Carrying out CE Debates via discussion threads Vs. through CE Conference

We recently had a weekend debate where CEans participated in real time via CE Conference. It was an interesting event and all of us had a great time. I had mentioned that we'd make CE Debates / Discussions a regular activity on CE.

Based on the experience of CE Conference #1; I believe we need to make a few changes to the way debates are carried out. Here's what's on my mind -

1. We should carry debates in regular threads as against in real-time chat/conference system.

2. The debates would be timed (1-1.5 hour), but open to everyone. We won't limit the participation to just a few candidates.

3. All the other rules would remain the same and we'll pick up one winner based on points raised by members.

What do you think? Do you think this system would be a lot better than the real-time chat system for debates?

There are added advantages -
  1. You will be able to 'quote' others in your responses.
  2. You will have option to press 'agree' or 'disagree' buttons.
  3. Mods will be able to remove unwanted responses, Ask Questions, Announce Rounds etc.
Selecting the winner will be an easier and more transparent job for the moderators / judges.
There was one suggestion to make the weekend debate a 'paid' activity. Say Rs. 50 for participation and the prize would be Rs. 1000 or more (depending upon participation).
Share your feedback as soon as please.
We've another interesting topic for the next debate and we'll announce it soon! ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Rupees 50 per participation is always good. If we are spending some money then we will be prepared. Good option!

But, the chat system works better compared to the thread one, here is my take:

replying to posts is a big job, and we cant always see what others have posted. I know it updates and refreshes but a thread system is like a group email but chat is good.

What are the problems we have faced by working out this with the chat system?
    can we resolve them? and talking about transparency I think we are 100% transparent there is no issues with that!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There are issues with the chat system -
    1. Users cannot quote others. So references are lost quickly.
    2. Tagging system doesn't work inside it.
    3. The flow of messages is very fast - during open floor; it's almost impossible to follow who's said what.
    4. We only have limited moderation settings (delete a post).
    5. More the number of participants, the more is the chaos.
    Issues with the thread system -
    • You need to refresh the page every few seconds to see what others have said.
    This can be fixed by extending the time of debate from 60 minutes to 90 so that members can reply after reading every post.
    Paid entries is an option that might help us better organise the debate and offer better prizes.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Ok, Got the point so its good to go with thread system!!

Paid entries is always good , it increases the quality as well ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Pay and Prate is a good option.
    If the thread option is used, how will it be ensured that the payment has been made and the post can be uploaded?
    Would it be better if potential participants make an advance on account deposit which can be adjusted depending on participation?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    Pay and Prate is a good option.
    If the thread option is used, how will it be ensured that the payment has been made and the post can be uploaded?
    Would it be better if potential participants make an advance on account deposit which can be adjusted depending on participation?
    With the thread system, it's very much possible to enable access only to those who've paid to participate.

Perhaps, we could create a separate section inside our existing debate section and allow only those who've paid.

However, once the debate is over, we'll make the content available for everyone.

The purpose of making the entry paid would be to make sure that only those who're serious about the activity join in and contribute quality points. Of course we can ask for deposits much before the activity starts and confirm the names of participants.
  • lal
    lal
    What about merging both the thread and chat. A lot of mess can be avoided in that way I guess.

The main chaos with which ever option chosen are the off topic messages. Well, those messages are still needed though. Admins need to announce, members will have doubts and stuff like that. Using such things will make the thread too cluttered. May be a moderator will be active always to remove all those unwanted messages; still thats a huge task!

What about having the chat on the side bar just for debates so that members can ask doubts and post off topic messages right on the chat box. Admins may or may not use the chat window too to make announcements. That ensures everyone gets the announcements in realtime. Else announcements will be limited to only those who just refreshed the page!

Another thought. Threads may be locked to anyone who isn't participating, but still be able to watch and rate the messages participants post.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - That's something really interesting and may work. Doubts can be asked in the chatbox in real time. I hope it won't complicate things for participants. Something we must try! ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks for a great suggestion, pal.

