ctrl alt del

why such a particular selections of keys to unlock in xp ?????is it randow or is there some reason ????

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    abhimanipal
    why such a particular selections of keys to unlock in xp ?????is it randow or is there some reason ????
    All I know about the sequence is that it was invented by David Bradley. The sequence is used to do lock networked Windows machines and Soft Reboot the machines which are not on LAN (Correct me if I'm wrong, please). This key combination was also used to recover crashed programs (before WinXP).

Note that this key combination is impossible to press using single hand.

More information is available at Control-Alt-Delete - Wikipedia

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha
    The_Big_K
    Note that this key combination is impossible to press using single hand.

-The Big K-
    Biggie, this can surely be done using single hand..try it out with ctrl+alt on the right side of space bar n then delete.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Neha
    Biggie, this can surely be done using single hand..try it out with ctrl+alt on the right side of space bar n then delete.
    Completely forgot that 😁 . Thanks for the clarification.

-The Big K-
  • gr8chintu
    gr8chintu
    I Can Creat Con Folder In Windows....

Any Buddy Know How Can Con Folder Creat In Windows....
  • Jerry
    Jerry
    Re: I Can Creat Con Folder In Windows....

gr8chintu
    Don't change the topic gr8chintu. I think 'con' topic has already been discussed on CE forums.
  • abhimanipal
    abhimanipal
    but why such a particular combination of keys ????
  • aashima
    aashima
    Well I assume it as a set standard as all the other keyboard functions. Like for example, to cancel a window, we can use the combinaion ALT+F4. The question may arise why only ALT or may be why only F4! Same can be the case with all the other numerous keyboard shortcuts.
    Correct me if I am wrong but I guess they don't have any logical reason attached.
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    Re: I Can Creat Con Folder In Windows....

gr8chintu

Tried with many ways,

If Broked and done,

Let me Know in Future...

Regards,
    A.SK...
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    All I use,

To Stop Current Work - Alt + F4

Default Interrupt Controller for Windows - Ctrl + Alt + Del

Current process Strength + Current Ram Meter Action - Ctrl + Shift + Esc

Switch the client computer btween a window & a full screen - Crl+Alt+Brk

- Erased -

Regards,
    A.SK...
  • rahul dev choud
    rahul dev choud
    Its a function of windows ctrl+alt+del to display the task manager option.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    A SudhaKar
    All I use,

To Stop Current Work - Alt + F4

Default Interrupt Controller for Windows - Ctrl + Alt + Del

Current process Strength + Current Ram Meter Action - Ctrl + Shift + Esc

Switch the client computer btween a window & a full screen - Crl+Alt+Brk

And For More Keyboard Actions, Check #-Link-Snipped-#

Regards,
    A.SK...
    Good trick of advertising.....
    Hats of to you sir.. In every post of yours I am finding your site...

Great Going..

--crazy
  • pad
    pad
    may be its random but i can think something... (yes crazy..) CoNTroL the ALTernate way of DELete (CTRL+ALT+DEL)

now something tha may be reasonable...
    u know about trozans ... programs that do something evil and make u belive you need them to carry out some usefull work...

how about a programs that aks you to login using your password and then simply keeps a copy of password and calls the actual programs with your password... interesting and evil too.... right?

now this CTRL+ALT+DEL combination is reserved, completely under the control of OS and no program can use this combination to have any functionality implemented. so u can be sure when u login you are not giving your password to some trozan but to the OS only.

almost all OS will have something like this (Linux uses the same combination for reboot).

now what can be the other key combinations... well any key combinations that can be pressed using two hands, not already reserved and doesnt hamper functionality of existing programs.

so far CTRL+ALT+DEL is the only safe bet in Windows world
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    crazyboy
    Good trick of advertising.....
    Hats of to you sir.. In every post of yours I am finding your site...

Great Going..

--crazy
    - Hi Buddy ,
    Nice Quote by You.
    But I found nothing wrong in your words,
    for me - My Creation is Life.
    For Crazy boy - ????

Any how thanks for your comments.

Regards,
    A.Sudhakar...
  • abhimanipal
    abhimanipal
    alt F4 is not a random key selection .each key has a particular ascii value. when we press alt key the ascii value of all keys changes.tht is why we have alt f4 ,alt f2 and all tht .
  • pad
    pad
    abhimanipal
    alt F4 is not a random key selection .each key has a particular ascii value. when we press alt key the ascii value of all keys changes.tht is why we have alt f4 ,alt f2 and all tht .
    Dear Abhi,

if the world used
    "4" as two.... and "2" as one
    what would that mean.....?

ascii code is altimately converted into just 0 & 1. you can assign any functionality to any sequence as long as all the sequences are un-ambiguos...
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Yes, David bradely invented it but Bill Gates make it famous!

The particular key combination has no computational background
    just because you CANNOT press ALT+CTRL+DEL mistakenly.

btw, at their time the keyboard had only one ALT key on the left side.
    So, it was impossible even now.

