Circular Plate Bending Moment and Stress

Dear CEians,

I had a small project going onto my final semester subject. Its a about a Circular Plate attached to the shaft spinning at 1280rpm 1Hp Motor. After that, load being applied uniformly onto the Circular plate. The Diameter of the plate is 125mm and the load applied is at diameter of 100mm. Load of 50kN being applied uniformly.

As i know, the plate intertia is to be 0 or infinit (correct me if i'm wrong). and i got to found out this formula Mr=P(1+ν)log(R/r)/4π. and i dunno how to applied it to have the moments results.

I really have to idea how the calculation would be. Bending Moments of beam i would say yes, i can calculate. but for circular Plate, i would say NO. Any guide would be appreciate.

Replies

• juma1987
    juma1987
    Circular flat plates Circular flat plates

Cross section size
    A = pi R2

Edge supported around the circumference, load distributed uniformly over the surface

Maximum stress
    σ=0.39F/(t^2)
    Deflection
    d=0.221F(R^2)/(E(t^3))

Rotation at support position
    Ф=FR/(piE(t^3))
    Edge fixed around circumference, load distributed uniformly over the surface

Maximum stress
    σ=0.24F/(t^2)

Deflection
    d=0.0543F(R^2)/(E(t^3))

Edge supported around the circumference, load concentrated at the center

Maximum stress
    σ=(0.48F/t^2)(1+1.3Ln(R/0.325t)-0.0185(t^2/R^2))

Deflection
    d=0.55F(R^2)/(E(t^3))

Rotation at support position
    Ф=0.667FR/(E(t^3))

Edge fixed around circumference, load concentrated at the center

Maximum stress
    σ=(0.62F/t^2)(Ln(R/0.325t)+0.0264(t^2/R^2))

Deflection
    d=0.22F(R^2)/(E(t^3))

Strength check
    smax ≤ Sy / ks
    ks ≤k

where F is the load, t the plate thickness, Ks the safety factor

Source: Autodesk Inventor Handbook
  • maxz
    maxz
    Dear Juma~!!!

Your guides is very useful to me. being finding this for a long time. Never know it can be found in Autodesk Inventor Handbook. Our Library is sucks. Thankz anyway.#-Link-Snipped-##-Link-Snipped-#
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    maxz
    Dear Juma~!!!

Your guides is very useful to me. being finding this for a long time. Never know it can be found in Autodesk Inventor Handbook. Our Library is sucks. Thankz anyway.#-Link-Snipped-#

only crazy engineer can solve that so be regular on CE and help others also...
  • juma1987
    juma1987
    ill be around ty 🎉
  • maxz
    maxz
    For the manual calculation part i'm done, and the result is quite satisfied...

But i need to compare it with my simulation testing using Inventor 2010...

How to apply this format into Inventor and simulate it... i have no idea...

I kinda more in Manufacturing and Management for engineerings... Hands on testing is weak for me.. Please help me...

Guides step by step would be much appreciate...

I tried to simulate follow the Help section in Inventor, but it is far different from wat i expected...

The value and the stress is to big compare to my manual calculation. thx
  • juma1987
    juma1987
    well you can use the design acelerator formulas or use FEA, can you make a drawing of what u want with details and post here? so maybe i can explain the process to make it (if i know, and if i dont maybe someone that know it can help).
  • maxz
    maxz
    btw wat is design accelerator formulas??? where can i get it?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone, I'm currently a 2nd year chemical engineering student, and I've come to the realization that chemical engineering isn't for me; I find the chemistry courses interesting, but nothing...
Hi Folks, I hope you will excuse the provocative subject line! Years ago I was a basic mechanical engineer and I knew absolutely nothing about sales. Fast forward hrummph years...
Hi Guys. I need some help with the following. I need to know how to generate a 1ms long burst of 120Khz square wave signal using the pic16f877 and the...
One of the most happening CEans here on CE celebrates his 23[sup]rd[/sup] birthday today. He is, CEan - Godfather! 😁 😁HaPpy Birthday, Godfather 😁 🎉🎉🎉 May your dreams come true...
PS. This is a mail I received today 😀 Its really funny 😀 New Delhi. In what could prove to be a major marketing and legal embarrassment for Hindustan Unilever...