CE Starter Kit For New Members

Folks,

Shall we get this done this time? I believe this is going to be very useful for all our new members.

We want to come up with a CE Starter Kit.

About CE Starter Kit (or a better name, if you have)

Will be a zip file containing all the stuff required by new members to understand CE & get started. Will be available for download on CE free of cost to all our new members. The zip file will be less than 1 MB in size.

CE Starter Kit will contain -

• A PDF or PDFs that explains what CE is, what we do, how to get started, who to contact etc.
  • CE Logos (which can be printed), wallpapers, a theme song mp3 ๐Ÿ˜› .
  • T-shirt discount coupon code which can be used while purchasing CE Merchandise (the store will be setup)
  • CE promotional material: Invitation mails, PDFs of our small talks, summary of our greatest threads etc.
  • A guide for college students: How to associate with CE for college events.
Your free form ideas are welcome. However, I believe we should get started with few things.

Shall we all begin working on this CE Labs project?

Volunteers, please!

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think the CE Logos and song can be placed in a separate zip if you want the size limit to be less than 1MB ๐Ÿ˜‰

Alright, this documentation thing has been a bane for us for ages. Lets place our priority on that! We'll work on the words and pics first. The formatting and design can be done later.

Good luck!

*runs away*
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Duh! (*hopelessly watches Ash shrinking off the horizon*)

Volunteers for the PDFs, please?

How we'll handle this activity -

1. Documentation Team: To come up with PDFs to be included in the Kit.
    2. Logos, Wallpapers Team: To come up with the necessary JPEG, PNGs, GIFs
    3. CE Promotional Material Team: To come up with flyers, college notice board posters, Friend invitation mails etc.

So far so good?

Nominate yourself please. Being lazy is boring and so unlike a true CEan.
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    I am very excited to be part of this. I may contribute some logos & GFX, if you wish.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    * Raises hand for PDFs *

PS: I have never created a PDF before so I guess this shouldn't be an issue ?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I am "IN"

any work other than Writing Tutorial

PS: i am not too good in writing ๐Ÿ˜”
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Count me too ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    shalini_goel14
    * Raises hand for PDFs *

PS: I have never created a PDF before so I guess this shouldn't be an issue ?
    Shalini, check out this software:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Its quite a breeze to create professional looking PDF's with it ๐Ÿ˜€

I'd think we'll need to liaise with the graphics grew to provide the logos and designs. A standard template needs to be decided on too.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Thanks for the link, I guess PDF Creator can also work for so called "CE Doc". ๐Ÿ˜

Anyways , would anyone tell me what all is to be done in that doc CLEARLY or I shall assume it is also going to be like CE-IM (one person speaking to oneself only) ? If it is latter case then don't count me. BEST !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, you can create PDFs in Word 2007. Don't worry, I'll create them once the documents are ready.

I'm forming new teams in separate threads inside CE Labs.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Re: CE Media Kit: The documentation squad

Well,

If I am not wrong the purpose of these PDFs is to make Newbies familiar with CE usage right?

Now as total size of kit is to be considered as 1MB so much of images cannot be included. Now story types PDFs would remind them of History books so I guess we are left with diagrams like making Sitemaps and block diagrams along with including images at desired places[Any other ideas for this -most welcome ! ]. Now coming to dividing PDFs - depends on the purpose of each PDF and that can be divided later. Now first question is what all exactly need to be told to newbies about CE and its usage in PDFs ?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Re: CE Media Kit: The documentation squad

Not to let you down , do people read PDF's ?

if yes
    So my idea is make the branch section while joining as a drop down to select a proper branch.

Then we can send them branch specific PDF's such that it could be more helpful for them rather sending all people the same stuff.
    So my idea is to make one PDF with general instructions and information about CE.
    Other PDF's may contain information about all the engineering trades , which contain information about popular threads and innovative ideas etc etc ...
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Some valid points being raised ๐Ÿ˜€

I guess we'd need to look from the perspective of the new member. If he/she is proactive enough to download, extract the zip file, and open the PDFs.. then it would not be a problem. But for those slightly impatient, we'll still need to duplicate some (if not all) of the information in this starter kit online as well.

