Convolution of two signals

hello..
please tell me what convolution is ?? and while getting the convolution of two signals ,
one of them is delayed,right??? so why do we do that??(i.e delaying one signal)
kindly help...

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    We are not exactly delaying as we are tending that delay by 0 and infinity in the case of CT signals the delay term vanishes and it is of no importance in the final output
  • sniya
    sniya
    huh?? isnt x(t)*y(t)=(integration -infinity to infinity)x(T)(y(T-t)dT.....where are we tending it with 0???
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I meant only the positive half of the signal where the X(t) is multiplied with u(t) and the entire signal is defined only in the positive half of the time domain
  • sniya
    sniya
    do we always define the signal in only positive half????i guess i have to read about it again..
    (though it doesnt really go through my head...) but please tell me about what convolution basically is.....
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    It is a way of signal multiplication That is multiplication op of two signals

And some time only signal are defined in positive half some times in both the halves and some times in negative half
  • sniya
    sniya
    ohk thank u😀
  • Sagar07
    Sagar07
    convolution is basically used to find the response of linear time invariant systems. In simple language, if we the price of 1 banana is 5 rs, then to calculate the price of 10 bananas, 5*10=50. Similarly, in technical language, if the output of the system to unit delta(1) is h(n), then to calculate output to input x(n), y(n)=x(n)*h(n), here,simply multiplication is replaced by convolution, but idea remains the same.
  • sniya
    sniya
    Sagar07
    convolution is basically used to find the response of linear time invariant systems. In simple language, if we the price of 1 banana is 5 rs, then to calculate the price of 10 bananas, 5*10=50. Similarly, in technical language, if the output of the system to unit delta(1) is h(n), then to calculate output to input x(n), y(n)=x(n)*h(n), here,simply multiplication is replaced by convolution, but idea remains the same.
    ...understood😀....so why is there the term h(k-n) in the formula??? why not just h(k)???

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

iGATE founder Phaneesh Murthy has said that Obama's victory as the President of United States Of America may not be a good sign for the Indian IT industry. Obama's been...
Microsoft is releasing Office App for Android and iOS devices soon (VoiCE). The expected release date is in February-March 2013 for the iOS version and the Android version will come...
Is it possible to share or transmit power(either ac or dc) via blutooth...???
Whose project should I select in the field of power generation system?
In quest of deep knowledge of civil engineering.Want to correlate each and every part of theoretical knowledge to real world problems.