Carrier ethernet in India

Hello fellow CEans in India!

For those involved with networking.. hows the current progress for adoption of carrier Ethernet in India? Have service providers tested out equipments of different vendors?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    well, I'm interested in networking, but I haven't heard about this carrier ethernet. Pardon my ignorance.

Can you briefly describe what it is..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Don't worry, even I had no clue until I did my training ๐Ÿ˜›

Basically carrier ethernet uses ethernet technology as the communications backbone. You have huge routers and switches that connect between WANs. Since most communications are converging to data such as voice (VoIP) and TV (IPTV), carriers and other service providers are turning their focus on ethernet.

Good thing is, ethernet has a super high bandwidth. Speeds of 10Mbps could be common for households soon!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    you mean larger scale SKYPE eh?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, not really skype in particular. Basically, you're implementing a very large scale LAN connection (i.e WAN). Thus, any data traffic (including Internet) is routed through this ethernet infrastructure.

Also, VoIP has already been implemented in some backbones of existing telecom carriers. For international calls, the analog signals are digitized and sent over the internet before reaching the destination exchange.

So, once ethernet reaches the house.. you don't need a seperate phone line, TV cable, or whatever. Everything is converged ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    wow, interesting.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ah !

Not sure about INDIA, but in AUS , yup telcos are providing IPTV, IPhone, Data all as a single service.
    You just need a mormal eMTA at the customer end for Voice and data, as far as IPTV is related its direclty from internet .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Help me out with this numerical- A d'Arsonval meter of 200ohm dc coil and o-1mA sensitivity gives full scale reading of 10mamp on using a shunt resistance of a)2.22ohm b)22.2ohm...
Dear all, Iam looking for a photodetector of 20mm lonk strip and must be IR and daylight photodetector, must not be array type. If you provide datasheet then i will...
i'm an electronic and communication Engineering student. plz give me some ideas for a topic for final year.๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•
i'm final year enginnering student give me some ideas for a electronic and telecommunication project
Deccan Chargers, led by Adam Gilchrist is putting up a fantastic show. Herschelle Gibbs crafted an unbeaten half-century as the Deccan Chargers maintained their position at the top of the...