post what you understand. We'll work from there!
Herin HR
Herin HR • Dec 27, 2015
Ohm's law states that the steady current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference between the two ends of a conductor.
V=IR

From this I just got V is directly proportional to I which depends upon the resistance offered by the conductor.
But I doubt that how is this made possible?
Explain it.
lal
lal • Dec 27, 2015
It would be more meaningful the other way. Potential difference (pd) is the driving force for current. That is, current is directly proportional to voltage. But, depending on the medium it flows, current experiences an opposing force which limits the amount of flow. That is called resistance.

Now, Ohm's law again, the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly related to the driving voltage (V), but limited by the conductor's property called resistance (R) which is specific to that material.

It should be understood that Ohm's law doesn't apply to superconductors and semiconductors. And even with the slightest change of environmental conditions, resistance of a material varies.
Akhil C Joy
Akhil C Joy • Dec 28, 2015
Hi All,

I want to you some points on resistance.

Resistance is directly proportional to the length of the conductors and inversely proportional to area of the conductors

Equation is attached below.

Share this content on your social channels -