Career growth| How long will it take?

I'm sure most of us had this question before we graduated and now many more are yet to graduate. My question is:

1. How much time do you analyse that it will take for an engineering graduate fresher to become a real Engineer/grow to a recognizable position in career?

2. What is your strategy for career growth with respect to personal growth?

3. Does occasional versatility in job choice help in growth of the individual?

4. Would you prefer working nearby to your home or get abroad? Does your inner patriotism often hinder your choice of job location and thereby affect your overall growth?

5. Does your society look down on you if you prefer turning down a better offer abroad for the fact that you want to stay with your family in your home country? If you are a person working abroad, tell us how does it feel?

What's your take?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    anoopthefriend
    I'm sure most of us had this question before we graduated and now many more are yet to graduate. My question is:

5. Does your society look down on you if you prefer turning down a better offer abroad for the fact that you want to stay with your family in your home country? If you are a person working abroad, tell us how does it feel?

What's your take?
    I am not aware of all the other points much as I am yet to venture into this scenario,

When my cousin got a job in US his peers started telling him that you will become ruined your attitude will become ugly and many shit stuff

Right now he is in a well settled position in US and earns REALLY BIG BUCKS all those who ill adviced him are all now envying his success

So this makes it clear that it is the individual's own position in the future that will tell stories about us. Not what others think

You will be judged if you choose a foreign opp and also when you reject a foreign opportunity So it is pointless to listen to others judgement

Pursue your dream in any place and never be bothered about what others say
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    1. It depends really. Can be as early as 2 years, if you work diligently. You may only be officially called a senior engineer after 5 years in a couple of industries, but its how much practical experience or key technical achievements that actually counts.

2. Always find ways on how you can improve your work flow, as well as seek knowledge beyond your current domain. Get involved or be interested in all the business processes of your company. Once you get a taste of both technical and managerial parts, its easier to plot out your growth.

3. Yes, versatility helps. For example in telco, getting involved in RF optimization up till IP core allows you to understand the whole architecture. This gives you better understanding and allows for novel approaches when troubleshooting issues, as well as contributing ideas for planning. The great thing about engineering is that we all have transferable skills that can be applied else where, even outside of the field.

4/5. I'd take any chance for opportunities that can help me develop professionally and become expert across different fields. I see that once you reach that point, it gives you better chances in contributing to your country. I feel these opportunities exists both locally and abroad. Just need to know where to look 😀
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anyone else feels that career growth in India is too slow? I'm also interested to know if people would stick on to one company or keep changing companies in order to excel. What exactly do you think would be the beneficial form of training for freshers to turn to better breeds of engineers?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    anoopthefriend
    1. How much time do you analyse that it will take for an engineering graduate fresher to become a real Engineer/grow to a recognizable position in career?
    Real engineering starts within and even before one gets into an engineering college. But in regular terms, you need to be immensely interested in engineering and technology to be an engineer.

Recognisable position in career is actually very loosely defined. You'd be known to your team-mates and at the most 2 levels up and down in the hierarchy. I think this stage requires about 7-10 years in the industry, without jumping companies!

anoopthefriend
    2. What is your strategy for career growth with respect to personal growth?
    I think these two are very inter-connected and one cannot have a separate plan for professional and personal goal. The fine print says that if you love your job and are passionate about the things you're working on - all round growth follows.

anoopthefriend
    3. Does occasional versatility in job choice help in growth of the individual?
    I'm not sure. It didn't work in my case. I switched from services based company to a products company in a span of about 3.5 years. Apart from the environmental change, everything else remained the same. I think versatility comes from your part-time activities. This might sound totally odd; but for me, I learned 10x more through my part-time activities than through my job. But that could just be me because I was super-active at the job and at my part-time activities as well. CE's a product of my part-time activity when I was employed.

anoopthefriend
    4. Would you prefer working nearby to your home or get abroad? Does your inner patriotism often hinder your choice of job location and thereby affect your overall growth?
    In my case, I deliberately chose to work at an office that was 10 minutes walk from my home. Why? Because I knew that I'd not remain in IT industry forever and needed some free time to figure out what I really wanted to do in my life. I could learn Guitar in those days and also work on CE.

As I said, the growth wouldn't come from external factors. They come from what's inside you. If you've the fire within (and I mean real fire!), the geography becomes immaterial.

anoopthefriend
    Not the society, but your near and dear ones will definitely give you 'the look'. I chose to live with my family (and still do). My concepts of 'growth' and 'career' are totally different from the norms.

