coke and mentos

why are these two a deadly combination ? what exactly are the chemical reactions that take place when they combine together?

do other colas like pepsi, and mints like polo, mint-o etc also form such similar deadly combos ?

Replies

• Nachko
    Nachko
    I think that this is a long lasting feud. Something like Montecchi & Capuleti πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What's the element in Coke and Mentos that cause the vigorous reaction? It'd be interesting to sip coke while you're chewing mentos πŸ˜‰
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    zaveri
    do other colas like pepsi, and mints like polo, mint-o etc also form such similar deadly combos ?
    It just tells us that why drinking/eating those chemicals are un-safe and should be always avoided. 😯
    When I first saw the video of coke erupting from the bottle when a mentos was put in the bottle, I was indeed shocked and imagined how it would be like if it is consumed in human body. People would keep puking! πŸ˜–πŸ˜–
    Upon reading, I saw that this effect happens as a reaction between any carbonated beverage and Mentos.
    There are many small pores on the candy's surface that catalyze the release of carbon dioxide gas from the soda, resulting in the rapid expulsion of large quantities of foam.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sodium bi carbonate and any acid will release carbon dioxide. That is what happens. Incidentally thatr is all the active ingredients of ENO's Fruit Salts. The rest is the overactive imaginings of the advertising agencies.
    Eno’s Fruit Salt - The Quack Doctor
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    AbraKaDabra
    It just tells us that why drinking/eating those chemicals are un-safe and should be always avoided. 😯
    When I first saw the video of coke erupting from the bottle when a mentos was put in the bottle, I was indeed shocked and imagined how it would be like if it is consumed in human body. People would keep puking! πŸ˜–πŸ˜–
    Upon reading, I saw that this effect happens as a reaction between any carbonated beverage and Mentos.
    There are many small pores on the candy's surface that catalyze the release of carbon dioxide gas from the soda, resulting in the rapid expulsion of large quantities of foam.
    It does not cause puking, but something worse than that : death !
  • Ubuntu
    Ubuntu
    This combination doesn't lead to death. It keeps your throat and stomach chilled for like 5 minutes. That's all. You can sense bit uneasy in stomach in first 5 minutes. Later , everything comes to normal.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Ubuntu
    This combination doesn't lead to death. It keeps your throat and stomach chilled for like 5 minutes. That's all. You can sense bit uneasy in stomach in first 5 minutes. Later , everything comes to normal.
    BUT A FEW DEATHS WERE REPORTED
  • Ubuntu
    Ubuntu
    zaveri
    BUT A FEW DEATHS WERE REPORTED
    I don't think they are real. One of my friend who wanted to commit sucide has tried this. Later on he was taken to a psychiatrist thats other thing. But i have shared what he said.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Ubuntu
    I don't think they are real. One of my friend who wanted to commit sucide has tried this. Later on he was taken to a psychiatrist thats other thing. But i have shared what he said.
    and i was under the impression that this was a tasty way of commiting suicide
  • Ubuntu
    Ubuntu
    zaveri
    and i was under the impression that this was a tasty way of commiting suicide
    No way !
  • Amith Gupta
    Amith Gupta
    that is some serious way of "attempting" to killl yourself unsuccessfully. Though am quite impressed by the chilled throat factor..should be tried when sad..could atleast end in making you laugh ! Kudos !
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Well i am still afraid to take both these things at the same time.
  • George Smith
    George Smith
    Well, I don't really think that someone could die this way...
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I had tested this with my friends during my Class XII. We did have some photos too, but now I don't have them with me. πŸ˜”
    But it took us rather a whole packet of Mentos (10 or 12 pieces) with 2 litres of Coca Cola. The bottle literally exploded...and so did the neighbours for ruining the place!!!πŸ˜› The explosion took place just after all those Mentos dissolved into the Coke (5 to 7 minutes? Don't remember exactly!😳 )

P.S.: Try it yourself!
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    anoopthefriend
    I had tested this with my friends during my Class XII. We did have some photos too, but now I don't have them with me. πŸ˜”
    But it took us rather a whole packet of Mentos (10 or 12 pieces) with 2 litres of Coca Cola. The bottle literally exploded...and so did the neighbours for ruining the place!!!πŸ˜› The explosion took place just after all those Mentos dissolved into the Coke (5 to 7 minutes? Don't remember exactly!😳 )

P.S.: Try it yourself!
    what exactly was the condition of the bottle ?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    zaveri
    what exactly was the condition of the bottle ?
    Broken and exhausted! Ripped off it's form!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is frequency of operation of a motor controller ? what does it mean ? also tell me what is throttle input motor current limit
Name : Birendra Location : Guwahati, Assam Engineering Discipline : Civil Present Status : Working in a pvt. construction co.
I Appeared GATE 2012 and i got 389 AIR and 757 score. Whether will i get call from BHEL?
Hey everybody. Imagine having a garden the size of a fridge that automatically grows fruits, vegetables and herbs in your own home. We are designing a 3D printable, hydroponic, rotating...
Hi....everyone.Myself "ANIL" & i am a tech craze guyyy.....