Current economic recession: Where did the money go?

Alright, let's discuss this because probably everyone wants to know the answer.

Companies have been laying off its employees, people have been losing homes, bankers & investors lost the money. Lot of people have been saying that the money is locked in unsold assets. The loans were not repaid.

Can anyone explain where is the money hiding?

Replies

• Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    Its quite simple.. Foreign banks have granted a lot of money as loans for their investors without any assurance whether they could repay it or not.. Now all the investors have vanished without repaying the debts.. As a result, the banks went bankrupt.. So this resulted in a big financial crisis in US which spreaded to the rest of the world. In India, the immediate effects of this crisis is not severe but the after effects would be severe in the next academic year.. Already each and every company is dismissing its employees for coping up with this financial breakdown.. Jet airways has taken over 1000 employees out for the next 5 years. with an assurance that the same post would be given after the period of 5 years.. This is an old news.. Now there is a new but sad news.. General Motors is under a vast lack of money for proceeding their future plans.. It is now planning for dismissing 10000 workers.. Very sad for ourselves(ie) Mechanical Engineers..
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Red Hawk
    Its quite simple.. Foreign banks have granted a lot of money as loans for their investors without any assurance whether they could repay it or not.. Now all the investors have vanished without repaying the debts.. As a result, the banks went bankrupt.
    This was the explanation I heard from a C.A. working for HSBC.
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    raj87verma88
    This was the explanation I heard from a C.A. working for HSBC.
    All of the world renowned companies have already ransacked thousands of its employees to bear this huge hit.. Every Auditor is working on a new plan for saving his company from this crisis.. At this time of recession, it is better to think of a new idea for saving more money..
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well the money is blocked in wrong investments!!! and companies which have gone bankrupt are the ones who has blocked the money,and every industry selling directly to consumers have been hit badly!!!
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    sauravgoswami
    well the money is blocked in wrong investments!!! and companies which have gone bankrupt are the ones who has blocked the money,and every industry selling directly to consumers have been hit badly!!!
    What type of wrong investments? could you specify a few?
  • Lumber Joe
    Lumber Joe
    The_Big_K
    Alright, let's discuss this because probably everyone wants to know the answer.

Companies have been laying off its employees, people have been losing homes, bankers & investors lost the money. Lot of people have been saying that the money is locked in unsold assets. The loans were not repaid.

Can anyone explain where is the money hiding?
    In the matresses
  • Paul Ferguson
    Paul Ferguson
    Hi,

It's a curious phenomenon of bank's bookkeeping that money is effectively created through loans and deleted through loan repayments.

If you get a cashless loan from a bank they increase your account. This increase is effectively an agreement to pay you more cash and so it becomes a new liability of the bank. You're agreement to repay the loan becomes an asset.

The increase in your account is effectively an increase in the total money supply.

As you repay a loan your current account reduces, as does your debt. The bank has less liabilities since the total of all current accounts is lower. It has less assets since the total owed to them is lower.

I'm this way the bank's balance sheet contracts.

The cosequence of this however is that the money used to repay the loan no longer exists in circulation. If loan repayments are greater than new loans the total money supply can lower which is why there can be less money during a recession.

I hope this helps.

For more information visit our website at #-Link-Snipped-#

Thanks,
    Paul Ferguson
    Sensible Money
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    #-Link-Snipped-# How can I get cashless money? What is "Cashless Money"?
    Everytime I apply for loan I either get hard cash or the money is directly transferred to the place where I want to.

At the end of loan agreement, I have payed (Principle+Interest). So for the bank, money is created in the form of interest.

Why do you think that the money repayed (principle+Interest) cannot be used by anyone, not even the banks? At least the interest can be made to circulate.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Cashless money is just what the name says; the money that exists in the form of 'numbers' in the virtual world; yet can be turned into cash.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The_Big_K
    Cashless money is just what the name says; the money that exists in the form of 'numbers' in the virtual world; yet can be turned into cash.
    ok, you mean, it is only for the record. If required it can be "printed".

So it also mean that "The more money is printed, the more it is devalued."
  • Paul Ferguson
    Paul Ferguson
    Sorry for taking so long to reply CE-Baron. I clearly haven't checked this in a while.

Just to confirm when banks process loans they create new money by increasing the borrower's account. They effectively type new money into existence. Just to give you an idea of how much of our money is created this way, only 3% of the money supply exists as notes and coins. The remaining 97% exists as the numbers in everyone's bank accounts.

Bear in mind that any money created in this way, or 97% of all money, has a corresponding debt. We, at Sensible Money, see this as the root cause of the global debt crisis.

Just to get back to the original question banks delete the money they receive for settlement of a debt. This is why there can be less money during a recession. And to answer your other point any money they receive to service the debt is recorded as profit and isn't deleted. Ultimately it's spent back into circulation through the banks expenses.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am doing a project in which I have to control the computer mouse through eye movement. In my project, I will have the co-ordinates from the images of the...
Hi, I'm using a LM555 timer to produce a frequency of 240KHZ & 50% duty cycle. The circuit i'm using is Astable. RA is 82ohm RB is 200ohm C is...
hi CEan's.. please give me breief explanation abt importance and duties of Soft ware engineer
Hello, I m an owner of a small business and like to make my presence felt in internet. Can somebody suggest how to go about? Thanks in advance.
3M innovation leads to introduction of its safest auto-darkening welding shield to date There are many different welders, from the full-time professional to the occasional hobbyist. However, it does not...