The near and dear ones will also want you to have the best - and their norms are set by what they see and hear all day from their contacts. That's why a guy who's gone on-site for 'training' is considered 'extra-intelligent' of the lot. It just the way it is.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    anoopthefriend
    Anyone else feels that career growth in India is too slow? I'm also interested to know if people would stick on to one company or keep changing companies in order to excel. What exactly do you think would be the beneficial form of training for freshers to turn to better breeds of engineers?
    Developing genuine interest in engineering would be a key factor. It's seriously missed these days!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Developing genuine interest in engineering would be a key factor. It's seriously missed these days!
    For that an Electronics Engineer needs to work in a electronic firm

That will be the only solution here
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare

One who's a born engineer might have an urge for self improvement. What about the case of others who are merely following the crowd or looking for a better lifestyle through engineering? Not all students select engineering because they fully understand what it is about. The interest for computers and latest technology could be one driving factor. Other than that, most of them are often confused at choosing their career.

I've come across some individuals who've asked me what they should do with their lives. This is a question that only the individual can fully comprehend. We as elders can just guide our younger friends and relatives with what ever knowledge we acquire, and through careful analysis about the characteristics and interests of the individual. For me, being an Electronics and Communications graduate has been an average result. I did not fully enjoy electronics; but I love communication part of it. Hence I work in the communications field.

However, there are lots of engineers who shift their respective fields and try out easier job-fetching fields in IT and Software fields.

How do you think an individual who is about to join an engineering college will be able to understand where that course would take him further up in his life? Is the risk he takes worth it or is a thorough counselling required before joining an engineering stream? Even today, I was asked by 2 friends about various streams, and I tried to help them out. There is always a parent problem or a self-underestimation problem in either one of them. What kids don't understand is that what they select now will actually affect them in future. How to bring about this awareness? I know all these things coz I studied in an Engineering college for 4 years. What about a newbie? Let me know what you guys do to suggest courses to your friends!
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Why are people so afraid of experimenting? Why are they afraid of failure? Why do they have to get it right the first time or else life is useless? I'm a firm believer of finding my own space in my own way.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, sometimes the job market conditions isn't so favourable for the passion you want to take. Some people are lucky enough to ride along the fluctuations and risks, but some really do need a stable job to provide a living for family. Its a matter of your priorities at the time.

Though at the end, you can still seek your passion later down the road. Options are always open and there are many paths you can take.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    From point of view
    1)It will take atleast 15 years if we properly plan for future and work towards it
    2)For many people career growth may appear soon .But personal growth definitely takes its own time.
    3)occasional versatility has its own benefits.I will go for it
    4)I will opt for nearby location
    As I keep family in first preference.All we earn is just to be happy.Yes location criteria may hinder personal growth.
    5)Yes the society look to loot from us so they force to take the abroad job offer.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Engineering field has helped a lot of poor families, to improve their standard of living. When your dad works the ass-hard for 5 months to collect 50 grands for the studies which are spent in a single day for college tution fees & books for a single sem, at that time students hardly think about quality of job, their interest or any other thing.The objective of the student is just to improve the current condition of the family.

Now,India has 80% of lower middle class students in Engineering domain, the motherfucking business heads exploited the lower middle class engineers just to make more money.
    Eg : A student gets opportunity of 30 grands per month in non-core domain, & 25 grands in core domain.He will opt for 30G's only, 5 grands means a lot for them!

We in CE, are just mere whining that Indian engineers are this & that.We're talking that Engineers lack the interest in engineering. No it's not always like that.
    Poverty is the reason why this problem exist. IT business exploiters are the reason why this problem exist.

I have seen rich fags end up with nothing good, even though they have full access to all resources. While, the lower middle class students even they're talented enough to do something innovative, they can't! because they never get the props for that.

I am tired of hearing that Indian Engineers are this & that.

Sorry if this is off-topic.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Many countries spends billions on space projects to other planets.But We were wasting the live Earth and trying to explore other planets for human survival.As a engineer we have a...
On the 19th July Saturn will eclipse the sun. Using this opportunity Carolyn Porco, who took the famous Blue Marble shot is planning an ambitious high resolution shot of the...
Something interesting for CEans to entertain would be CEan children: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=bring-science-home-hammer-ruler-balance
China's TIANHE-2 (Milkyway 2 that is) has a mind blowing speed of 33.86 petaflops and is ahead of schedule by two years! It is twice as fast as the current...
Mini-satellites have become increasingly popular in recent times. Whether it’s a DIY project involving a Raspberry Pi or experimental smartphone satellites, these tiny satellites have a huge potential in the...