COURSERA _ Free online courses from top universities like Prninceton, Stanford nd Michigan

Coursera is a social entrepreneurship company that partners with the top universities in the world to offer courses online for anyone to take, for free.
There are many courses available. I have not checked out the level of skills that one can develop with these. Considering that these are given by top professors of some of the best institutions in the world, there should be nothing wanting.
Courses cover many areas spanning the Humanities, Medicine, Biology, Social Sciences, Mathematics, Business, Computer Science, and many others. New ones are being added.

It is all free. Worth a try. Signing up requires just your name, email and a password. Nothing else.

Top Online Courses and Certifications | Coursera

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Just checked their website, and I am impressed. Lots of useful topics in there. Its interesting to see everything from Computer Science to Healthcare, Medicine, and Biology to Economics, Finance, and Business. It is fantastic! 😀

I feel somewhere inside that education-to-home is going to come sooner than we are expecting. And I think home-schooled students are at par or even beyond to the co-ed boarding school students. Just my views.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    Just checked their website, and I am impressed. Lots of useful topics in there. Its interesting to see everything from Computer Science to Healthcare, Medicine, and Biology to Economics, Finance, and Business. It is fantastic! 😀
    I consider myself a student though 73. I register for various courses, both regular and online. The catch in coursera seems to be that you will not get a certificate/degree after taking the course. They will give your grades to anyone (potential employer referred to them by the candidate).
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    I consider myself a student though 73. I register for various courses, both regular and online. The catch in coursera seems to be that you will not get a certificate/degree after taking the course. They will give your grades to anyone (potential employer referred to them by the candidate).
    That makes it even more appealing to students. 👍
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I have taken a couple of computer science courses from Stanford through Coursera. The course content and the delivery model are very good. I'm on the look-out for more courses of my liking to sign-up. It's really amazing..

And there will be online assignments and one final exam too, that will be given online. And if I'm not wrong, certificates of course completion are in fact sent out to those who have completed the course fully by completing all assignments and also giving the final exam. Only, the certificates won't be from the University that is offering the course, but from the faculty that gave the course in the website. Sort of an acknowledgement, but not officially from the university.

Sadly, I didn't give the final exam for the course that I took, so no certificates for me.. Although, the reason I signed up for the course was to know about that subject, and not for the certificate.

PS: They have very good community support too.. Each course would usually have its own forum where students can ask their doubts and discuss the topics.. Students can also form study groups etc..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys plz tell me the answer...
Kingdom tower is under construction at Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. The tower will be 1000 meters high, pushing Burj Khalifa to spot #2 (828 meters). The construction of the tower has...
Here is a new device that you can buy for your dog. It is called Go-Go Dog Pals. It is a remote controlled pet toy designed to be chased by...
Abeno Harukas is Japans' proposed tallest structure that will shoot 300 meters above the ground level. The structure is currently under construction and is expected to complete in March 2014....
Stumbled upon a blog that did an analysis of the prices offered on books by Flipkart vs.HomeShop18, it looks like Flipkart's now charing way more to the customers. Is it...