Computer Science or Computer Engineering? Computer Science isn't worth it?

I like programming, so thats one of the reasons I plan to major in computer science. Also, I like the idea of working with computer graphics and systems for artificial intelligence. But I keep on hearing a lot negative comments about the CS major, here are a few:
1. People who study CS are computer engineering dropouts who decided to take the easy way out cause they couldn't keep up with the difficulty level of CE.
2. Most of the students are gaming nerds who have no social life.
3. Computer Science is a limited major compare to computer engineering.
I've also heard that an engineer has more job openings and has much more knowledge than a computer scientist, since he/she is capable of working with both software and hardware.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Masta: Good question. The facts could be different from what you've heard from various sources.

General rule of thumb is that you should opt for subjects/disciplines of your interest. If you are interested in programming go with it. Don't even listen to what others say. There are ample opportunities for people who love their subjects. People who say negatives about any disciplines are plain-fat-losers.

1. Not always. But if you are vacillating between the options; why not go through the syllabus of both CE and CS and decide for yourself?
    2. Hah! I know doctors who are gaming nerds. What's gaming got to do with choice of discipline?
    3. Rubbish. Each has its own opportunities and scope.

Like I said earlier, there will always be job opportunities for 'good' engineers, not matter which discipline they belong to. You could be a CS engineer with a knowledge of CE that'll shame CE grads. I personally know many electrical engineers who can program in any language and put a CS engineer to shame.

It's all about your interests and passion. Everything else just follows.
  • Leo
    Leo
    People who say negatives about any disciplines are plain-fat-losers.
    Damn True.

Like I said earlier, there will always be job opportunities for 'good' engineers, not matter which discipline they belong to.
    Man is worth not his discipline.

I personally know many electrical engineers who can program in any language and put a CS engineer to shame
    Even i am not a good coder but that ever made me bad engineer. Because at last its you who really matter and of course hard work can even beat talents and bad luck, so keep going don't listen to words of losers.
  • themask
    themask
    Comp Engineers create new things, While CS make use of it and applies them

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi friends I got a tune and the lyrics for CE-Birthday song to sing it on CE Anniversary. I need some people who are good at singing english songs.There are...
Define irrigation and explain its necessity and scope in India Describe the different types of Irrigation schemes . Explain each briefly What are the benefits and ill effects of Irrigation.?...
I am not able to upload an image in ImageStack.us. Could anyone please help me out. The message I am getting everytime I tried is " No file Uploaded".😔
hi guys. this iz my first post from crazy engineers .i have a problem that i wan u help in passing out my exams so pls give me some tps...
hi pls guide me .how to use this crazy engineers forums pls.need help