There are two things to decide -

1. Should we limit the participation to select few - say < 10 people?
    2. Should we make the participation 'paid'?

The thread system may allow us to have anyone take part in the debate.
  • graphite
    graphite
    If the participation is made paid we shouldn't limit the number of participants but when the debate starts we can have each round as the elimination round and if the participation is not paid then we should limit the participants. That's what I think. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lal
    lal
    1. Yes, it is better to limit the participation to a maximum of fifteen unless there are eliminations. Even that can be a large number. We'll only find out if it is efficient only after conducting a few more debates. If things are manageable, well, then there can be no limit at all.

2. Making registrations paid may help improve the quality of the debate. I don't find any other reason to justify a registration fee. But I firmly believe that will become one reason to lower the number of participations. Besides, should it be made paid in the beginning itself? I don't think so.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm thinking whether making the debates paid would really have any effect on the quality of contributions made. I think we may organise a formal debate competition on CE which would be paid.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, I don't know about the paying option, but restricting is not good according to me, Everyone should have right to participate and present their views, and yes, as done this time, that after the said time, no one was allowed, I think that was good and fair enough.

Moreover, I think, that yes threads would work better for this.

I have a suggestion, we can have everyone to submit a article or something like that, explaining their idea and views, then the top 10-15 people would be only there and other's eliminated.

Then they would cross question and each would be given a chance to present some statistics, to prove their words, explain why they support or not in favor of an idea.

Then the Top 5 participants would be left, and as discussed in the last round of debate held this time, there would be an open round, and then winner declared.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    lal
    Making registrations paid may help improve the quality of the debate.
    Well, I personally don't agree at this.

How can paying money could be a sure sign of improving the content?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, I personally don't agree at this.

How can paying money could be a sure sign of improving the content?
    I think meant the participants would prepare for the event more seriously - which may bring in more quality.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    From the judge's perspective - eliminating candidates during the progress of the debate is *very* difficult. Sometimes, you've to read and re-read the text to know what the user wanted to say. It's different when the debate's are done in person.

Having a thread-based debate would enable the judges to go through each response in depth and then make better decisions.

There are several advantages of limiting the number of participants viz. less clutter, better judging - and overall better debate/discussion.

I think we will try out a thread-based debate and find out how it goes. Will announce the topic by tomorrow evening.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    From the judge's perspective - eliminating candidates during the progress of the debate is *very* difficult. Sometimes, you've to read and re-read the text to know what the user wanted to say. It's different when the debate's are done in person.

Having a thread-based debate would enable the judges to go through each response in depth and then make better decisions.

There are several advantages of limiting the number of participants viz. less clutter, better judging - and overall better debate/discussion.

I think we will try out a thread-based debate and find out how it goes. Will announce the topic by tomorrow evening.
    Yes Sir, during the debate, making decisions is a very hard task, but the rounds could be held at some interval may be...?
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    +1 to thread based discussion (note - not debate). What's the point of debating where everybody has a view, where the topics have already been discussed threadbare? I'd prefer a forum where we can generate ideas (e.g. what would be a good civil engg. thesis topic related to rainfall?). That will automatically reduce unnecessary noise and associated issues.
  • anuraadha
    anuraadha
    I think we can make the discussion both paid and limit the number of participation to 10. ๐Ÿ˜’
    Or rather it would be like because we have to pay we would be more responsible and try to give a quality solution. Which means we would participate only when we must concentrate on content. It can be first come first serve basis.
    I don't know if I am making it clear here.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We missed out this weekend. Do you think we should carry this out sometime during the weekdays?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We missed out this weekend. Do you think we should carry this out sometime during the weekdays?
    It's very very difficult for me in the weekdays.. ๐Ÿ˜”
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    You know what's the problem which I noticed a lot on CE? Its over planning!

I remember one dialogue delivered by Akshay Kumar in movie Hera Pheri, "Bhais abhi chara hi kha rahi hai aur tum dahi bechne ki baat kar rahe ho!"

