China's Space Debris Monitoring Centre Will Keep An Eye On The Sky

China has established a space debris monitoring centre that will continuously scan the sky for unwanted stuff. The centre will ensure that no space junk hits Chinese spacecrafts orbiting around the Earth. This space centre will be administered jointly by the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence. The centre will also be used to develop emergency response action plan in case of natural calamities and is expected to share its data with international counterparts.

Head of administration, Xu Dazhe said that the centre will rely on existing observatories at various locations in China to gather data. It will also gather data from other international centres to have a comprehensive space debris monitoring system.

Space-Debris-Monitoring-Centre-China

China currently has about 129 spacecrafts orbiting around the Earth and it's important for China to protect them from about 300,000 pieces of man-made junk. This junk comprises of parts of rockets, tiny screws and bolts that travel at about 10 kilometres per second. Even a tiny screw traveling at that speed can cause fatal damage to satellite or spacecraft.

Yan Jun, head of the CAS said that in the recent times there were about 30 incidents where the space debris came dangerously closer to the Chinese spacecrafts.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Not all places have wind all the time and not all places have a good sun all the time. Therefore Poduhvat LTD have decided to offer to market the...
Apple got into direct war with the established music streaming / radio services which includes Spotify, Rdio and everyone else with the announcement of Apple Music. There is a big...
Born in Meerut, India - now an assistant professor of Bioengineering at Stanford University, Prof. Manu Prakash made news last year by astonishing the world with his brainchild - a...
Hi all, I am an ECE graduate with 4 years 11 months exp in BPO domain. It was my first job in and I got promoted as TEAM LEADER since...
Headquartered in Beijing, China, Baidu Inc. is one of the world's leading web service companies that runs China's biggest internet search engine. The engineers at Baidu have taken it to...