EDIT:sorry for bumping up, I think it worths.
  • Rassouq.M
    Rassouq.M
    Hi all,

to: #-Link-Snipped-#
    in order to create a folder named "con" you need to do it in the command prompt and use the command:
    md\\.\\c:\con
    which will create the folder on the c: drive
    and to delete it use "rd" instead of "md"

note: you can choose any path you want like c:\temp\con ...etc

for: ctrl+alt+delete, it is old in microsoft since old versions, and it was manipulated with low level.

best regards.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ctrl+Shift+Esc (task manager) and Start+M (minimize all windows) are key combos I frequently use. Don't you all, in general, use Ctrl+Alt+Del to access the Task Manager anyway?
  • rpkash
    rpkash
    FROM WIKIPEDIA:-

This keyboard combination was implemented by David Bradley (engineer) - Wikipedia, a designer of the original IBM Personal Computer - Wikipedia. Bradley originally designed Control-Alt-Esc key - Wikipedia to trigger a Soft reboot - Wikipedia, but he found it was too easy to bump the left side of the keyboard and reboot the computer accidentally. He switched the key combination to Control-Alt-Delete, a combination impossible to press with just one hand (this is not true of later keyboards, such as the 102-key IBM PC keyboard - Wikipedia or the Maltron - Wikipedia). More advanced Operating system - Wikipedia use its status as a "reserved" combination for various purposes, but often retain the ability to trigger a soft reboot in certain configurations or circumstances. Bradley is also known for his good-natured - YouTube at Bill Gates - Wikipedia, at that time the CEO of Microsoft - Wikipedia, and also the creator of many of Microsoft's programs: "I may have invented Control-Alt-Delete, but Bill Gates - Wikipedia made it famous".

Regards,
    Ravi .
  • prat999
    prat999
    hiiii learn more abt ctrl+alt+del
    Control-Alt-Delete (often abbreviated to Ctrl-Alt-Del) is a computer keyboard command on IBM PC compatible - Wikipedia systems that can be used to reboot the computer, and summon the Task manager - Wikipedia or Windows Security in more recent versions of the Microsoft - Wikipedia Microsoft Windows - Wikipedia operating system. It is invoked by pressing the Delete key - Wikipedia key while holding the Control key - Wikipedia and Alt key - Wikipedia keys.
    This keyboard combination was implemented by David Bradley (engineer) - Wikipedia, a designer of the original IBM Personal Computer - Wikipedia. Bradley originally designed Control-Alt-Esc key - Wikipedia to trigger a Soft reboot - Wikipedia, but he found it was too easy to bump the left side of the keyboard and reboot the computer accidentally. He switched the key combination to Control-Alt-Delete, a combination impossible to press with just one hand (this is not true of later keyboards, such as the 102-key IBM PC keyboard - Wikipedia or the Maltron - Wikipedia). More advanced Operating system - Wikipedia use its status as a "reserved" combination for various purposes, but often retain the ability to trigger a soft reboot in certain configurations or circumstances. Bradley is also known for his good-natured - YouTube at Bill Gates - Wikipedia, at that time the CEO of Microsoft - Wikipedia, and also the creator of many of Microsoft's programs: "I may have invented Control-Alt-Delete, but Bill Gates - Wikipedia made it famous".
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    This Dutch protester wants to reset government policies using Control-Alt-Delete.

Colloquially, the combination is also known as a Control-Alt-Delete - Wikipedia, Three Fingered Death Grip or, more esoterically, as a Vulcan nerve pinch - Wikipedia.
  • prat999
    prat999
    ctrl+alt+del is known as three finger salute.......[πŸ˜€]
    also known as "RAM BAAND"....in apni language......
    ash karo or hamesha press karo "ram baand" ur friend in distress
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    prat999
    ctrl+alt+del is known as three finger salute.......[πŸ˜€]
    also known as "RAM BAAND"....in apni language......
    ash karo or hamesha press karo "ram baand" ur friend in distress
    Prat, please use English. We are read by Engineers from all over the world. So its better to use English. Please refer to our Common Sense Guide available for new members - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • saurabhaceofhea
    saurabhaceofhea
    Sahi keh rahe ho prateek bhai
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    saurabhaceofhea
    Sahi keh rahe ho prateek bhai
    Saurabh, read the post (Just above your post) of Biggi...

Please don't use Hindi... as there are many persons on this forum who don't know HINDI...

Its a universal forum.. people from all round the globe..

--Crazy
  • Nabeel
    Nabeel
    Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,
  • mahul
    mahul
    yeah in linux u can actually design what u want u do with ctrl+alt+del....i hv set it up 4 the process table there too....its usually the logoff menu by default(correct me if its not 4 ur distro)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

#Posting on behalf of our editor-in-chief, Mayur# Hello CEans, Wish you a very happy and prosperous new year. Let the new year bring lot of new ideas and inspire one...
Dear All, I'm glad to announce that the editorial team is being incorporated. The team will be finalised and announced by the end of this month. We will announce and...
Enter the new dimension of I.T World, Check this site and Rate the Contents it as, its https://www.itacumens.com Hope so it helps you a lot. Thank You, Regards, A.SK...;-)
Enter the new dimension of I.T World, Check this site and Rate the Contents it as, Hope so it helps you a lot. Thank You, Regards, A.SK...:wink:
Name: A.SudhaKar (a) A.SK *Engineering Trade: B.Tech ( I.T ) Final Yr + Looking for Project πŸ˜’ πŸ˜• Location: Chennai, INDIAπŸ˜› . *Occupation: Student + Placed Infy Stud 😎+Web Desig'r...