CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Khartz Di • 04 Oct, 2012
how can we show that the change in entropy of an ideal gas undergoing a polytropic process 1-2 is given by
S2 - S1 = mCv (k - n) ln(V2/V1)
where the symbols have their usual meanings. ...

any help please???
@The myth buster • 19 Oct, 2012 well i believe that instead of (k-n) term you should be having k^2-1 term in the expression..rest of it is fine..!!
@Kyle Schieber • 21 May, 2016 Hello, for those who are interested in the answer:
It all begins with these four expressions:

dQ=dU-dW (1) ->1st law (the minus sign in dW will be useful later);
dQ=TdS (2) ->from definition of entropy for reversible processes;
dW=PdV (3) -> Compresion-expansion work;
dU=CvdT (4) -> for ideal gases U=U(T);

substituting (2) and (3) in (1):
dS=(dU/T)-(PdV/T),
inserting (4) in this expresion, and using ideal gases (PV=NRT) yields:
dS=(CvdT/T)-(NRdV/V)
integrating:
S2-S1=Cvln(T2/T1)-NRln(V2/V1)

now, using T2/T1=(V2/V1)^(1-n) (from polytropic process definition coupled with ideal gas eq.), and knowing that Cp-Cv=NR (for ideal gases):
S2-S1=ln(V2/V1)*(Cv(1-n)-NR)=ln(V2/V1)*(Cp-nCv)
the definition of adiabatic factor is k=Cp/Cv, so:
S2-S1=Cv*ln(V2/V1)*(k-n)
if Cv' is the constant-volume specific heat per unit mass:

S2-S1=mCv'(k-n)*ln(V2/V1)

regards!
5.1k views

Related Posts

@parin bumia · Oct 1, 2012

I want to ask how the speed regulation is done in case of ceiling fans. Also, as how the speed of the fan changes on changing its capacitor, that is,...
2.9k views

@shashu1989 · Feb 23, 2011

Hey Crazy Engineers, I am a final year Engineering student (Metallurgy branch)... As a part of it v need to present a Technical Seminar of a topic related to Metallurgy......
3.3k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jul 28, 2010

YOU Broadband is quite active in Pune and I wish to know how is the service. They do have few exciting plans, however when it comes to service it's impossible...
7.1k views

@Ankita Katdare · Dec 6, 2015

In November 2012, a loyal member of CrazyEngineers Community @Manish Goyal (a Computer Science Engineer) asked a simple question 'How does TrueCaller work? and we all started discussing how we...
1.6k views

@sneha agarwal · Sep 23, 2008

i m in third year of instrumentation and control engg. want to know about the final year projects and scope of this branch.will u share it with me
17.7k views