Ceiling Fans: ensure full tightening of bolts and nuts with the spanner

The small instruction manual that accompanies every new fan in its packaging , has the caution on it which goes like "ensure full tightening of bolts and nuts with the spanner"

Now what would happen if this was not taken care of ? would the fan really go for a sixer suddenly while spinning ? don't you think that even if the fan was just made to hang, using the bolt alone without the nut, it would still be a safe installation, because the weight of the fan acting on the bolt would still hold it in place and prevent it from moving.

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    If the bolt were not tightened enough this could lead to excessive noise and vibration. Vibration can lean to the bolt becoming loose and eventually falling out. Usually when you have moving parts you want to keep them stable while in motion.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    If the bolt were not tightened enough this could lead to excessive noise and vibration. Vibration can lean to the bolt becoming loose and eventually falling out. Usually when you have moving parts you want to keep them stable while in motion.
    now if there was a perfectly balanced fan with dynamically balanced blades, would vibrations still occur , leading to the fan falling down ?
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    If you were able to make a perfectly aerodynamic fan there is still axial loads along the axis of the fan due to its weight and resultant thrust as it spins. The thrust may not be constant all the times but oscillating due to changes in the environment so you will find vibration developing from there.
    There is also frictional forces in other linkages.
    However we use the term 'perfect' loosely here. Perfect means that the fan blades will experience no air resistance which is near impossible.
    Many things around us are way over designed but it is done so on the premice of better being safe than sorry.
    Designers have to compensate for misuse and critical conditions the product will be exposed to.
    They also have to compensate for poor installation.
    This is why they seek to protect not only you, but themselves as well from law suits arising out of injury, by indicating proper installation in their product package.
    We are assuming perfect design but in reality it is not so the need for the nut and proper tightening is essential.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Check out this funny video tracing the term nerd through history and how it is influencing engineering:
Late night phone posting so Il be brief. Say I can make phone applications, program databases and build my own customized search engine. Now what mindblowing innovations could be made...
The difference between a D-latch and an edge-triggered D-type flip-flop is that the latch: A) is controlled by the logic level at its ENABLE input rather than a CLK transition....
😀i am an engg. graduate passed out in 2011 having 70% career through out the career.i am searching for job in a good electrical compny.can you help me??
The Daily Deal website dealivore.com has shut down its operations after 2 years. The site's founders have left a notice on the front page of the site that is quite...