Combining a turbocharger and a supercharger together as a single unit, feasible?

Hey CEians,
I need some help here as I'm still a student exploring the mighty worlds of engineering, so please feel free to suggest/comment/criticize. I have had a plan in mind of fabricating something which combines both the turbocharger and the supercharger together as a single unit to allow better mounting and save some space as I am aware that people are already incorporating both chargers in the engine bay, but requiring 2 intercoolers and a messy setup of tubes running all over the engine.

So the basic idea which struck me is maybe combining rotational motions from the crank and from the exhaust fumes into a single root type charger design. As I really have limited resources and knowledge, I'm not entirely sure if it will work, so a little help is appreciated. I plan to combine both rotational motions using miniature clutch-like structures. So, will this idea be feasible?

Feedbacks are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jigarmech
    jigarmech
    PrinceTan
    Hey CEians,
    I need some help here as I'm still a student exploring the mighty worlds of engineering, so please feel free to suggest/comment/criticize. I have had a plan in mind of fabricating something which combines both the turbocharger and the supercharger together as a single unit to allow better mounting and save some space as I am aware that people are already incorporating both chargers in the engine bay, but requiring 2 intercoolers and a messy setup of tubes running all over the engine.

So the basic idea which struck me is maybe combining rotational motions from the crank and from the exhaust fumes into a single root type charger design. As I really have limited resources and knowledge, I'm not entirely sure if it will work, so a little help is appreciated. I plan to combine both rotational motions using miniature clutch-like structures. So, will this idea be feasible?

Feedbacks are greatly appreciated.
    excess of air to fuel ratio will reduce the efficiency. So what is it behind introducing this concept? i mean are you trying to make engine run smoother or making it efficient...
  • PrinceTan
    PrinceTan
    Yea, in a way to improve efficiency of the engine because I've seen some of the examples which combines the power from both chargers and the engine looked messy as hell. So I thought that maybe this would turn out to be a good project. So you're suggesting that with an upgraded fuel system it actually can improve the efficiency, is that so?
  • jigarmech
    jigarmech
    no buddy, what actually this turbo-super does in the system is it compresses the air and send it to engine resulting high air-fuel ratio which is basically adopted in racing bikes due to its high speed of the engine and hence less time it take to complete cycle. But in the conventional(non-racing) bikes the air-fuel ratio is perfect acc to the cylinder and will not alter in its efficiency by introducing these charger(that what i think).
    But i may say by introducing a combustible gas in the mixture in the charger itself and then supplying it to chamber might help in its efficiency and sounds innovative(idea struck my mind while i was replying. lol)

Hope it helped you.
  • PrinceTan
    PrinceTan
    If I get you right you're suggesting something similar to nitrous oxide injection right? Anyways, did some further research and found out that indeed it will not work as the charger that I plan to integrate (root type supercharger) is not thermally efficient, as what you have indicated, plus it is not capable of producing higher boost even at higher engine RPM level. So, any other ways of achieving this concept of mine? If no, any other leads that you guys can suggest me research on as I initially thought of it as my final year project.
  • jigarmech
    jigarmech
    PrinceTan
    If I get you right you're suggesting something similar to nitrous oxide injection right?
    no not nitrous oxide. I mean to say what if we mixture natural gas with air in charger itself and make their way to the engine cylinder where charge is already there...
    This will make the engine efficient, low running cost(but high initial cost) and sounds new concept(i haven't done this before and neither seen anywhere).
  • Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    Sorry friend, according to my point of view, using a supercharger and turbocharger together will not work well. There are several reasons for this, the first and the most significant one is the turbo lag. If you think that using both supercharger and turbocharger together will increase volumetric efficiency greatly ,then think twice because such systems will adversly affect the preset valve timing which is one of the most essential elements for smooth knock free running of your engine. So as a result, deciding cam profiles for aprropriate valve timing for such a system will be tedious.

If you think that you can couple turbocharger to supercharger(like the charge first enters the turbocharger and then the compressed charge moves into supercharger), then you would lose a lot of brake power in running your supercharger due to high work requirements in compressing pressurized gas and if you reverse the system , then exhaust gases will not be able to run the turbocharger due to non availibility of adequate energy.