That was just one debate went and everyone's like this should be done, that should also be done, we must make it paid etc etc etc. First, let the event happen as it is for 4-5 times, then only go for improvements. You'll also know how much interested the people are in the event. The success of the movie doesn't depend on how many people were present in the first show, it is like how many people are still present after a week of the movie being released. I would suggest to keep a little patience and try to make sure the event does happens the way its planned to be instead of presuming that its a hit and we must bring a total reform in it. You see the result? You were so busy in planning the vague reforms that the event itself didn't happened this weekend. This is not the first time to be honest.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Would love to have volunteers to make this happen. Anyone?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Would love to have volunteers to make this happen. Anyone?
    Volunteers for what, I can't get you?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Prototype]
    You know what's the problem which I noticed a lot on CE? Its over planning!

I remember one dialogue delivered by Akshay Kumar in movie Hera Pheri, "Bhais abhi chara hi kha rahi hai aur tum dahi bechne ki baat kar rahe ho!"

That was just one debate went and everyone's like this should be done, that should also be done, we must make it paid etc etc etc. First, let the event happen as it is for 4-5 times, then only go for improvements. You'll also know how much interested the people are in the event. The success of the movie doesn't depend on how many people were present in the first show, it is like how many people are still present after a week of the movie being released. I would suggest to keep a little patience and try to make sure the event does happens the way its planned to be instead of presuming that its a hit and we must bring a total reform in it. You see the result? You were so busy in planning the vague reforms that the event itself didn't happened this weekend. This is not the first time to be honest.
    You have a point. We need people who can step up and take up the responsibilities if all these activities are to be done regularly. At present, all my energies are being put into the launch of next big thing on CE.

It's also a fact that we don't have many content creators on CE. Content is important for us to keep going, but looking at the number of threads created; it's either me or our VoiCE authors who start new topics.

Which means we continuously have to keep an eye on the content generation; which results into our new activities taking a back-seat at times.

It'd be simply awesome if 10 CEans can take up the responsibility of creating new content on CE - by creating new discussions, adding quick responses to questions, creating resources etc. It will allow me to execute new, innovative, important things on CE.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Content is important for us to keep going, but looking at the number of threads created; it's either me or our VoiCE authors who start new topics.
    I am very much surprised(even disappointed) after reading this.
    Unlike VoiCEans; We, the CEans are not getting paid for our posts/threads.Even though just for the love for this community, we're contributing (Atleast, I am - I don't know about others) without expecting anything back but praise.
    And see what are we getting in return ?
    ---->
    it's either me or our VoiCE authors who start new topics.
    Come on,man! Learn to give some credit to the guy who literally contributes.Even the three words : "Good Job,Son" make us feel that our work is being appreciated.

As Felipe Andres Coronel said,"Talk to em' honestly and they call you a hater"
    So,I won't be spilling out my feels anymore.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I take my words back - but that was a very general statement. The only meaning that should be derived out of it is that the amount of content we're generating is just enough for us to survive.

...and when things don't happen the way they're planned, people are unhappy. It's going to be a collaborative effort.

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's sentiments and the fact is that it's not just me and VoiCE authors who're contributing. But there's another fact that the thread creation by members isn't what it should be. It does not mean I'm blaming anyone. It might just be a fact that CE isn't up to everyone's expectations that they want to share content here.

I'm sorry if my earlier post hurts anyone's sentiments.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Let's just keep doing it on CE Conference. Like the first one. We will improve each time we conduct it. We will need just one co-ordinator - just like Biggie did in the first one.

One person who will 'conduct' the entire show. Without whom there will be a chaos.

Volunteers, please come forward. Topics are aplenty. We can have the next debate this weekend. ๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, Our earlier setup required CEans to login using different credentials to post their comments on our blog. However, the upgraded system solves that problem by allowing members to comment...
I am in my 4th year. So this year i have to start my undergrad thesis. My advisor suggested me any topic related rainfall. Suppose, Relation between Rainfall and river...
Fuel efficiency: 1000 passenger Km/liter.
Induction Heaters have literally become hosehold words. Huge numbers are sold all over the world. This century old Tesla (who else?) technology can be used for all sorts of lighting...
JavaOne India returns and is being held again this year at the Hyderabad International Convention Centre. As always, the two days will be packed full with more valuable content from...