Charging mobile phones with light energy

hi i am doing my third year ECE and i went through the topics/ideas for project ...thank you ,that was quite informative .. but i wanted to do something connected with light . so thought of converting the light radiated from various sources to electricity so that it can be used to charge cell phones or any other toy like thing... but i have no idea how to proceed or is it practically possible to implement such a thing ... can any one help me out plz 😀

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: will this work out?

Thread moved to Electrica/Electronics engineering section.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    hey thats known as solar energy
    its possible my friends are making ppt on it there are many ppt's view them and try for it in practice
    i think there a post on this mobile charging in CE
    hope you can do this project
  • asha abu
    asha abu
    @maniac- thank u yar!! but sources in the sense i mean the light from television etc cuz as u told solar energy they r researching now... but i tot using simple photo detectors etc will help in dis... s tat possible ?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i am not sure about that but solar plate and that technology can do that
    even solar technology is not rare it is available now in market
  • Jishnu Gupta
    Jishnu Gupta
    Hey well budyy......i hav an idea for ya what u can do is that use small solar panel n a chargable baterry.
    Well here t goes 1st connect d solar panels to the chargebale battery via suitable means so tht it can get charged like d 1z we have at r homes. Tht battery can be charged in the presence of sunlight n store enf charge for charging the battery .
    second u can gv a port/plug in which you can plug in ur adaptor n charge ur cell or any odr device .

Another way is to hav 2 batteries n can be charged directly hope u lyk t
  • asha abu
    asha abu
    @narayana murthy -well if u get to know any like what i said please do let me know ..
    @jishnu gupta - i dont want to do it with solar cells yar ... i want to try whether it will work out with other soucres that emit light ....solar cells and its useage to charge is already existing right!! i thought i can do this as my mini project
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    well.........
    coming to the solar technology is not fully completed because we cant store the energy for more time as for this time we can store just for 14 hours only
    so why cant you make it more advance
    coming to photo detectors we can just detect the light but not to store much energy in it
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    asha abu
    @maniac- thank u yar!! but sources in the sense i mean the light from television etc cuz as u told solar energy they r researching now... but i tot using simple photo detectors etc will help in dis... s tat possible ?
    Please refrain from using unnecessary non-English words. CE is read by engineers from over 180 countries. Help us keep CE professional.
  • asha abu
    asha abu
    @narayana murthy - fine thank you let me try to advance in it...

@the big k - sorry i am kind of used to it and so i forgot to notice that ... i will change it 😀
  • Jishnu Gupta
    Jishnu Gupta
    Well quite good idea indeed well let me search bout this topic of yours is lights from a tv and all can help charge .....But what i think that it's gonna b tough coz of low values of intensity n luminiscense of the lights from t.v bt still let me try
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear Asha Abu,
    Please let us know what concept you have about photodetectors.
    Thank you.
  • asha abu
    asha abu
    @jishnu gupta - well im happy to hear that you liked my topic... light from tv was just an example for better understanding.. light from sources with better intensity are also my area of interest... kindly let me know if you get any sources / information regarding that..

@aj_onduty- photo detectors in the sense i meant photo diodes that are capable of converting optical to electrical energy ...
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Hmm, isn't that the other name of solar cells. They are known as photovoltaic cells. Photodiodes are of two types, photoconductives and photovoltaics right?
  • asha abu
    asha abu
    well i will put it in this way... photo diodes can be operated in various modes (such as photovoltaic and photo conductive modes) and the photovoltaic mode forms the basis of solar cells.. traditional solar cells are essentially large photo diodes. photo diodes are one of the types of photo detectors. this is what i know ..
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    asha abu
    well i will put it in this way... photo diodes can be operated in various modes (such as photovoltaic and photo conductive modes) and the photovoltaic mode forms the basis of solar cells.. traditional solar cells are essentially large photo diodes. photo diodes are one of the types of photo detectors. this is what i know ..
    Thank you for the knowledge. That is the same thing that I was trying to say. We are actually using the photo-diodes in the form of solar photo-voltaic cells. So, I think that the "new innovative technology" you are talking about to(refer post number 4 in the same thread, written by you.) is already readily available in the market. You just need it to be a bit more sensitive so that it can convert the fainter light energy from television sets and other sources you are talking about, right?
  • asha abu
    asha abu
    yeah .. some what close to that . solar cells are available in market but will the cells with that specification work for all forms of light? the specifications that are needed for converting fainter light energy is what i am looking for and i have no idea whether that would work. i also read there are photo diodes that absorb the radiations but i dont know how to key in for the operation or working of such diodes.. it will be so kind of you if you help me out with what you know..
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    If you are keen enough, Do one exercise. Observe the light from televisions. Calculate the energy possessed by the light rays and calculate its power potential. Do this at least theoretically. Then only you can come to a conclusion on what you are dealing with.
    Then find whether this power potential can be harnessed by the conventional methods, in this case, using photovoltaics.If not, lets innovate a new, low power PV.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

'Technovanza' , VJTI's annual technical festival, is back. After IIT's techfest,this is the 2nd best fest in Mumbai. It is on 4th, 5th & 6th February. This time it includes...
One of the big issues we have faced ever since CE’s inception is to make it usable for everyone and also a big part of it is browser compatibility. However...
well........ this thread is for to explain electronic devices this is actually idea of akd,this is introduction lets start it there are 3 types of devices 1.controlled devices 2.half controlled...
can any one explain me about bank wire and how it can be done?
This morning I was looking for pcb prototype manufacturer and found the interesting one. The online quote is pretty simple. I think it might be useful and be another alternative...