Ah, and the software I mentioned is more for the design than anything.. think a lighter version of Adobe Indesign. The graphics are vector based (arent I obsessed with vector arts or what?). Meant to use for things like leaflets, magazines, blueprints, posters, etc. Not bad for free software.

Despite me saying all the above, lets not concern ourselves with the delivery of the content first.. but rather, the content itself. Once we have compiled information, we can edit the information to a more suitable means.. whether it requires trimming, simplification, etc. Thats the purpose of drafts, I believe ๐Ÿ˜€

So, reiterating objectives listed by Biggie from our stalled CE Documentation project:
    1. A brief quick start guide for people familiar with the concept of forums.
    (Contains: About CE, Posting Rules, Where to get started. Should not be more than 3 maximum 4-line paragraphs)

2. Brief guide on how to post on CE Forums ( Already available. Can be modified if needed )

3. Brief guide on how to use CE Conference.

4. Brief guide on how to send private messages.

5. Brief guide on how to post profile visitor messages.

6. Brief guide on who to contact for help on CE Forums.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    For Point no1 : Corect me if wrong "About CE" something like that is already on home page right ? Personally speaking I don't think so anyone would like to even read it at first. I never ever read it. ๐Ÿ˜› So useless adding duplicate information in the kit.

For Point no 2: Where it is avaialble?

Rest points are later concerns.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm.. I think he meant information from these threads:

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. How many people read PDFs? -

Well. Everyone will. We don't want to write essays. We're setting up new documentations benchmarks for the world. Can we come up with something so awesome that everyone will want to read it?

Of course, we all can redirect new members to the starter kit where all their common questions will get answered.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Actually.. aren't new documentation methods tend towards online collaboration (eg wikis) ? ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The_Big_K
    Hmm. How many people read PDFs? -

Well. Everyone will. We don't want to write essays. We're setting up new documentations benchmarks for the world. Can we come up with something so awesome that everyone will want to read it?

Of course, we all can redirect new members to the starter kit where all their common questions will get answered.
    If they read , my idea is to make Stream Specific PDF's .
    For Example we can include in Electricals and Electronics Section--

Have you ever heard of designing robots?

Extracting power from a tailors wheel?

thoughts about charging mobile through Sound waves ?

etc etc ..

If we can include those discussions , explain them how it would be useful i think it might be interesting ๐Ÿ˜€

comments please!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    E-S, let me clarify the idea of CE Starer Kit -

1. It will not be specific to any section/forum.
    2. The idea is to make new members aware of the overall forum usage, posting, guidelines and policies.
    3. Make them post their introduction on the forum with a step by step guide, make them understand concept/usage of roles/titles, private messages, visitor messages, friendship requests etc.

We may quote examples of threads to tell them how to make use of Forums and how it can benefit them.

We will also appeal them to pass on the information to their friends so that they can also join.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    oh! Ok.

IF we are not going for stream specific then we can guide them about all the sections available , we can even suggest a good question format.
    How to post and where to post a question.

We can explain about Ce - Labs where people can find many projects and innovative ideas ๐Ÿ˜€

will come up with something more !!!

Lets say everyone can post when they joined what they thought that was lagging here ? such that we can get the answers..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, we'll include those things.. a description of CE's threads, etc.

xhx had done a sort of question format here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Continuing discussion from here #-Link-Snipped-# and following suggestions given by ms_cs

ms_cs
    1st PDF- Rules, About CE core team
    2nd PDF- How to's [Post a new thread, use the PM,VM etc.,]
    3rd PDF- Text Editor Options
    4th PDF-CE Labs
    Starting with the work of 1st PDF - "Rules & About CE core team"

1. About Rules - Correct me if following link is to be used #-Link-Snipped-#

2. About CE Team -just finally confirmation
    CE Admin : The_Big_K
    CE Editor : ๐Ÿ˜•
    CE Mods : ash, Maro, raj87verma88, mayurpathak, gohm [ Anyone else missing? ]
    CE Ambassadors: durga, Differential, sauravgoswami.

