Can SD Cards Replace SIM cards?

Alright, here comes the declaration: I'm a big zero when it comes to telecommunication engineering. But since my phone has both the SIM card and the MicroSD card, I was wondering whether the microSD card could replace the SIM card.

It would be pretty cool if someone could do that 😉 What say you? Experts, please comment.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    are you saying- you want to add more memory to the SIM and get rid of the MIcroSD card? but dont you think having two different cards serves the purpose better? what id your SIM SD card is full of data? you would end up changing your SIM?

Or I got it totally wrong.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's right, it would be nice if the microSD does both SIM & storage. Well, your point is valid. I think 2 GB is more than enough storage for regular contact storage. Of course SD cards are used to store music, videos and photos. But if the same thing can be used to store your network data; why not?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    oh Well! integration itself would not be a formidable one I think( not considering the electronics involved though ), but again if 2 Gb was enough, Apple would not come up with 64Gig phones. Nevertheless that's not the discussion about. Even if we consider integrating SIm and SD ( with say some X GB), it would be more smoother if - only SIM details could be copied over , or only the non-SIM details could be copied over and in countries without Port facility -moving across service providers would be umm.. not too good.
    its not only about cards, even the card readers ( both SIM and SD card) need to be modified to merge the functionality of both.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just applied for syndicate bank clerical post.I believe that I can perform well in written test.I want to know how to prepare for the direct interviews? what type of...
hi friends..i am a 3rd cs student and i need the latest topics for presentation regarding "security in computing"..could u please help me?
I want to know that basically what makes a computer for super powerful computing? How the devices are made which allows complex computations at greater speed and can improve database...
hi which action movie you want to see again and again? ---------------------------------------- Top Ten Lists|Top10Movies|Top 10 Music
doubts on project-it's urgent i completed my b-tech IIIyear ECE.i have done a mini project on MICRO CONTROLLER BASED MESSEGE SWITCHING THROUGH KEYBOARD.but i think it's not much effective..so please...