Creation Of New Linux Distro

Hi Guyz some months before i was searching for a Linux Distro with nearly all development tools that means a Linux that can be called as a Linux Development Distro, even after searching for long time i found nothing, so i decided to do something myself. I installed Ubuntu and downloaded several development tools on it, but later it became resource hungry. To make things better i then started examining it internally, tried to understand source and then modified it in my way. In other words i nearly customized it to a level that my friends believe it is some another Linux Distro. Some new features that i created for fun, are acting like candy to my all of my friends. The extra feature includes keeping low on resources no matter what you are running, automatic changing of wallpapers after every half an hour, i customized internal mobile, modem and broadband setting so that it can detect Reliance Net Connect, Tata Photon and even trying for BSNL to work on, i manually added 140b modem support with full GUI which means you'll not now need wvdial command for that.
After hearing several good comments from all, i decided to make a bootable copy and made customized Ubuntu. But when you use it, it'll appear some new Linux Distro but all Ubuntu logos are as it is in it which i want to remove and set as mine. I don't want to release it but use as personalized Distro with my friends. So if someone can help me modify and replace logos then please help me doing so.
For now my Distro Supports nearly all development tools that are useful to create web based and system programs on Linux, personalized backup feature, eye candy wallpaper settings, modem support to all new and old modems, some extra customized commands and shell variables, an easy GUI for wvdial type modem dialing(this is new feature other features you may find in any other Distro also).
I ask for your suggestions and technical skills to make it better. Thank You.
Happy Computing.
😎

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Hey have you used knoppix.One of my friend using it and he loves the features provided by it.
    many types of knoppix is there among that some of those he used is Gnoppix, Knoppix STD, Morphix,
    and PHLAK.
    I don't think there is any linux distro which provide all the facility.Just go through Knoppix it will cover max of them.
    You can use it With LIVE CD.
    In ubuntu 10.04 you do not need to create WVDIAL.It will provide inbuilt facility what you created.
    I never edited the sources in ubuntu but i am also interested after reading you post.
    Can you tell me how you goone created the source of automatic wallpaper changer ??
    Provide me some link from where i got a start.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    i get that.......
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Mohit thanks for the reply, i know that there is no Distro provided with all feature that's why i tried to fill up at least those things which i would love in OS i am running, i have not tried 10.04 yet so i was really not knowing that new Distro has came with the feature i created for myself, it means many people were thinking the same thing that i thought.
    And being honest i just modified source code not created anything new because i never studied anything about coding for Linux i just moved around files which were in source code format i read them and almost of them were self explanatory so i tried modifying them, though for many file i edited i even don't know the language in which they are written and became successful, it was sheer coincidence than even after testing several times system not crashed, might be the case that my c, c++ and batch programming skills and OS information came to help when i tried modifying code.
    The wallpaper changing thing that i did is done in XML and i don't think its a big deal, so i think before you ask for source code try for yourself, if anyhow you became not able to do that, then i' ll send you source code and wallpapers that i used for automatic change along with how to use them.
    Next thing i just searched why my Tata Photon+ does not work on Ubuntu 9.10 and i got answer which lead to further editing, its just a coincidence that i just wanted to run my Net Data Card on Ubuntu and when i tried modifying source it worked and i tried editing further and even that worked. Now everyday i just dive in files to checkout something new and its quite fun to modify your OS as you need(because it never crashes).

The folders you may need to browse for automatic wallpaper changing are as follows,
    /usr/share/backgrounds/
    and
    /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/

try first yourself for few days, i hope you'll be successful else just send me a private message with your e-mail id i' ll send you source and details how to use them. Happy Computing.
  • Shashikant Tembhekar
    Shashikant Tembhekar
    Yes Leo which told is all true because destro being modified by you and modified which you want,and your hands-on command line done not baddely.about programs/source code of Linux its free because of GPL we all of know but it may be quiet difficult/simple,Linux 4 u provide Kernel Voyage series in pdf format so its a basic parts 4 understanding. so cograts!!!!for your best acivement in first dext. and be confident for next......
    Kant Max Max😎
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    @Leo I don't know anything about XML but started to understand some vlc coad which is written using java script.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi guys, i am right now reading this book called "The Robotics Primer" by Maja J Mataric. i took this book from my college library using my very last library...
I am a 2nd year mechanical engg. student. me and my friends were thinking about some small project that can be amazing but at same time affordable. we dont hav...
The BOM SOBADO virus has struck Orkut and all the Orkut users are warned that if you receive any message from your Orkut friend that contains these words; DO NOT...
This task has been topping the CE priority list for long. We are in the process of changing the CE Members Titles and ID Colors. We will be keeping some...
Tell us how will you spend your first salary; or if you are employed, how did you spend the first salary? Did you blew it off on parties? Or did...