Right? Now can anyone provide me any link(if have any) that tells a user whom to approach in which case or situation?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @Shalini... This is link #-Link-Snipped-# may be helpful in 1st Pdf.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    We can include this,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hello so-called CE Team ๐Ÿ˜

#-Link-Snipped-#

For the rules mentioned in above thread, can I get some samples of Do's and Don'ts today only because I find time to work only on weekends otherwise things may stretch to next week's next week and...so on ๐Ÿ˜

I am planning to include some sample images in rules and showing green colored tick mark on those which are "allowed" on CE and red cross on those which are "not allowed" on CE.

I am asking your so called team because you people know better than me about CE and kind of good and bad posts made here.

Thanks a lot for quick replies if it is OK with your team !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    shalini_goel14
    Hello so-called CE Team ๐Ÿ˜
    CE Team. It's not so-called. It's called so.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    CE Team. It's not so-called. It's called so.
    Ha ha ! Don't mind Sir but "Fact is bitter". If your team is working like TEAM , I could get lot of hands for the things I am asking every time. Not only one "Ash" and one "Big_K". I really doubt are they contributing for CE or just removing spammers and show their presence for majority of time.

Behind the screen work may be make you to call it as "CE Team" but for me it is called as only "so-called CE Team" until it do work like an actual GOOD TEAM.

-Never Mind ๐Ÿ˜€

PS: Can I get what I am asking or have to find out myself? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    So Called CE Team (SCCET). Has a nice ring to it, actually ๐Ÿ˜€

The link you found, as well as the links GF and ms_cs provided would be sufficient. It doesnt have to be perfect on the first draft, we'll finalize it together. I do like the green and red crosses idea.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    The link you found, as well as the links GF and ms_cs provided would be sufficient. It doesnt have to be perfect on the first draft, we'll finalize it together. I do like the green and red crosses idea.
    Thanks ! Can you get me some sample posts like "one not following sms language" , "one spam", " one following language other than English" ," one with unberacale fonts/colrs"

Also , if possible Please tell " whom one should approach in what case ?" Like when to Mods, when to Ambassadors and when to Adimn and do editors exist ?

Thanks a lot Ash ! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ah, no prob. I'll PM you what you require ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    ah, no prob. I'll PM you what you require ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks ! I already told what all I need right now. Can I get them today only in next few hours? I am also searching forum for finding out examples but damn my memory is very bad. ๐Ÿ˜” Still trying.

Ok for "Sms Usage" I got. [Updation: I got a better smart way of getting samples.๐Ÿ˜ So leave it to me. ]

------------------------------------
    Updated
    [Just get me following things :
    a) An advertisment sample with links sharing.
    b) About whom to approach in what case- About SCCET. ๐Ÿ˜ ]
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Can anyone tell me when PDF -1 is going to get finalized ? Were two weeks not enough to do so? OK, not any issues if any of you cannot find time to do so just tell me, what all changes need to be done frankly, I will do so. ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks !
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys any update on the starter kit.

Later we could discuss on the Magazine..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Shalini, @ ES
    hehe! thanks for checking.
    It's almost done, just waiting upon final reviews.
  • EDDY
    EDDY
    I think we should include new guns in this project like me, as it is for new member please guys give us a chance we will not let u people down
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    durga
    @ Shalini, @ ES
    hehe! thanks for checking.
    It's almost done, just waiting upon final reviews.

Great !! Very happy to hear this !!

Thanks for the update ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Envious of your Pre toting pals and that Touchstone charging rig? Don't sweat it -- WildCharge is coming through in the clutch to bring similar wireless charging technology to Apple's...
Hi, I just received this in an e-mail. Very funny, I should say. I dunno how many of you knew these already. Still, I'm posting some of them. Some simple...
Hello all .. I m Karan and doin mechanical engineering. i ve been using net since long time and visited many sites.moderator and admin of some sites related to yahoo.....
Hello everyone I am working on a project which involves fourier registration.can anyone tell me the method to apply that in MATLAB?? i need simple fourier registration not the Fourier...
Hi rocking folks.... I have an idea to develop a product which is useful to put mehndi automatically according to the design we wish. And i don't know if anything...