Chinese hackers try steal intellectual property from Google's network

Source: Official Google Blog: A new approach to China

It looks like the cyber war is taking new shape. Google recently published news (see above link) that Chinese hackers attacked their secure enterprise network and the attack was very sophisticated & targeted. Many other big enterprise sites were also attacked.

Google is now considering shutting down Google.cn [#2 in China, after Baidu] and all its offices in China.

What do you think about it?

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Because of a few hackers google is banning the whole country from the office consideration point. On the other side of coin must say that the hackers had a great great knowledge of hacking business that they tried their hands on google.

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crazyboy
    Because of a few hackers google is banning the whole country from the office consideration point. On the other side of coin must say that the hackers had a great great knowledge of hacking business that they tried their hands on google.

-CB

Well, Chinese attacks are not new and defending the attacks takes lot of time, money and efforts. In fact. 90% of the spam we get on CE comes from Chinese spammers.

Even CE has banned lot of Chinese locations. But its almost impossible to ban Chinese spammers using the proxy sites. [​IMG]
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I do not have Lots of knowledge about the hacking. Whatever I knew is if a experience hacker will attach any server, you will not know from which proxy (original one) he is attacking, also finding out the location of the hacker on the globe is not an easier task.

Generally hackers use different proxys sites (from one proxy sites they go to another then after 3-4 combinations they attack on servers, Also they keep changing theire locations so that one can not trace the locations.) to attck any server.

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Is it correct to shut down its entire office at China because of attacks?

Since China is one of the biggest place for out sourcing tasks , other services companies may not take this decision!
  • gohm
    gohm
    I say right on Google! It isn't just the hacking but also the issue of restriction of free information. Yahoo gave out the info agreeingly about users. I hope Google is able to convince China to lift the restrictions on access, if not, I hope Google does pull out. Being that Google is not the top search engine in China, it will lessen the loss they face. I think they will make up for it with all the positive PR.
  • adinickluv
    adinickluv
    I dont think that it is wise decision of taking off from china of google. I mean the competitors of google in china would love that. I think google should take it as a challenge and get much more secured network. Coming to spending money I dont think that google should have problem with that. I suggest Goolgle to start a new small company to protect their network. It will also be a employment to the young hackers who waste their time sitting at home hacking small sites. Its just a suggestion!!
  • Vega
    Vega
    Well, it appears that these attacks were not done by individual hackers but sponsered hackers. As the blog says, hackers were interested in getting info from gmail accounts of Human Rights Activists in China. So it would not be easy for google to deal with such attacks as attackers may have big fishes behind them.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Chinese used 'flaws' in Microsoft explorer to hack Google
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

One of the big name in world Airline industry is JAL (Japan Airline limited), and they are thinking of filing bankruptcy as soon as early next week. News excerpt taken...
Finally, CrazyEngineers' crossed 100,000 posts. I guess we all should now look forward to crossing 200,000 posts in next 4 months. What say you?
Its an urgent requirement for an mini project based on microcontroller for T.E
please tell some good topics for project in vb.
I was wondering if there can be some blog-template which allows me to convert my blog into miniforum thing. Here is what I want. There will be a widget on...