Current flowing through railway track

Hello friends every body knows that current flows across the metals and the railway track and the rail compartments all are metal . So friends my question os that of we touch a high voltage wire to the railway track then how far is the current flows across the rail track and what happens if a current passes near by of it. Because the high voltage wore has very high voltage so we cannot consider that the voltage will dies out after some distance because the voltage is very high.since the train boggie is also a metallic so os the passengers got a shock if high voltage wire touches railway track.
So friends pls reply with appropriate reason.

Replies

• narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i cant understand your question completely but as i understood my answer is no because if that wire touches the track automatically it should be open so no current will be transfered anyhow railway high voltage lines are not so neglected. They will take precautions
  • lal
    lal
    Railway tracks are earthed at frequent intervals. So it doesn't matter if any kind of loose wire falls over it. In railway traction, circuit is completed using the earthed railway track. But there is no risk of electrick shock on the track since all the current will be flowing to earth.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If you see any railway track, after few meters a iron rod is connected to the track lines and to the ground to eliminate the current produced in the tracks.

So in your question , if the high tension wire touches the track then all the current will flow to the earth.

As far as i know , Current always chooses the low resistance path, in this case the rod connected to the track will have low resistance compared to the train.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    narayana murthy
    i cant understand your question completely but as i understood my answer is no because if that wire touches the track automatically it should be open so no current will be transfered anyhow railway high voltage lines are not so neglected. They will take precautions
    Friend i am mot pointing the fingure to the high voltage security i am just wamt to know how far its effect can be felt if we touch a high voltage line to the railway track i specify railway track because ot only which ia condictor with very large length so reply for it.
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If you see any railway track, after few meters a iron rod is connected to the track lines and to the ground to eliminate the current produced in the tracks.

So in your question , if the high tension wire touches the track then all the current will flow to the earth.

As far as i know , Current always chooses the low resistance path, in this case the rod connected to the track will have low resistance compared to the train.
    U r right but i just want to know after how far traveling the losses will dies the high voltage flowing through rail track.
  • lal
    lal
    I think you have misunderstood railway tracks as the carriers of current, which is not actually the case. You can see overhead lines which carry current to power the locomotive over the tracks.

Even if a high volateg wire touches the track, no one will be electrocuted. Current will simply be bypassed to ground.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want any one to help me in my project . my project is to take infromatiom from gps module and send this information by gsm module to no. and...
Hi CEans I am Sarath kumar .C doing my automobile engineering.I have planned to do my project in Brakes India in Brakes but I am bit confused on the question...
Amazon.in - the Indian online store for Amazon has launched a new Android app to browse through its online catalogue and buy stuff from Amazon right through your smartphone. Everyone...
Porsche India - the premium sports car brand from Volkswagen, famous for the tagline 'There is no Substitute', has launched the second generation of its four-seater sports car Panamera at...
The solar walkway developed by talented engineers at the George Washington University is capable of generating electricity from solar power right under your feet. The 'solar road', as we'd like...