Cash On Delivery (CoD) is nearing its end, it seems!

Cash on delivery aka COD seems to be coming to an end. The latest study done by Zepo indicates that < 30% of the buyers are still preferring to pay once they receive the goods in their hands and a majority of the online buyers prefer to pay using their credit and debit cards or through net-banking.

One of the reasons could be that the fear of buying online is reducing and people are now getting convinced that paying using cards or net-banking is much easier than keeping cash ready at the time of delivery. Thanks to pioneering work (in India) done by companies like Flipkart, Home Shop 18, Rediff etc.

I'm curious to ask all our CEans - do you think paying online via credit/debit cards or net-banking is better way of paying than Cash On Delivery?

Replies

• Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    I think that the number of CoD users may be decreasing in metros but as far as two & three tier city are concerned, they still prefer CoD as the safest mode. Even these people started online purchase only because of CoD payment mode. They still believe that we'll pay only after primary checkup of the product.

One Instance I saw recently that the company is also willing to serve faster to CoD customers. Two of my colleague purchased the same tablet together one through CoD & another through Debit card Payment. the CoD one got the product within 72 hrs whereas other has to wait for more than a week.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I always prefer paying with my credit / debit card. The reason being , I will not be available when the good is getting delivered, or I need to wait for the guy to deliver the product, go to atm withdraw cash and pay him.. In my opinion it is as good as going to a shop and buying something. So I prefer to pay upfront so that, my watchman or someone can pick that for me.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    Yes, paying by netbanking or credit or debit cards is better than CoD. It is both beneficial for the retailer as well as the customer. The customer does not have to worry about staying back at home just to pay for the product during the delivery and it also gets rids of the small problem of shelling out exact change. The retailers also enjoy the benefits as they do not have to worry about shipping a product to find out the user is not paying for it. A few months ago there were reports that Flipkart had shutdown the CoD for expensive products in some states due the aforementioned reasons.

The customers now have more faith on the retailers but I hope they still continue the CoD so that users without access to netbanking or credit card will be also able to purchase products online.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I am too lazy to go to ATM. Only use cash for groceries because they don't have card swipe machine😲
    If anyone have done few online transaction, they will only prefer online method , for trusted sites.

Back in 2011 my first INR. 45K translation was failed and amount deducted from my account. Which got resolved by very next day. This is other matter that I didn't slept well at that day☕.

But matter of fact you got to sure that merchant is trusted not like tradus. com.
  • hinesh
    hinesh
    to katdare,

Paying online is good as some CEins agreed. I have experience on both side.
    both were good.
    but Cash on delivery is very very secure. If you dont want to loose your sleep over your purchase than its recommended. Because as eCommerce increase the frods and thefts have increased. Report said that the online theft have increased to 200% , that the siren for online buyers. Here Cash on Delivery comes as secure option to indian mareket because here cyber security is still in baby phase.

As for online purchase there are many sites that have very secure login called SSL.
    with this your only for 4-5 on one bank site. after that the connection is terminated or reset. so the thief want able to stole data. But Crackers (hacker who do hack for crime) are more active for that. The password and ATM Debit card( now we can use them for purchase) No.s and passwords also CVV no. are all can be copied.

So, If you trust the site and your bank, the online transaction is good.
    other wise, cash on delivery is good option for present.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I agree that COD is decreasing but i would still prefer COD for higher priced products because i had some frustrating experience with online transaction and net banking especially when the transaction failed and money debited from account.I have to roam to and fro the bank to get my money back in account .Especially for online recharge .

The only benefit in net banking is we don't want to search for atm or change to pay them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Pebble Smartwatch now works with Windows Phone 8 devices thanks to the Pebble Watch Pro app that was released recently on the Windows Phone Store. The unofficial app developed by...
Nokia, the big brand in smartphones from Finland, is all set to release its new Windows Phone with Nokia Lumia 1520. Nokia India has its Twitter account post a picture...
The Government of India will soon launch 'Netra' - a NEtwork TRaffic Analysis system for Internet surveillance for the Defence Ministry. The primary purpose of the system will be detect...
A British designer Shamees Aden has realized his Wolverine dreams in a shoe, as he's formulated a concept of 3D-printed trainers that can repair themselves overnight. The shoes are made...
Curious to know whether CEans prefer 100% touchscreen aka 'touchscreen only' gadgets or the gadgets that have a few physical buttons. I personally prefer mechanical buttons that you can actually...