If the system works, then i agree that it will deliver higher power but fuel consumption will also increase which, in my view will result in higher bsfc which is not desirable. Secondly in no way can such a system be used in S.I.engines. So, in my view such a system may prove to be disadvantageous.
  • Amit Krupal
    Amit Krupal
    Hi

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the supercharger?

1) Why does it create heat?

2) how much heat does it create?

3) Is it dangerous to run stock compression on it?

4) If I were to install a thicker head gasket to lower compression, would size would it be and what compression ratio would be the best?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Amit Krupal
    Hi

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the supercharger?

1) Why does it create heat?

2) how much heat does it create?

3) Is it dangerous to run stock compression on it?

4) If I were to install a thicker head gasket to lower compression, would size would it be and what compression ratio would be the best?
    1) basically any device creates heat . if it does not create heat then it violates a law of thermodynamics and becomes a PMM.

2) depends on its efficiency. the lesser the efficiency, the greater the heat created.
  • Amit Krupal
    Amit Krupal
    zaveri
    1) basically any device creates heat . if it does not create heat then it violates a law of thermodynamics and becomes a PMM.

2) depends on its efficiency. the lesser the efficiency, the greater the heat created.
    Well i mistakenly posted 1st question about heat, my main question is
    "Does any supercharger gives an compressed air with 100-150 degree Celsius? "
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Amit Krupal
    Well i mistakenly posted 1st question about heat, my main question is
    "Does any supercharger gives an compressed air with 100-150 degree Celsius? "
    mostly it does
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    This is actually a brilliant idea. A turbocharger is "online" only at certain exhaust pressures and temperatures, whereas a supercharger is "online" all the time. So whereas the turbo will be good for mining the exhaust for useful energy, the supercharger gives your engine an extra boost all the time. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

What can be done is this. Take a roots blower, put a clutch between it and the turbocharger impeller shaft on one side and a clutch between it and the crank output. Then you can actuate the clutches as you prefer, running the impeller with crankpower during start up and with the turbocharger impeller when the engine is developing enough power. Actually you can use a governor to actuate the clutch for you as well.
  • saravanan4
    saravanan4
    turbo or super charger is used to increase the efficiency , a combination of super charger and turbo charger will decrease the efficiency of the engine.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    Gurjap
    This is actually a brilliant idea. A turbocharger is "online" only at certain exhaust pressures and temperatures, whereas a supercharger is "online" all the time. So whereas the turbo will be good for mining the exhaust for useful energy, the supercharger gives your engine an extra boost all the time. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages.

What can be done is this. Take a roots blower, put a clutch between it and the turbocharger impeller shaft on one side and a clutch between it and the crank output. Then you can actuate the clutches as you prefer, running the impeller with crankpower during start up and with the turbocharger impeller when the engine is developing enough power. Actually you can use a governor to actuate the clutch for you as well.
    Yea I think this is one good idea.The super charger must be cut off , when engine reaches a higher rpm.
    This can avoid the turbo lag.As the exhaust gases have enough pressure at higher rpm , we will get the required boost.
  • Amit Krupal
    Amit Krupal
    white_hat
    Yea I think this is one good idea.The super charger must be cut off , when engine reaches a higher rpm.
    This can avoid the turbo lag.As the exhaust gases have enough pressure at higher rpm , we will get the required boost.
    Well I think Twin-charger (Super-charger & Turbo Charger) concept is already in production
  • gohm
    gohm
    There's a Ford GT that has a supercharger & twin turbos. Audi R32 as well. I'm sure you can find other cars that have been created with this special setup.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Shirt capable of converting body heat into electricity | News | The Engineer
Hovering robot uses cameras to navigate through buildings | News | The Engineer
CEans, We think this is quite tough puzzle; but certainly not for our awesome CEans. The question below carries 15 CE Coins. The puzzle is a sequence of numbers and...
Once somebody visits CE, he may be under a false impression that such a good site was build in a single day! No it was not. A lot of patience,...
This came in the mail. A very interesting (and probably time wasting) exercise. Technology running wild. Quote:[TABLE] [TR] [TD][TABLE] [TR] [TD][TABLE] [TR] [TD][TABLE] [TR] [TD]WHOEVER CAME UP WITH THIS IS...