Connecting polarised capacitor with wrong polarity - what happens?

I wonder what happens if a polarised capacitor is connected with the wrong polarity. Will it burst?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The Capacitor will explode with small puffy smoke & volcano kinda burst.
    I have seen it, It's somewhat entertaining.
    DO try it, at your home ;-)
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The dielectric in such capacitors is an integral oxide film produced by anodizing the anode (aluminium or tantalum foil) at a voltage about 10% higher than the rated voltage of the capacitor. This oxide film is insulating. To ensure that the film is intact and self repairing, an electrolyte is kept in an absorbent medium between the anode and cathode.
    The film is destroyed if the voltage is reversed and only a bare metal results. What this means is that the capacitor becomes a short for reverse voltage. The increase in current electrolyses the water in the electrolyte producing oxygen and hydrogen gas which builds up pressure inside the sealed enclosure and explodes as graphically described by TSH above.
    (happy Ganesh Chaturthi! Couldn't resist that)
  • ganesh p
    ganesh p
    bioramani
    The dielectric in such capacitors is an integral oxide film produced by anodizing the anode (aluminium or tantalum foil) at a voltage about 10% higher than the rated voltage of the capacitor. This oxide film is insulating. To ensure that the film is intact and self repairing, an electrolyte is kept in an absorbent medium between the anode and cathode.
    The film is destroyed if the voltage is reversed and only a bare metal results. What this means is that the capacitor becomes a short for reverse voltage. The increase in current electrolyses the water in the electrolyte producing oxygen and hydrogen gas which builds up pressure inside the sealed enclosure and explodes as graphically described by TSH above.
    (happy Ganesh Chaturthi! Couldn't resist that)
    can you give explanation why capacitor short circuits when connected with reverse polarity?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    A reversed voltage changes the dielectric (basically an insulator) into a conductor resulting in short-circuiting the capacitor.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ganesh p
    can you give explanation why capacitor short circuits when connected with reverse polarity?
    The dielectric is an anodic film. IF polarity is reversed this film disappears due to the reversed electrochemical reaction. Without the dielectric capacitance also disappears. You can have a capacitor made that has the film on both electrodes. This will work either way. However, It will be almost double the size for the same capacitance.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    one more operation may happens when you considers if capacitor changes its polarity motor get exited in opposite direction , so other situations may considers such that capacitor may get damages ....
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    arunchary
    one more operation may happens when you considers if capacitor changes its polarity motor get exited in opposite direction , so other situations may considers such that capacitor may get damages ....
    Are you sure. As far as I am aware of, motor capacitors are the non polarised type. Polarised capacitors are generally the large valued ones used mainly for filtering, wave form smoothening and such.
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes sir i have tested in the case of wet-grinders when i placed a capacitor in an opposite polarity, it starts rotating in anticlockwise direction.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I think that we are talking of different things. Polarised capacitors are usually electrolytics. They have a positive and negative terminals. What you are mentioning is that the capacitor is placed on one line or the other of the power supply, not just fixing the capacitor in reverse. In your case the phase shift will be 180 degrees the other way and so the motor reverses. This happens because the rotating magnetic field reverses.
  • naveee
    naveee
    bioramani
    I think that we are talking of different things. Polarised capacitors are usually electrolytics. They have a positive and negative terminals. What you are mentioning is that the capacitor is placed on one line or the other of the power supply, not just fixing the capacitor in reverse. In your case the phase shift will be 180 degrees the other way and so the motor reverses. This happens because the rotating magnetic field reverses.
    if polarity changes magnetic field reverses sir ????
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The capacitor on a single phase motor shifts the phase on one of the windings so that in effect the motor becomes a two phase motor. However, if the capacitor is shited the motor reverses.
    Please read the section on split capacitor motor here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes exactly....sir
  • arunchary
    arunchary
    yes exactly sir...........

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is physical meaning of power signal and energy signal?
SATA as well as Serial ATA (Advanced Technological innovation Attachment) is the future creation drive interface, following a traditional Parallel ATA (PATA). What is the maximum possible length of a...
I remember in the geometry class, we were asked to do the QEDs, prove the already proven mathematical and geometrical theorems. Maybe the logic was to make us 'aware' how...
Hi , I'm Doing my final year project in superheater i has to analys in CFD need some reference and some steps how to analys
Sony has announced a new gaming console and it's still called the PS3. The problem is that there's nothing worth noticing except that the new console is 50% slimmer than...